The Long Road - My AV setup from start to finish

MrO

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just thought id put up a few pictures of my (soon to be) home cinema (still a bit pathetic at the mo)

I'm only 21 and live at home with the folks but am lucky as I have lots of space. This is due to the fact I'm in what should be the loft on the third floor, in which there are two rooms, my bed room (where the tv will be installed) and a smaller room (where my computer is). My bedroom is on the large side (around 20 foot long by 12 foot wide)

To start here is the room before any of the kit was bought.

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

the first thing to do was get rid of the junk id built up over the years, of which there was quite a lot, so much so that when I moved said 'junk' to the room next door it look a little like this

DSC00073.jpg

:eek:(this around the point I start thinking – “why do I have these ‘good' ideas” lol)

Now I had a bit of room I could start to put a bit of new paint on the walls I chose ‘gentle fawn' from the Dulux range for the wall that would eventually be behind the AV equipment. This will provide a neutral colour so that images on screen will appear crisp and as close to their natural colour as possible.

DSC00072.jpg

For the rest of the walls I stayed with good old white. It doesn't bother me too much that the room is quite light as most of my film watching is done after dark.

The skylight may pose a problem on a sunny day so will investigate when the TV arrives. If it is a problem the I will fit a black out blind.

DSC00071.jpg

For now this is the finished product not great but it will do for the next week or so.
The AV area against the neutral wall:

DSC00082.jpg

A pic of the DVD shelving.

DSC00080.jpg

And Finally a picture my little seating area (depending on my mood I can sit up or lie in bed watching film after film) on the wall I have my framed Clerks poster signed by director Kevin Smith

DSC00084.jpg

The Kit list (Old):

Sony TV
Phillips Freeview Box
JVC VCR
Sony DVD player

The Kit List (New):

Samsung 50” Plasma PS50Q97HDX
Toshiba HD-E1 HDDVD player
Onkyo 605 Amp
Surround sound ??? (still to be decided – feel free to give advice)
Sky

That's it for now will update this sometime next week as the new kit arrives :D

UPDATE 28/09/07

Finaly the New TV has arrived. After being mucked around so much trying to buy the C series of smasung in the end i got the PS50Q97HDX :D

Please excuse the cables they will be going soon (one thing at a time people)

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

And the HD-DVD player is here!

DSC00096.jpg

I'm so pleased with this TV only had it a few hours and i can already tell its a gooden, the pictures on HD disks are stunning

Next up (on tuesday) will be Sky (cant quite afford Sky HD at the moment)

This is going to be a very nice room. Why don't you get a remote control blackout blind from Velux and your room will be nice and dark for daytime movie watching. The new ones have a small solar panel in the back and so you won't have to worry about getting up there to change batteries.

thanks all. :thumbsup:

the remote blind sound like a gd idea will have to look into costs. (somewhere my credit card is weaping lol)

The blind will be £122.99. For some reason Velux charges the same regardless of size for remote blinds. Velux will charge you £205 however but if you go to Vale Blinds you'll get one for £122.99. They are the cheapest I could find. I've just bought four.:eek:

If you're wondering about surround sound, it's DEFINITLY a good idea, especially with movies and/or Sky HD.

If you're wondering about surround sound, it's DEFINITLY a good idea, especially with movies and/or Sky HD.

lol i know its a gd idea just don't know what make/model. its been suggested on this site that i look at the AEGO T speakers :smashin:

someones been to Ikea !!!!
bought my bedroom furniture from there 7 years ago and sadly still going strong.i want an excuse to upgrade the room but it'll be a waste of money.

haha what can i say its cheap, easy to put togeather and does the job. i bought these a few years ago as well, i find that moving it round all the time keeps it all looking fresh :rotfl:

update in first post ^^

:thumbsup:

Just a very quick update:

have added some lights behind the draw units (hard to capture on camera but you get the idea)

DSC00146.jpg

and the latest edition to my ever growing family, the PS3 (a rubbish pic i know but all know what they look like lol)

DSC00147.jpg

still have the stupid modem lying across my bedroom floor feeding the computer in the other room, need to set up a wireless conection to sort that out! Also need to buy some backing board to hide the wires behind the Plasma. all soon to come :thumbsup:

Coming along nicely there SG :thumbsup:. Those lights give a nice effect and the PS3 looks sweeeeet with the rest of the kit:smashin:Happy gaming!

thanks m8, really glad i bit the bullet and got the PS3. Being out of the format war feels great :D

Bejasus what a brilliant bedroom!

Superb working area youv'e got their SG. A 50" plasma, HD player and PS3 in their, do you ever leave that room? I know I wouldn't...

With the lighting, I would suggest trying it behind the plasma itself rather that the side units. Will give a much more relaxing effect on the eye when watching movies in the dark.

Onkyo 605 next eh? Then an all in one remote, then a PJ, then a sub, then a ... A never ending, but worthwhile hobby.

...Superb working area youv'e got their SG. A 50" plasma, HD player and PS3 in their, do you ever leave that room? I know I wouldn't...

and sky dont forget :lesson: :rotfl:

Trust me since getting this lot set up I pretty much live in my room :rotfl: if only I didn’t have to go to work – even though I do love it really (I know I’m sad). Suits me fine staying in my room as the main TV of the house (a 36" Toshiba) looks pitiful in comparison.

Yea surround sound is next, really feel like I’m missing out on the full HD experience at the moment. That will hopefully come in the next month or two. As for the rest of the kit you suggest..….well lets just say it is all on my never ending list

The lights are really only temporary as I would like to put the Plasma on the wall, not sure how likely that is though as I may be moving within the next year or so.

Thanks for the kind words

Looks mint, fella.

I've just got a remote control velux blackout blind for my attic - very impressed; didn't think it would be as good as it is. Fitted it on my lunchbreak; it's a doddle and even at midday it darkened the room completely.

Shopped around on t'internet, and it's well worth the money.

Thanks for that been thinking about some black out blinds, would like to get the folks to pay for it ideally (hey there not my windows lol) would need something for the other two windows in the room (your bog standard wall window) any suggestions

Very nice setup there:thumbsup:

Very nice, really like the screen and it looks especially good in such a stylish room.

Very nice, really like the screen and it looks especially good in such a stylish room.

thanks m8, just cant wait to get the surround sound in, then i'll be happy(er) - (until the next thing comes along lol)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom