"The Lion King" Special Edition

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I noticed "The Lion King" DVD has two versions of the film on the disk, The Special Edition and the normal theatrical version. What's the difference between the two versions?

Thanks.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The extended edition has an added song ( which isn't so great but you never really notice it if you have never watched the film before ) i would also add the extended edition has the enhanced theatrical sound mix which sounds great, the normal original cinema version does not and sounds flat by comparison, you should note that the so called normal version is not actually the original cinema version as many scenes have had added cleaned up and enhanced animation which you will also see on the extended addition, i believe this site has a review you will be able to check.

http://www.totaldvd.net/cgi-bin/dvdreviews.php?reviewid=10231

3. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there really such a big difference in sound between the two versions on the new special edition? I thought both were DTS mixes and that the only difference would be the extra song.

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only the extended edition with the extra song has the DTS mix ( in the UK ) the theatrical version has Dolby Digital 5.1 only. Yep huge difference, the enhanced DTS mix sounds like a modern day blockbuster where the Dolby 5.1 mix on the original version sounds very plain.

5. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay then I've checked my Lion King special edition region 2 DVD and both the special edition and the original version both contain DTS - Disney's enhanced home theatre mix (DHET). Having only watched the special edition version previously, I just started the original version which is definitely a DTS mix!

The only thing I can think of is that my version is not a UK version but a European region 2 which I picked up from CD wow three or four months ago. THE case and all writing on it is in English.