• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Long Kiss Goodnight sequel

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Director Renny Harlin is developing a sequel to the 1996 cult hit, 'The Long Kiss Goodnight', and Samuel L Jackson will be back.

When asked about the first film during a press junket for his upcoming dvd release '5 Days of War', Harlin says;
"I am developing a sequel for that , Sam is hundred percent committed, he's hundred percent on board," said Harlin. "My plan is to focus on a story about Geena's daughter, who was six years old in the original and would now be about twenty-one. It's actually gonna be sort of a buddy story between Geena's daughter and Sam."

Original writer Shane Black will not be back to pen the sequel;
"Shane is not gonna write it," Harlin admitted, "so I'm right now looking for a writer who would have the same incredible sensibilities in terms of character, humour and action."

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed the original but do we really need a sequel?

Bri

Even Harlin has to eat. Yeah why not, we've had 7 Harry Potter's, 4 Pirates of the Caribbean's, and 5 Fast and The Furious film :D

But if Black was writing it, then i would be really interested.

Mark_a

Prominent Member
Surely if she's 20 he'd be on a zimmer frame by now? A story of a six foot blonde killer babe who visits an old friend in the OAP's home?

Regards

Mark

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Renny Harlin was married to Geena Davis at the time. I loved the original film, but this sounds a bit lame.

aprout

Distinguished Member
Surely if she's 20 he'd be on a zimmer frame by now? A story of a six foot blonde killer babe who visits an old friend in the OAP's home?

Regards

Mark

Well, the original did come out 15 years ago (!), & Sam's still walking unaided as far as I know... :D

Love the original, but if Black's not writing again there seems little point in returning.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I hope not, 'cause I'm thinking how much my balls hurt!"

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Great film, I love it, the original that is LOL

it is available on BR region 1 at the mo.

Hated the original. One of those bloated 90s action films where I don't believe in a singe character, situation or line of dialogue. The shame is that Geena Davis was a good and very likable actress and that hack Renny Harlin close to sank her career with a number of costly flops.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Great film, I love it, the original that is LOL

it is available on BR region 1 at the mo.
It's also available on UK Blu-ray.

Love the movie, but it's not crying out for a sequel. And as said above, without Shane Black's writing it just won't be the same.

"That's a duck, not a dick!"

bullitt68

Established Member
Wasn't bothered by the original.
And, "It's actually gonna be sort of a buddy story between Geena's daughter and Sam", sounds ridiculous!!!

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Surely the original was bad enough, why make a sequel:confused:

J1mbo

Established Member
Hated the original. One of those bloated 90s action films where I don't believe in a singe character, situation or line of dialogue. The shame is that Geena Davis was a good and very likable actress and that hack Renny Harlin close to sank her career with a number of costly flops.

Oooooh, tut! I think it's a very fun movie indeed. The sillier side of Bourne.

Haven't seen it for ages, but it was one of my favorite films way back.

Mark_a

Prominent Member
Egads! I'm siding with Pincho on something. Love the movie. I think the world really must be ending today after all.

Regards

Mark

mjn

Distinguished Member
Can't beat the "Baywatch Nights" scene in that film, or the dog licking its ass at the dinner table...

wastedyuthe

Distinguished Member

I liked the original myself- silly popcorn entertainment.

Was it a flop then? I know her pirate film was- I can't even remember what it was called!

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Was it a flop then? I know her pirate film was- I can't even remember what it was called!

Don't think it flopped. It gained a reputation on Laserdisc for being demo worthy. I can attest to that.:cool:

Her pirate film was Cutthroat Island.

neroon

Established Member
Even Harlin has to eat. Yeah why not, we've had 7 Harry Potter's, 4 Pirates of the Caribbean's, and 5 Fast and The Furious film :D

But if Black was writing it, then i would be really interested.

I also enjoyed the original Long Kiss Goodnight and if Shane Black was writing it I would be extremely interested. Actually I wish Shane Black would write more action comedies, whether it be a sequel to this film or otherwise.

I guess I'm still interested in seeing this if it's actually made which is more than I can say about most Hollywood action films these days. I do think Geena Davis would need to make a cameo appearance though and can it be made an R rated movie? Personally I can't see it being anything but PG 13 which immediately dulls my interest immensely.:(

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom