1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The loewe spheros appreciation and advice spot

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by shuggy, Mar 9, 2005.

1. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    As a new owner of a spheros 37 I thought it would be helpful if all spheros/xelos owners pulled knowledge. My latest input is from linsight re the native TV speakers as the centre in my 7.1 set up.

"The square 9-pin socket on the rear of the signal box is the input for amplified sound. You need a cable which connects the amplified centre from your Yamaha system to this socket. You then have to enter the Audio menu on the television and select sound from "Concertos". This then tells the television to use this square socket input as the audio source. (When you wish to use the TV as normal then you select sound from "TV".)

A few words of caution. Check that the Yamaha centre amplifier is for connection to an 8ohm speaker. Also be aware that there may exist in some installations ground loops which may cause hum or buzz on this centre channel. This depends on the way everything is connected to the mains and the grounds between all the products. TV and Yamaha product will be connected together through the mains and then audio ground - sometimes, depending on the wiring of the house, ground loops are created which lead to problems. Hopefully you will not encounter these.

We have a cable which has a phono at one end and the 9-pin connector on the other. The Phono should connect to the Yamaha amplified centre out and the other end into the 9-pin socket as described above. You should order this cable from a company called SEME. Part number is 169-88316.001.
    Check that the Yamaha centre amplifier is for connection to an 8ohm speaker. Also be aware that there may exist in some installations ground loops which may cause hum or buzz on this centre channel. This depends on the way everything is connected to the mains and the grounds between all the products. TV and Yamaha product will be connected together through the mains and then audio ground - sometimes, depending on the wiring of the house, ground loops are created which lead to problems."

2. vascovaz

vascovaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shuggy

Thank you for sharing this information at the forum. Yes endeed the square socket found at the rear of the Loewe tvs - not the recent ones of the "A" series - can be used to connect a central speaker output, but we must do it with care since this same socket can be used for a 12volt trigger. This is another "hidden" feature, your Loewe tv can wake up a power amplifier with a 12 volt trigger imput.

row a ) 9-8-7
    row b ) 6-5-4
    row c ) 3-2-1

Meaning:

1 tv out L+
    2 tv in L-
    3 tv out R+
    4 tv in L+
    5 tv in R-
    6 tv in R+
    7 tv trigger
    8 gnd
    9 12v trigger

Best regards

vasco vaz

3. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I'm still waiting to receive my 37" Spheros... :thumbsup:
    Can you post some suggestions and settings advice of your Loewe?

Thank you :hiya:

4. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks vascovaz for your expert-wow-input. I have ordered the jack from seme.com £60-good god!. Do I have to do anything based on your advice?

5. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Genoa1893 Ive barely turned it on and am no expert yet, but if you search ianh64 's postings elsewhere on the forum he has come up with some settings. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

6. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    empire direct still have one spheros 37 on the shelfs for £4495

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You say on the shelves, does this mean Empire have an actual store and if so do you know if they've got any 32" Spheros.

Cheers

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I just want to point out the settings are for a 32" Xelos SL. Can't remember what input they were for. I have listed my RGB, HD DVI-video and SD progressive composite below. DVI and component were using DVE PAL. RGB were then tweaked by eye as my DVD player does not do RGB out - I must point out that I am not entirely happy with the RGB values but life is too short to spend hours tweaking to perfection. I also changed one of the settings in the service menu, but by one value. I can't remember what it was but it was to correct a red push - I wasn't overly sucessful so this will be left to the experts one day. Other settings like sharpness are for personal preference but I do run with DNC off. Settings for the Spheros may differ due to the glass front.

These should make a good starting point but are by no means definitive for your particular display as each display may differ.

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]          RGB  DVI  Comp
    Contrast   48   48    48
    Colour     36   36    35
    Brightness 30   26    22[/FONT]

-Ian

9. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    dear neilmcl.
    I think they do have store in leeds as far as I am aware. But I meant on the shelves of their warehouse. They looked it out for me and confirmed availability, but I wanted DR+ and ended up negotiating a poor lad in powerhouse to death. My finaL GAMBIT was to give only 15 of my 16 credit card numbers. At their protests I told them it would take a further £100 off for the last no. Bugger me it worked-Not very popular though!!
    shuggy

10. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    dear Ianh64
    Thanks for that. ps iT WAS FOLLOWING YOUR THREADS THAT CONVINSED ME ON THE SPHEROS ABOVE THE AMBILIGHT PHILIPS. sO YOU HAVE IMPROVED MY HOME CINEMA .BUT MY BANK MANAGER IS LIKELY TO TAKE A CONTRACT OUT ON YOU :hiya:

11. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    dear vascovaz- any insights on this problem
    I have ordered the centre speaker connector cable but my yamaha amp has standard centre speaker 2 banana plug outputs. Are you aware of any tricks to conert these standard outputs into a single phono input that is found on the end of the cable?

