The Living Daylights

Setenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on why I cannot obtain this on DVD either R2 or R1?

It seems to be absent from the shelves during the current buy one Bond film, get another free bonanza.

Anyone got a 2nd hand copy they want to sell?

There was another thread about this a while back (I'll go search later) whereby it wasn't included in the BOGOF deals because of some ownership issue.

Not sure what the current situation on it, but it's the only on I haven't got yet.

I've made a few enquiries myself, and I was told there was audition footage of Sam Neil, and it is this material that is in legal dispute.

Anyone verify this.

The region 2 project have a statement from MGM saying there is a legal dispute but no real details apart from that. Sam Neil as bond pootage now that would be interesting to see.

We've got a very short statement from MGM concerning "The Living Daylights" on DVD. Sadly it's not very illuminating but given the nature of the problem( Legal) then maybe they are obliged to keep quiet !

MGM Home Entertainment has announced that due to an unanticipated legal reason the Bond film, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, will not be available as part of its 2002 BUY BOND GET BOND FREE promotion on Special Edition DVD and VHS until further notice.

MGM's DVD Box Set is unaffected and contains all 19 Bond films.

The BUY BOND GET BOND FREE promotion on Special Edition DVD launches on 4 November 2002. Purchasers can buy one Bond Special Edition DVD for £19.99 (RRP) and receive another Bond DVD of their choice for free. The offer also applies to the VHS collection at £9.99 (RRP).

So reading that statement it looks like the only way to get the disk is to buy the box set.

Yes but the UK boxset contains at least 2 Bond movies that are cut.

Managed to purchase a R1 copy of TLD from Amazon. Got a new copy at $44, which is about 30 quid. Yes I know thats well over the odds but I don't like being inconvenienced by litigious antipodean thespians.

It's due for re-release in R1 as part of the phased Bond releases that are occuring now (first of three boxsets has been released). It's listed as coming soon on the MGM US website, so I will hold on for that release as I don't fancy paying over the odds for this movie...

Originally posted by Garrett
They are suppose to have it here for http://www.splashdvd.com/splash/search.cfm?item_id=15847DVD&act=detail&affiliate_id=pricerunner £8.49 with delivery also at Amazon for £7.99 without delivery (free delivery if you spend £35 in total).
I have the disc so I will check on the Sam Neal question.
:blush: Looked up the wrong film.

There is a screen test for Sam Neil on The Living Daylights DVD (documentry).

Thank goodness I got my copy it is my favourite Bond film and my most played DVD.

Play have the special edition listed.

The play website lists availability as TBA, which is the issue here. As I said, it will be re-released shortly in R1 as part of the push of Bond titles again.

I popped in the town today and I went in all but one of the DVD retails for Bond DVD’s and not one had it in.:eek:
I hope you can't ware them out or I will have to buy a box set to get it again. :(

I will have to buy a box set to get it again

Like I said, just wait a few months for the official re-release of The Living Daylights and you will be able to buy it singly without a problem.

The thing is CarlB, that until this legal wrangle is sorted out there will not be a quick re-release.

For example, if sam Neil's lawyers insist in removal of the audition footage, the documentary on the DVD will have to be either edited or removed in it's entirety.

Either way, that means serious delays to re-issuing process.

In the mean time, the only way to get a copy will be car boot sales, E-Bay, or through resellers on Amazon.

The re-release is already scheduled in R1 as part of the third boxset release, and also for single sale at the same time. I think this is scheduled for Spring 2003 to coincide with the release of Die Another Day in region 1.

The issue with rights is only in region 2, region 1 is not affected. However, the disc is currently not available in R1 as the Bond discs were put on moratorium for another push when DAD was released at the cinema. This is what is happening now, though the films are released in 3 boxsets in the US with a mix of films in each. When the boxset is released the films are also available individually, as has happened with the contents of the first R1 boxset now.

So yes, it is a while as it won't be re-released until May (which I think is when DAD is released on DVD) but I would rather wait than pay the prices on Amazon at the moment. It's not as if the disc is going to increase in value, as it will only be worth RRP when the re-release occurs next year.

Originally posted by CarlB

It's not as if the disc is going to increase in value, as it will only be worth RRP when the re-release occurs next year.
Not even if the Sam Neil exert is removed, I would have though that would have made it a collectors item.

CarlB said "it's not as if it's going to increase in value".......

On E-Bay this week a guy put up a dvd of The Living Daylight and put an asking price of £75 plus P/P..... he got the full price!!!!

Other people have reported selling their copies for £50 on E-Bay!!!

So some people do have more money than sense

bloody hell.....better sell my copy for £75 then!!

just checked ebay, and they're going for £40+ loads of them!!

Got my copy sent through today.

A new copy that has obviously sat on the shelves for two years as the front cover is so faded.

Where there were stickers on the shrink wrap, you have patches on the sleeve that still retain the original colour.

Still, a faded cover I can live with. If you want a copy rather than go for bidding on E-bay, try Amazon.com market place were 3rd party dealers sell new and 2nd hand items.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom