The Little Things Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I’m tempted, but I’d rather spend on Justice League next week and wait for this one to go down in price.

I agree, £15.99 for a 4K DV/DA purchase is one thing, but considering this has been out on HBO Max in the US for "free" for a few weeks, the premium rental thing is excessive.

gadget man

Spot on review cass a 7 from me also. I would have given an 8 if was not for Rami Malek what a bad performance he was not the right person for that character. Was good has mercury but my opinion he does not have a future in acting.

Slinkywizard

I agree, £15.99 for a 4K DV/DA purchase is one thing, but considering this has been out on HBO Max in the US for "free" for a few weeks, the premium rental thing is excessive.
I figured out the other day what my issue is with Premium Rental as a concept. It's taken me a while, but it's this:

People will argue that if this were shown in the cinema and you went along with your spouse or entire family to see it it would cost you more. The difference, though, is that when you get to the cinema, as well as the premium new movies being shown, there aren't 1,000 other rooms showing alternative films for free. In that environment how many would still opt to pay the money?

At home that is the environment. After all, we are only ever really looking for something to entertain us for a couple of hours when we sit down to do so. Some older, but well-regarded flick from 2016 we can watch for free on Netflix will provide us the same amount of entertainment. So the argument about 'you'd pay that much in the cinema' just doesn't work or apply.

Then layer onto that mess that most of these premium rental films are reviewing average or worse, and where does that leave it? You can literally watch better entertainment for nothing.

Sorry if that's a bit off-topic.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd maybe pay to see some blockbuster or niche film I was dying to see but most of it, nope I'll wait until a free release.

Reviews for this are all over the place. I love Denzel but I'll wait.

moraghan

Spot on review cass a 7 from me also. I would have given an 8 if was not for Rami Malek what a bad performance he was not the right person for that character. Was good has mercury but my opinion he does not have a future in acting.

LOL ... come on Gadget Man ... tell us what you really think.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Don't worry, I'm sure we won't see him anytime soon in anything, until the little known movie Bond 25 hits cinemas!😁 He was excellent in Mr Robot which is well worth checking out.

MikeTVMikeTV

I thought this was terrible, Jared leto is criminally underused yet again.

The story is so run of the mill yawn it's probably the most predictable film I've ever seen.

4/10

PlexShaw

Amazon had a bit of a balls up yesterday morning and put this, Judas and the Black Messiah and Locked Down out as £5.99 rentals each (HD rather than UHD). I got in before they fixed the error on them (saving myself £30 in the process), so I'll watch it over the weekend.

encaser

Jared Leto is definitely the best thing in this and helps raise the basic story. Washington has, however, rested more so on his unfortunately denaturing laurels and keeps taking ultimately unfulfilling roles in poorly executed films. The less said here about Malek, the better.
If only they'd thought up an ending that didn't neutralise everything in its wake.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Washington does no wrong, and Leto and Malek aren't to be sniffed at either.

I'm disappointed though, I did expect "big things" from this (pardon that pun :) )

I remember saying to Rai in it's other thread too, that even just from the 2 minute trailer Malek looked woefully miscast.

Will check this out when it pops up as per usual on one of the platforms.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Jared Leto is definitely the best thing in this and helps raise the basic story. Washington has, however, rested more so on his unfortunately denaturing laurels and keeps taking ultimately unfulfilling roles in poorly executed films. The less said here about Malek, the better.
If only they'd thought up an ending that didn't neutralise everything in its wake.

Agreed about the ending. I guess it's a tough ask, but the multiple
twists
were excessive and did leave me conflicted.

On the one hand, I agree about the neutralising effect, on the other, I did appreciate it made me digest everything that had happened over a longer period than I expected from this movie, and I always appreciate a movie that lingers, even a flawed one.

gadget man

Don't worry, I'm sure we won't see him anytime soon in anything, until the little known movie Bond 25 hits cinemas!😁 He was excellent in Mr Robot which is well worth checking out.

Mr robot just found him a one note performance only finished season 1 then called it a day.

my prediction is will not be good in bond, wrong person again you will see.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Have to say, I kinda have my concerns about Malek too.

Thought he was perfect in Mr Robot, but everything else I've seen from him has been incremental variations on a character that only really worked in MR. Whether it was the Hoffman role in the unnecessary remake of Papillon or the Pitt role in this kinda-unnecessary kinda-remake of Seven, he's basically just Mr Robot playing a detective or playing an imprisoned forger.

Now key to all of this is I've yet to see him in Rhapsody, which I'm sure is a phenomenal performance, but casting him in these other roles does appear to be the wrong way to go about employing his talents (which, by all accounts, are very evident in BR).

Unlike, say, Washington (or even Pitt for that matter) it feels like he might be better suited to embracing a very rich and involving character role who he can absolutely bury himself in, as opposed to more generic roles which veteran, versatile and - possibly - better actors somehow manage to make their own, irrespective of how one-note they're painted on paper.

gadget man

i agree with the above cas and he was good in Rhapsody i admit. The problem is like you say does not have the range in acting to go beyond the performance in mr robot. It's the look and is mannerisms just find boring and one note. i may be proved wrong with bond but is very unlikely and so convinced he will let the movie down.

MikeTVMikeTV

Rami Malek was really good in the pacific though.

I think maybe he has just peaked early, totally miscast in this though.

It would've been better and more believable if maybe malek was the mentoring cop, maybe he was sidelined for burnout as he is so obsessive about cases or something and they could've just used a young black rookie cop like kamil McFadden who picks up the cases or something like that.

This really didn't work at all for me, apart from Jared Leto.

It's a far cry from Seven, it's more like Alex Cross, and not the Morgan Freeman movies.

Last edited:

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
All the the reviews i have seen that mention this compared to Seven !! I don't get that at all , I thought this was poor..
For me its a film about police corruption and looking after their own , the serial killer is a side note and not even resolved..

encaser

Agreed about the ending. I guess it's a tough ask, but the multiple
twists
were excessive and did leave me conflicted.

On the one hand, I agree about the neutralising effect, on the other, I did appreciate it made me digest everything that had happened over a longer period than I expected from this movie, and I always appreciate a movie that lingers, even a flawed one.
Personality trait possibly showing there.
Do yourself a favour and watch some relative unknowns in a much better thriller, namely, Victoria

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Personality trait possibly showing there.
Do yourself a favour and watch some relative unknowns in a much better thriller, namely, Victoria

Hah, we come full circle. Wasn't it my Bushwick review that led to her in the first place lol?!

But yes, I ought to watch that again.

encaser

I am going to tell you five objects to recall later..!
Yeah, I just thought you could slip in a review of Only the Animals, The Wife, The Golden Glove,
Victoria...for a break from the norm for your mental wellbeing in these trying times.

steve sph

Mark Kermode gave this the mother of all pastings on the Film Revue this morning - he seldom holds back when a turkey lands, but this was merciless.
Leto in particular isn't spared for what he saw as an absolute car crash of a performance.
So I'm quite perplexed to see the love for it on here - I get that it's all about opinions but someone's critical faculties must be seriously off kilter to account for the divergence.
I'm actually tempted to watch it now just to see who's wrong.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Kermode is getting more kranky these days :laugh: Normally I do find myself agreeing with much of what he says, but sometimes I wonder if he is indeed in a foul mood when he watches something.

When the time comes, I think going into this with low expectations will be a good thing.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Yup definitely a wait until it comes to one of my subscription platforms type film judging by reviews.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021