The Lion King (2019) 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched this just last night too. The presentation is sublime in 4K HDR, looks stunning on the Panasonic FZ802B OLED.

I agree with the review though, other than the 4K eye-candy, something feels a little off with the film, and I think it ultimately boils down to a lack of chemistry between the actors - as Cas pointed out with the adult Simba and Nala pairing.

Mufasa, Rafiki and Scar I thought were decent. The young cubs of Simba and Nala worked really well, too. Seth Rogen nailed Pumba effortlessly - easily the standout amongst the new cast imo. For some reason I just didn't like Timon, though back when I watched the cartoon as a kid I remember Timon being one of my favourite characters.

I was preparing myself for the cringe of the singing scenes, but rather relieved they went very light in this regard. The song about 'the love tonight' seemed really disjointed just due to the fact it was done in a day scene, rather than night.

It's another reference showpiece for 4K HDR though, looking absolutely superb on OLED. It actually makes me want to check out the original again, which I don't think I have seen since the VHS days.

It's another reference showpiece for 4K HDR though, looking absolutely superb on OLED. It actually makes me want to check out the original again, which I don't think I have seen since the VHS days.
The original looks stunning on UHD too, I purchased after watching on NowTV and the difference in colour (never mind resolution) was night and day, WCG really looks beautiful.

Thanks for the review cas. It’s on the list, can’t wait to see what this looks like on my B7!

Thanks for the Review, Cas. My wife is a big fan of the original, & saw this at the Cinema; her feelings were somewhat similar to yours - looked amazing, but just wasn't engaged by it, unlike the original. I intend to rent it at some stage, just to experience the "look". My wife commented, as have others elsewhere, that the animals' faces are depicted so realistically that it is difficult to accept the emotions in their speech, or their singing, without all the "human" expressions that are in the original. Still I'm looking forward to it, but I think it will be a "solo" viewing :)

Thanks again Cas for a great review.

I will be purchasing (see if it drops over BF first) for the PQ alone, I have yet to see it but from what you and others have said I am going in with low expectations (in the hope I'll actually enjoy it).

I was looking to see what Disney remakes are coming in 2020, unfortunately Mulan looks like its a Netflix movie (as in very average).

Enjoyed the film (guilty of never watching the original fully though :blush:)

Absolutely outstanding picture, as good as anything I have watched on the 4k format.

Don't know if it was just me, but on occasions I thought it almost looked as if the frame rate dropped early in the movie. Never noticed it after the first few minutes. (I had been playing some games right before at 60fps though so maybe it was my eyes adjusting).

Got this on 3D seeing as amazon mis-priced at £11.99. Will be viewing it on my C6 at xmas as it's a present for my son.

Got this on 3D seeing as amazon mis-priced at £11.99. Will be viewing it on my C6 at xmas as it's a present for my son.
Well Done! :thumbsup:

Watched last night. As mentioned above, PQ was/is superb (on my B9 OLED).
Wife said it lost a little charm over the original, but she's remembering watching it with the kids who were very young at the time and were enthralled by it.

Well I've not watched this live action version at all, but I picked up the 4k release yesterday to put away for Christmas.

Thanks for the review cas
Watched this as soon as I could last night.
Wow the picture is amazing.
The sound was not half bad either
Breaking in a new AV receiver so plenty to play around with, some great surround effects
From watching it at the Cinema it does look like the lip sync is out when the animals talk except Pumba. Gotta love Pumba
Great film

Spoilers

No amount of eye candy could make me want to watch this remake again. It was both pointless and soulless...

Plus...it has Seth Rogen chuckling...which is one of the most annoying sounds on the planet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom