The Lives Of Others Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Sep 9, 2007.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Brian Day
      Easy one this. The Lives Of Others is an absolutely stunning piece of cinema. As a film, it will hold out to multiple viewing simply so you can sit back and admire the actors plying their trade.
      As a Blu-ray disc, it’s a huge leap forward to what we have been offered recently. The picture and sound quality are exemplary and I found it really hard to fault them. I was hooked from the first minute to 138th and not once did I tire. It’s a very dialogue heavy film and has no English soundtrack. The dialogue moves along at a cracking pace and, because of this, you might miss something and be compelled to rewind to read it again.
      Backed up by some superb extras that only add to the whole experience, I really can not recommend this disc highly enough. Though for those of you that are not fans of world cinema, there is a planned remake coming out of Hollywood with one of two reputable directors and you might want to wait for that version…personally, I wouldn’t.
      Read the full review...

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,393
      Agree wholeheartedly with your review, stunning movie :) I thought the picture was great - some softness in some of the outdoor, night-time scenes - but otherwise very solid. But 8 for sound? You're right, there's nothing here to work the system, it's not even close to 8 imho.

One thing I did like thought is that there was a real airiness to the PCM soundtrack, lovely in an understated way. Still not an 8 though ;)

3. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      Thanks for your comments - it really is a great movie as you say.
      As for the sound - you are right in saying that the soundtrack is understated. There's no explosions, gun fire or car chases to liven it up. But is that a reason to mark it down?
      I can only mark what's put in front of me, and just because a soundtrack is not full of bangs and crashes, I won't mark it down. What the track does here, it does very well. The speech was clear and concise and locked to the centre channel. What surround effects there are are believable. Ambience in the corridor in the very first scene for example...If the director and sound editor can , with the help of their imigination, 5 speakers and a subwoofer, convince we I'm there with the actors, then it's going to get a high mark.
      There have been some very bad "dynamic" mixes in the past - Forrest Gump on LD springs to mind. Totally uncinvincing - but it was full of bangs, cracks and crashes.

Hope you see my point..

Brian

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,393
      I do see your point, it's a difficult one! It's a nicely balanced, convincing soundtrack, yet I wouldn't put it close to reference quality. But then as you say, just because a movie has big explosions doesn't necessarily warrant a high mark (Underworld for example on DVD, what a god-awful DD soundtrack :rolleyes: )

5. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      Exactly - and the film you use as an example is on my to review list for this month...be interesting one that...:D