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I use to work for a bank in a former life. Anything to upset them pleases me greatly :devil:

-Ian

13. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry been away for a few days.
    Spheros finally setup
    Absolutely brilliant.
    Progressive scan via DVD and components- very bright but sublime when darkened. Great for flesh toned chick flicks like Bridget jones, but unbelievable with nemo, gladiator and monsters inc
    Sky via RGB excellent though football via bbc lacked a little something, the sky was far better
    Sky via component not so good
    Remote fabulous ignore the hard to get to grips with criticism- only if you are hard of thought!
    Bought the alphason 107 piano black stand- could have been made for the loewe.
    Still awaiting my orb speakers from the USA, but the in built sound is crystal.
    No gripes at all so far. Next- to play my music collection via i tunes at my party next week with the visualisations playing via the telly. I may be sad, but im happy and sad ! :D

14. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It s a very personal thing but I have found the spheros rather bright at ians settings. Perhaps it is the glass
    RGB Comp
    Contrast 48 48
    Colour 31 31
    Brightness 22 19
    interestingly the inevitable up close LCD pixellation(let me emphasise it is superb when viewed from> 3ft) has had the useful side effect of forcing my little monstwers to sit at a more respectable distance from the screen- that and they cant take it all in up close!

15. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorted my orb speakers are working great with my set up-, sony vaio drives the spheros brilliantly with full screen picture and music visualiations, yamaha amp is excellent- not one cmpatibility issue. Only problem- unable to record component input to the spheros hard drive. Overall I couldnt imagine a better set up. Any ideas on the component issue?

16. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No problem. I am no audiocrat but I am very impresed with the speakers and they are not yet fully run in. I only hav e mod 1s but they fill my 20ftx11ft listening area with a full rich sound. I have a mordaunt short 8 inch sub which is certainly inferior to the orbs, but did only cost me £100. This will certainl;y need replaced. weatched alien versus predator last night and later listened to aretha franklin and I feel the system dealt with these extremes brilliantly. No reservations especially with my yamaha amps s :smashin: ound fields

17. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    tiny problem with red green bleeding only around bbc i red logo any fixes?

18. Vinwolf

Vinwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been to see my local a/v dealer in North London. He has the Spheros in black gloss finish inc wall mount for (after several hours of haggling) £2800. Seems pretty good to me - and its with a two year manufacturers warrantee. With the new A37 Xelos out - would it be a mistake to take this on? I was considering the new Philips' and might wait - but I do like the Spheros (although how unforgiving will it be with an NTL BOX????). Since it has DVI - I presume linking via Scart-VGA with syncblaster cables will clean up the picture or should I look into an ISCAN scaler???? Jimsan and Ian your opinions are valued. Anyone know how good the concertos speakers from Loewe are. Thanks in advance!!!!

Pete

19. Masterpiece

Masterpiece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have the Masterpiece which basically is the 37" Spheros.
    That price is very good. I wouldn't hesitate at all. Go and get it.
    The picture on the Spheros is far superior to the Philips and also the Xelos. The contrast glass front really helps the PQ. It has much better blacks than the competitors.

I also have the Concertos system.
    It sounds very good.It can't be compared to a normal HIFI system, but it sounds good enough and it looks beautiful. Very graceful.

C

20. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If I was making my choice again I would go for a vanilla Spheros instead of the Xelos SL + D-TV/D-Sat and DR+ options - these two specifications would be about the same price retail. Your price is a bargain - about £2.2k less than 37" list and about £1k less than the 32" Spheros.

It may be worth checking if you are getting the latest media box - the latest one has seperate DVI, power and control leads and I think has a few enhancements over the original - memory card slots etc, but looses 3 SCARTs. So check your needs. Also, ask the retailler/installer to upgrade you to the latest firmware - it only takes a few minutes and keeps you up to date with the latest software revisions and fixes.

-Ian

21. Vinwolf

Vinwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - you know how it is.......having received no reply....I didn't buy yesterday - but BOY - I came close. Sticking point is the new Philip's due out in August - but there is ALWAYS a sticking point as regards upcoming technology right? My gut says - good price,, nice screen (Ilike the soft images, by which I guess I mean its cinematic feel) and the fact that it is a truly HD ready screen, having the correct resolution. However, the Xelos HDMI is already out!!!! If I am connecting via DVI, I take it the sound has to come from a digital output right??? Ian - thanks for feedback.....really bloody nervous about hammering the card......the tv is boxed and in the shop - how do I get him to update firmware????

Pete

22. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    On this screen, HDMI maks very little difference as the Spheros will take digital or analogue audio in that can be assigned to any input and multi channel audio doesn't apply to the display anyway. There are a few other differences between DVI and HDMI but these are so minor or even non existent with the DVI implementation on the Spheros that unless you are being budget concious the Spheros is the one to go for IMO.

