1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Long Good Friday - dvd rot?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Kronin, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

A few weeks ago I rented a copy of The Long Good Friday (Anchor Bay release) from dvdsontap, however on receipt of the film I noticed that the disc was in a bit of a sorry state - the silver around the egde of the disc was frailing in places and theres a "bubble" in the centre clear plastic ring. The actual surface of the disc looked ok however so I thought that it would still be playable. Well I was wrong! It would freeze at certain points in the film and on a few occassions would actually jump entire scenes. After a quick email to dvdsontap explaining the situation everything was sorted out, a week on my subscription refunded etc. this isnt a rant against dvdsontap!

But having only seen roughly half of the film I still wanted to watch the rest obviously, so I bought my own copy from Play presumably safe in the knowledge that a brand new copy would of course work fine. Again I was wrong! To my suprise there was still frailing on the silver edge and another bubble in the centre, and of course yet again the disc refuses to play properly.

It does perform a bit better than the rental disc in as much that I was able to watch the end of the film, but it would still skip and jump at the same points in the first half.

Ive tried playing this on two different standalone players (Philips DVDR880 and a Pioneer DV340), and have even tried ripping the vobs on my PC just to see if that works but It doesnt, it freezes on the first vob.

Ive checked the Anchor Bay forum and nothing has been reported on there, and have tried to email Anchor Bay at webmaster@anchorbay.co.uk but it bounces back :( (cant seem to find any other contact for them).

My question is what should/could I do next ? Does this sound like it could be the dreaded DVD rot or have I just been unlucky ? And also, should I keep trying to email Anchor Bay (if anyone has a different email addy then please post) or should I email Play and attempt to try a third disc ? Finally, If anyone else has a region2 copy of The Long Good Friday could you have a quick look at the disc and let me know if youve had/having any problems with it ?

Thanks in advance for listening to me rant :)

2. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a problem with this disc when I bought it from Woolies sale. The first one I got refused to play about 10 minutes in. Cleaning it didn't work and it seemed to have a sort of scratch 'under the surface' if you know what I mean? Like 4 little dots? Never seen anything like it. I imagine there was a faulty batch, but the replacement disc I got works fine.

Though it could have been Woolies less than perfect storage methods. I would get another disc.

3. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx KRRK,

I havent got the disc close to hand at the moment, I lent it to a friend of mine to see if he could get it working but hes having the same problems.

Ive just asked him to check for dots though and he says that there is a group of about 3 dots in the shape of a triangle - sound familiar ?
    I remember that the rental copy had them too, and described it to dvdsontap as "pitting" although at the time I presumed that it was just wear and tear on the disc as it was a rental after all.

Anyway thanks again for your input, I'll contact play and try a replacement.

4. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bought this back in November and left it in a cupboard till last weekend only to find it froze after 10 minutes. Took it back and got a refund. Went to another supplier only to find that did the same. There seems to be an imperfection in the disc, looks like a cluster of dots same as the first one. Took that one back but no more copies so had to accept a refund again.

:rolleyes:

5. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen this come up on a number of threads since the original post and it seems that there is a fairly large, faulty batch out there.

6. Elsie Grammar

Elsie Grammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmm. Bought this from Play about 4 weeks ago, but it's been sitting in the old 'to watch' pile since then. Took the disc out last night for an inspection and there was the tell tale bubble in the centre :( Couldn't see any dots on the disc itself, but its general condition was not great - scuffed in various places. If I didn't know better I would have said that I'd been sent a second hand disc! Not impressed. I'll give it a go in the player on Friday or Saturday. Looks likely to be a return to Play for a refund unfortunately. I'll post the results here later.

Bugger. I really love that film as well :(

7. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine about 3 months ago and still haven't watched it yet. Could be a good reason to give is a spin this weekend. The disc looked fine on initial inspection but the light wasn't great.

Cheers for the heads up though :smashin:

8. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I hope the powers that be will be reissuing this disc.

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I bought mine at Play in one of their sales just after Christmas. This thread prompted me into playing mine, which I'm happy to report played fine.

I'd almost forgotton what a cracking film this is.

The DD5.1 track is nasty though - switched back to the original stereo surround track after about 5 minutes.

10. Elsie Grammar

Elsie Grammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got to watch this over the week-end. Pleased (and a little surprised) to be able to report that it played perfectly, in spite of the condition of the disc.

Still a fabulous film - every bit as good as I remember it. Bob Hoskins' performance was just mesmeric. Defo. one of my Desert Island DVDs this one.