Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

The Lion King - Huge disappointment

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Arthur.S, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my region 2, 2 disc set yesterday. I haven't been so disappointed in a sound track for a very long time. Tried DD & DTS. (there are actually 2 DTS tracks) Both completely lack the impact of the old pro-logic version on VHS! Mines going straight back. :(

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is unfortunate (and surprizing) to hear, I was just about to rush out and buy it.

Anybody else gotten hold of the disc yet and - if so - have you experienced similar problems?

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    hmm sounds weird, have you tried the enhanced home theatre mix? Supposed to be amazing...

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt - are you or phil reviewing this disc (have you already?)?

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,973
    It will be coming in the next week or so, not a priority review as we have already done the R1. I find it hard to believe there is a problem with the soundtracks. the original does sound like a prologi mix, the DEHT mix is amazing on the R1 and a real difference to the original mix.

6. Herbal

Herbal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree the R1 is amazing, the first 5 mins had my hair neck standing up.

Totally Amazing, maybe you ahould have bought the R1

10/10 for sound IMO

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EHTM is the best of the bunch, but still disappointing. This is reminding me a little of the Jurassic Park hash. Be interesting to hear from other R2 owners.

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking on DVDcompare, it seems the EHTM is DTS (half rate) on the R2, but DD on the R1. Wonder if this is the problem?

9. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    How are there 2 DTS tracks on this disc ?

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're listed as: 'Special edition' DTS DEHTM, & 'Original Theatrical' DTS DEHTM. The Original theatrical version sounds better than the SE version. Can't believe that Disney of all people were too tightassed to use Rowan Atkinson for the intro either!

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Nothing wrong with the DTS sound track, it sounded very good to me.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I have the R1 version and to be honest I didnt think the enhanced or the normal mix were particularly amazing - I wouldnt call it dissapointing but wouldnt call it impressive either. Other Disney films have sounded better. :rolleyes:

13. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyways, problem sol-ved. Not ideal, but if I push the DTS LFE setting in my amp up as far as it goes (+10dbs) all sounds right. With the amp set up like this though, it's the SE version that sounds better. The OT version loses a lot of detail with the extra bass. Problem is...if I leave the amp like this, there's a serious risk of damaging my projector when I play a 'normal' DTS disc such as Saving private Ryan. Not to mention structural damage to my house!:eek:

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i got this on saturday and i have to say its become my number one demo disc - the opening chapter is astonishing!!! i cant speak for the R1 version but the DTS on the R2 is incredable. the only thing i can suggest is that setups may be wrong - i sat for 90 mins or so with the biggest of grins on my face. there are so many high points to the soundtrack. i have to give it 10 out of 10.

in short - amazing!

Oh and i think the two DTS tracks are the two tracks for the two different versions of the film - but i doubt its two complete tracks - its just that one is branching into the new song.

Gary

15. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was probably "all overcome with emulsion" when I posted originally. There's nothing wrong with the detail, it's exceptional. but the 'slam' & 'feel' from the original VHS was missing. With 2 subs, that definitely shouldn't be a problem. This isn't a problem with any other DTS disc I have such as SPR, Apollo 13, Jurassic Park. But then, they're full bitrate. I can remember experimenting with the DTS LFE setting on Jurassic Park. At about +7, The bass felt life threatening. :devil: As a definite pointer towards the disc though. The VHS played on same system, with subs set normal, still has oomph! Having said that, I won't be taking it back now! :clap:

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I'll swap your R2 for my R1 if your upset about it !!

17. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer rags, but my amp only has this setting for LFE in DTS mode, not DD. Wouldn't wanna take a chance on it. ;)
    These things can be pretty strange. I have the original DTS version of JP, which was roundly slated for lack of bass when it was issued. One 'wag' described the T-Rex attack as "sounding more like an angry sparrow"!! I think DTS re-mastered it.
    And yet mine sounds fabulous! Go figure, as our cousins across the pond say. :D