It won't hurt to ask about a firmware upgrade. Apparently the installation guys just plug their PC in and flash the unit in a few minutes. I do this with my hifi and it beats chip replacements anyday. I would like to do this myself for my D-TV/D-Sat card but the lead is non standard and I am reluctant to pay a £50 callout just so i can receive ABC1.

-Ian

23. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Dear vinwolf did you ever get the spheros at that price- truly unbelievable if you did. Welldone

24. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    2 problems
    1. Slight green ghost on l side of red BBC interactive logo
    2. Still cannot record any component input to the built in hard disc
    Any insights? Any new owmers out there?
    Hugh

25. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    QUOTE=Chriswc]Hi shuggy - wonder if you can help?
    Have just had a sheros 37dr+ installed but am wondering how to get the best from the system and my set up.
    I have put sky and my x-box straight into my Panasonic SCHT 1500 and then via an RGB scart to the media box - is this the best way?
    Also how do I get it calibrated?
    Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
    Thank you.[/QUOTE]
    superb choice.
    Hi,
    I am very wary of piggy backing too many pieces of equipment but it depends what media box you have. I have the older 3 scart, 1 component, 1 DVI 1 VGA set up which is very versatile. However like you I do piggy back sky via my component outputing dvd player while making a secondary sky to AV3 scart RGB connection drectly to the media box. Why? Because though mathematically I still get the same amount of info from my sky signal by either route aesthetically the picture via component is sublime. The only con is that my DR will not record component signals so timeslip wont work. Thus, I tend to watch crap via AV3 scart eg match of the day but movies via component. I am not sure what you mean by callibration but I find the component brighter than RGB so I have cheated and left factory preferences for RGB scart but have used a dimmer personal setting for component-2 button clicks and it is sorted.
    Is this what you mean?
    Overall I have had this TV 8 months and I am still discoveriing features- some hate that organic learning curve personally it keeps me intrigued!!Let me know if I can help otherwise.
    Shuggy
    Ps dont get involved in the My electrons better than yours arguments. Im sorry to see such critiscism. Yes it is pricey but you have bought 360 degree design and it is unavoidable that high end design comes at a price. It amazes me that people can be so interested in the picture -important certainly, but disinterested in the form. so dont weep smile confidently. I personally would have a mercedes SLR over a nissan skyline even though it is slower!!

26. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Dear Ian , I have regularly followed your [postings as the recognised "LOEWE" expert, I purchased a spheros 37 in Jan - really pleased with it. However it has a dvi-hdcp interface and I am somewhat skittish over the chipset incompatibility issues. Should I always look for components with a faroujida chip set like yamaha( I love my yamaha amp) or is the chioce wider. Is there a recognised compatibilty list? Finally i am almost terrified to ask this- do you think the sky hd will have similar problems. If so then hari kari may be preferable to the fate awaited at the hands of my wife!!!!.
    Sorry to rain questions down on you
    Keep up the good work

27. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Shuggy

Hopefully I have some good news for you. A high end UK DVD player manufacturer did some extensive tests with some of their DVD players that were having problems with the Spheros/Xelos and discovered a problem with the design of the mechanical fitting of the DVI connector on the back of the Spheros/Xelos SL media box. Basically the close proximity to the other connectors in the area can cause strain on the plug/socket and cause an intermittent fault. This is particularly worse when HDMI->DVI adaptors are used as they are larger than a normal DVI plug.

I have been recommended by Loewe a HDMI->DVI cable that is quite cheap and in testing proved 100% reliable. It is made by Molex, part number 88768-3510 (2m HDMI/DVI) but other lengths are available. I obtained mine from cpc.co.uk a total cost of ~£16 inc vat+p&p.

I have not had my cable for long so have not done much testing - however sofar I have not had the problem although statistically it would probably be 50/50 whether I would have seen my issues so far.

As far as Loewe and high end DVD manufacturers are concerned, or at least are willing to admit, the chipset incompatibility seems to have been a red herring so hopefully you don't have to start looking for a suitable sword just yet.

-Ian

28. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    VinWolf,

I have a Xelos A32, and am sorry to tell you that the HDMI connector does not carry sound, you have to use the separate co-ax digital cable. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it keeps the sound and video signals completely separate. strange though because my understanding was that HDMI should carry sound.

Marc

29. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In a way im glad- sorry ! As a dvi hdcp connection owner I have always been jealous of you trendy HDMI Crowd- Only Kidding. This is a real surprise and I wonder is your cable faulty? Any ideas out there
    Shuggy

30. gilesme

gilesme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was reading my Xelos manual last night (got an A26) - I'm pretty sure it said that the HDMI cable did audio feed as well. Might be worth a quick call / email to the TV supplier or Linnsight themselves.

It talked about using separate cinch cables for audit if using component.

Has anyone hooked up a Xelos to a PS2 ? If so, what cable did you use ?

G.