The Little Cinema of Burnley

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
As I'd stuffed the riser with Rockwool, it might as well double up as broadband bass trap, of sorts. To be really effective it will need holes, lots of them. Obviously that would weaken the structure, so will have to make do with some rear and front facing vents.

First I cut out the board

Rear Vent 1.jpg

Then used a bit of weed membrane to prevent Rockwool particles from blowing back in to the room

Rear Vent 2.jpg

Fitted a vent grill

Rear Vent 3.jpg

Then repeated four more times

Rear Vent 4.jpg

A big thanks to @bardel for the idea!

Harkon321

You got a good link to explain how that works in practice mate? I've seen it discussed on AVS Forum but never really understood the physics of how it'll work. Nice work by the way, really coming together.

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
You got a good link to explain how that works in practice mate? I've seen it discussed on AVS Forum but never really understood the physics of how it'll work. Nice work by the way, really coming together.
I've seen a lot of DIY information but nothing professionally. I first came across it in @bardel's basement cinema thread, so he may have more information.

This link does provide some REW 'with and without' graphs, which do appear to indicate that vents have a positive impact - Home Theatre:Riser/other Broadband bass traps - MusicPlayer Forums

AL0012

Standard Member
Great work Adam
Just spent an hour going through your thread. :thumbsup:
Taken some notes as Ive just started my own room.
The seats look perfect:smashin:
Once its all complete make a you tube video of the completed room, will be good viewing.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Looks good mate, where are the seats from?

derekhansen

Looking Good Adam. I have been following your thread from the start. Nice to see it all coming together.:smashin:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thanks, still a bit to do but not far now.

Seats were from a company that sells on ebay and Amazon. Stupidly cheap but I didn't want to spend thousands just for the kids to wreck them! The seats are called Oscar - fitting for a cinema room!

They look good.

I’ve made a fair few changes to my room over the past few months, about to install an additional 2 Atmos speakers to go 7.2.6, new AT 105” wide screen and also a buttkicker.....I keep saying I’m finished, but still end up buying more stuff :facepalm:

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
They look good.

I’ve made a fair few changes to my room over the past few months, about to install an additional 2 Atmos speakers to go 7.2.6, new AT 105” wide screen and also a buttkicker.....I keep saying I’m finished, but still end up buying more stuff :facepalm:
Yes I've noticed :laugh:

Hopefully I can avoid the urge to change / upgrade, but I'm already thinking about 4K :facepalm: I'll stick with the Sony for a while though, but will keep an eye on the classifieds!

I certainly won't be changing the electronics though, the match between the Anthem MRX and the Emotiva PAs is spot on IMO.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Yes I've noticed :laugh:

Hopefully I can avoid the urge to change / upgrade, but I'm already thinking about 4K :facepalm: I'll stick with the Sony for a while though, but will keep an eye on the classifieds!

I certainly won't be changing the electronics though, the match between the Anthem MRX and the Emotiva PAs is spot on IMO.

Yeah I know you love that combo. Got to be honest, I’m really loving The Marantz, perfect for my needs, interested to see what .6 Atmos will give me as well, just waiting for my new emotiva 2 channel to arrive.....

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Yeah I know you love that combo. Got to be honest, I’m really loving The Marantz, perfect for my needs, interested to see what .6 Atmos will give me as well, just waiting for my new emotiva 2 channel to arrive.....
The 8805 looks a good bit of kit, just a shame about Audyssey, which has a nasty habit of sucking the life out of a good system.

Anyway the main thing is that you are happy, and hopefully will be for a while as you need to stop swapping out processors and sort the screen out :laugh:

derekhansen

Cheers, and you must have the patience of a saint :laugh:

Seriously though thank you for your help along the way, I wouldn't have got this far without contributions from you and many others :smashin:

No problem. You have been very considered and thorough in your planning and execution and that is always a pleasure to see.

The urge to upgrade is a tough one to resist. You start off thinking that you will be happy with your set-up for at least a couple of years, but it dosnt take long for that 'itch' to start.:suicide:

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Apologies for the lack of updates, but I have been busy watching movies in the room :clap:

I've tried to take pictures on the phone, but I can't get anything decent, so will need to borrow a proper camera from a friend. Suffice to say that we are really happy with the result, albeit there is still a few things to finish.

The glare off the walls is predictably present, so need to fit the black velvet.

The rack is too wide and is choking the subs, so am on the look out for something more suitable.

Despite not fitting any acoustic panels, it does sound very good (thanks to ARC), but once the rack has been replaced, I will be able to get the system tuned properly and will decide on whether any treatment is required (and if so, where).

Oh, and for anybody wondering, the sound proofing has definitely worked! I'll get some SPL readings recorded and will post them up.

John Woodcock

I look forward to my r.s.v.p. i want to hear the anthem and the atmos as i have never heard atmos in a home cinema yet ! Love the seating.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
looks great and excellent use of space

Flyboy583

Any update on your build now 😁 Just read through your build as planning my second build and got tons of great ideas tonight from your thread! 😁👍

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
Any update on your build now 😁 Just read through your build as planning my second build and got tons of great ideas tonight from your thread! 😁👍
Glad it's been of some help!

It was bound to happen really, but once the room was 95% complete I lost the motivation to finish the remaining bits. All cosmetic and don't detract from watching films.

However, I've just picked up an Epson EH-TW9300 projector from the classifieds and feel like I should commit a bit more time to finishing the room, so watch this space!

nrees87

It was bound to happen really, but once the room was 95% complete I lost the motivation to finish the remaining bits. All cosmetic and don't detract from watching films.

I can totally relate to this - I've still got cutting in and faceplates I never bothered to fit - it's amazing how quickly "everything has to be perfect" becomes "meh, you'll never see it behind the sofa anyway" 😂

Nate

Flyboy583

Glad it's been of some help!

However, I've just picked up an Epson EH-TW9300 projector from the classifieds and feel like I should commit a bit more time to finishing the room, so watch this space!
The amount of detail that went into your build has really helped and I’m sure it has a lot of people that you don’t know about.. brilliant thread!

looking forward to future updates ☺️

now that I have the basis about soundproofing I’m on to my equipment list and planning the basic layout of my room. hope it’s ok if I pop back periodically for your opinion.

adam-burnley

Distinguished Member
I can totally relate to this - I've still got cutting in and faceplates I never bothered to fit - it's amazing how quickly "everything has to be perfect" becomes "meh, you'll never see it behind the sofa anyway" 😂

Nate
Very true. I look at all the stuff that needs finishing when I enter the room, but once the lights are off and the film is on I forget about it all again.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp