The local Robin

jomike

While shooting macros in the garden recently, I've noticed a Robin (or maybe a pair) that comes quite close, but just not close enough for the reach of the Tammy 90. So yesterday evening while having a barby I set up my tripod with the Sigma 70-300 APO on the Nikon D50 on the off chance that it would come around again, and it obliged.

If you look closely you can see that it has at least two spiders in its beak, probably to feed to chicks in a nest somewhere close.

1/250s, f5.6, 300mm, ISO 400

1/250s, f5.6, 300mm, ISO 400

Mike

TarMoo

Excellent shots :thumbsup:

Holowlegs

Hello there

Cracking shots Mike, old faithful hasn't let you down there.:thumbsup:

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
If you look closely you can see that it has at least two spiders in its beak, probably to feed to chicks in a nest somewhere close.

Mike
You had to get a bug in there somewhere :D

Nice shots, there is a very camera shy robin that occasionally comes into my back yard, but never when I have my camera to hand :(

julian_fraser

Novice Member
Great captures. I'm picking my 70-300mm APO up on Thursday (couldn't afford the Nikon VR :thumbsdow) and am really looking forward to attempting some bird shots like these.

This was an attempt from down the local woods yesterday with the 55-200mm and have had to crop it to get a "close-up"...am hoping the 300mm will get rid of that problem.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
an attempt from down the local woods yesterday with the 55-200mm and have had to crop it to get a "close-up"...am hoping the 300mm will get rid of that problem.
The 300mm will help a bit, but you will still need to crop. One reason why I parted with my 70-300 when I got my 18-200VR was that there was not much difference between the two with regard to subject size at the long end. The extra 100mm does not get you "50% closer".

julian_fraser

Novice Member
The 300mm will help a bit, but you will still need to crop. One reason why I parted with my 70-300 when I got my 18-200VR was that there was not much difference between the two with regard to subject size at the long end. The extra 100mm does not get you "50% closer".
Stop it - I'm committed to the purchase :D

I still see it as an upgrade from my current Sigma 55-200mm HSM, if only for the macro capability and APO glass.

werewolf40

Novice Member
Very nice sharp shots.:) I have a pair of robins that come to my garden every day :) I just missed a shot of one feeding the other.:(

Fudgie

Great Shot's!

Can I ask how you get the image into your thread like that.

Thanks

jomike

Thanks for the comments all :smashin:

Yes, the Sigma 70-300 APO is a great value for money lens. Its build quality is not the greatest and it is slow to focus, but it can and does give sharp results at 300mm wide open as these were.

A cautionary note to Julian and other Nikon D40/x/60 owners, make sure that you get the version with the built in focus motor, else it will not autofocus on your camera. Get the APO version as well, it is worth the extra money.

Fudgie - look here on how to embed pics from flickr. (You need to set up a flickr account first)

Mike

jonandjen

Novice Member
Excellent shots. No.1 is my fave. Well done.

lightpainter

Novice Member
Smashing captures, lovely and sharp even at your largest size on Flickr, have you applied any sharpening PP?