The Log Cabin Build

JokerJack

Established Member
Reaction score
**** thought i would update the front page as the cinema is complete on the inside and is getting lots of use :) sorry about the lame pics..

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG

The colour is little green Hicks Blue, its very flat and doesnt look grey like it does in the above pics. So happy with the way its turned out, everyone that has come round to see has been blown away. The speaker covers have worked much better than i thought they would, everyone just thinks they are pics :)

Last edited:
Good skills. I look forward to the updates. Are you planning any soundproofing/heating or should these not be issues?

Yep on both fronts, we use 50mm batten inside walls and create an expansion joint to allow the logs to move and then use Rockwell and plasterboard with green glue for soundproofing, will also create a floating floor and insulate the outside of the roof before fitting the EPDM, Not decided on heating yet but might go with an electric oil bolier.. Maybe

Hi everyone, so made loads of progress over the weekend. Finished digging out the foundation for the front of the cabin, took down the old shed, built the new one and cleared all the rubbish from the old wall and soil. Now just need to pour some concrete.

After some advise here, as you can see from the pictures above, my garden has a step hill. The next door garden on the left is level with the soil but the house at the back and the house on the right are about 300 to 400mm lower. The original plan was to build on the slab to conform to building regs but that means I have to dig out a massive amount of soil to step down into the cabin and also to allow the doors to open. Do you think I will get into trouble if I build the cabin on piers level to the ground and next doors garden on the left? This would mean though, the house at the back and the right garden, the cabin would sit at about 2.8 meters but from my graden and the left garden it would still be 2.5? Hope this makes sense :)

Last edited:
so from the front of the cabin (the highest point)it is 2,363 and the back is 2,295. I plan on putting a couple of courses of concrete blocks down so about 220mm and then 100mm joists to sit the cabin on.. which will take it about 220mm to high, oh well, fingers crossed. Will have to drop the garden a bit but i guess if i can demonstrate that i have tried to conform it might go a little better.
Haus_Yorick_without_WIndows_44_mm-Model_pdf2_1__pdf__1_page_.jpg

Haus_Yorick_without_WIndows_44_mm-Model_pdf4_pdf__1_page_.jpg

Did you mean building regs? Or planning permission?

I'm pretty sure building regs don't apply to (in a nice way) a shed.

If you're concern is the planning permission, then it's dependent on your relationship with the neighbours, as they're the ones who are going to drop you in it.

yeah building regs as you can only go to 2.5 meters if within the 2 meter boundary of the neighbours.. i guess it's just where do they measure that height from? From one side i would be ok from the other two i would be over by about 200mm.

No, that's planning - not building regs.

The height is measured from the ground level from that side I believe.....so it would technically need planning permission....

Sorry planning.. Long day at work and brain has shutdown :) for it to be classed as permitted development it has to be 2.5 in total.

No matter what way I do this, other than getting some people in to rip up the existing concrete and dig it all out and lay a new concrete slab I will be at about 200mm over at the lowest corner due to fall on the slab. Oh well.. Let's hope the neighbours don't complain hey :)

Hi mate,

How much do these cabins cost ,are they secure , this could be another option to the garage conversion
Thanks Martin

been having a think of how i am going to soundproof / insulate the cabin. The original plan was to use a layer of batten and 50mm Rockwall, then have 2 layers of plasterboard stuck together with green glue but man this stuff is expensive!! Do you think it be would just as good to use the layer of batten and rockwall still but add panels, 50mm of rockwall stuck to mdf and covered in fabric.

The thinking behind this would be to reduce costs but also will add room treatment and provides the finish to the room as well.. appreciate any advise :) thanks

I'd recommend against MDF as it'll absorb water and expand - especially if you're using it in a cabin outside.

Ply or OSB would be more stable. If the cost is in the green glue, you could lose that and go for another layer of plasterboard?

Thanks geps, yeah was thinking of using OSB boards but thought mdf might be better at keeping the sound in the cabin. Not sure why I think that, guess coz they use it to build speakers will have a Google.

EDIT: OSB it is then, looks like the glue in the boards will help dampen and also a lot cheaper :)

Last edited:
good progress today, managed to take a delviery of floor joists, insulating boards, blocks, joist hangers etc to ensure i can get the floor and roof sorted as soon as the cabin is built. Used one of the 4.8 meters joist to check out the fall of the existing slab today and luckily its only around 30mm over the distance. So i decided to build the cabin on the concrete blocks (on the side) as this is only 100mm. The roof insulation is going on the outside to reduce condensation, once the building is built it should only be about 2515mm on the front. Hopefully building control should be ok about 15mm :) its when I put the facia on cabin to hide the roof that will push it up about 200mm but if building control ever came round at least I can remove the facia :) so all good on that front.

Anyway back to progress… dug out a space today to allow the doors to open as that’s always helps and also got all the hardcore in, will dig out the steps down into the cabin once the I get the slab poured. Took a lot longer than I thought, and then I had to unload the deliveries.. Pics:

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

Nothing like insulating boards in the dining room to keep the wife happy :)

IMG_0813.jpg

Cabin is coming Monday as will have to leave it under covers till the week in-between christmas and new year as I'm off all that week and should be able to get the cabin up :)

Last edited:
Moved a ton of ballast today without a wheel barrow and knocked up all the concrete without a mixer… why does it always take a broken back to ask yourself “why didn’t I just pay someone to do it all for me” :) I guess every penny saved today can be spent on AV equipment tomorrow.. anyway.. Concrete all done and existing slab all cleared. Cabin coming tomorrow so should be humping all that round the back of garden tomorrow..

End result is looking good, already for the course of blocks next weekend and then the retaining wall.

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Good luck with the build. The hard work is about to pay off.

Can anyone recommend a good hdmi extender with IR and hdmi splitter as I want to get the Virgin box down in the cinema room. Was looking at neet, any good?

had a little bit of timber arrive today :)

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

EPDM is here as well, just booking the sparky for third week of Jan, also putting 3 cat6 cables down there as well.. boy oh boy the cost is just mounting :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom