The lights won't go out.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The latest sound bite from Boris and Kwarteng in reaction to the Gas crisis.
"The lights won't go out"
We're lucky enough to have the new fangled electric lights in our house.

Still, if the worst comes to the worst, Boris has the answer . . .
He'll have a COBRA meeting
That always solves the problem.

I wasn't worried in the slightest that the lights might go out until I heard them say this. Now I'm not so sure.

When anyone in this pantomime says it'll be okay, it's normally time to think about heading to the bunkers.

The latest sound bite from Boris and Kwarteng in reaction to the Gas crisis.
"The lights won't go out"
We're lucky enough to have the new fangled electric lights in our house.

Still, if the worst comes to the worst, Boris has the answer . . .
He'll have a COBRA meeting
That always solves the problem.
... but fail to attend it himself. :smashin:

When anyone in this pantomime says it'll be okay, it's normally time to think about heading to the bunkers.
Firewood is this year's Toilet Roll.

I'll be picking up a few bags JIC.

Last edited:
Firewood is this years Toilet Roll.

I'll be picking up a few bags JIC.
And AA batteries for the torches (and the remotes for when there is some electricity).

What has this country become under the Tories?

What has this country become under the Tories?

The have's and have nots. The Tories will have access to food/heating, and the rest of us will not have any access to food/heating.

It's tempting to fate when you say "The lights won't go out". Johnson's Brexit Hubris looks like it's about to meet it's Nemesis...

I suppose we could remove the gas fire, open the chimney and make some birds homeless. The loss of the cherry tree for firewood would also be a blow to the wildlife. o_O

I suppose we could remove the gas fire, open the chimney and make some birds homeless. The loss of the cherry tree for firewood would also be a blow to the wildlife. o_O
I only have a gas flue, looks like I will need a builder to build me a chimney.

Oh, hang on, even if I can get a builder there's a shortage of building materials and wheelbarrows.

I only have a gas flue, looks like I will need a builder to build me a chimney.

Oh, hang on, even if I can get a builder there's a shortage of building materials and wheelbarrows.
I'm due to complete on a new house in the next few weeks with two wood burners in the living room and the conservatory so the gas bill should go down this winter!

... but fail to attend it himself. :smashin:

The only Cobra meeting he'll attend is at tax payers expense at the local Indian which will involve poppadums and curries and a substance that is full of gas and too much of which gives a splitting headache..... and some Cobra beer....

It will be interesting to compare the help given to consumers by other European countries. I think Italy has already set aside £4.5 Billion ? In the UK we’ve made a start by taking away £20 a week from some of the poorest in society.

Media driven headlines that the uneducated lap up.... There was never chance of any issues but didnt stop the clickbaiters..

Deleted. It will just start kicking off......

Here's hoping for a mild winter.

EDIT: I say that, though a mild winter would be indicative of a far bigger problem.

I dread to say this but the way things are going it looks like we might not only a tough winter ahead I also think a tough Christmas aswell?

Maybe someone should point out that gas lighting died out in the early 20th century

Maybe someone should point out that gas lighting died out in the early 20th century
Ahem:

There are currently 32 active gas fired combined cycle power plants operating in the United Kingdom, which have a total generating capacity of 28.0GW.

In 2016 gas fired power stations generated a total of 127 TWh of electricity. Generation has dropped to 119 TWh in 2017, 115 TWh in 2018, 114 TWh in 2019 and 95 TWh in 2020.

Obviously, if renewables + nuclear can fulfil the demand, gas-fired power stations are dropped offline, but if wind and/or solar fails (as it has done recently), then these gas-fired stations are brought back on-stream.

Last edited:
Media driven headlines that the uneducated lap up.... There was never chance of any issues but didnt stop the clickbaiters..
There are already issues. Largescale energy consumers are already winding back production - the Steel industry for example. The lights may not physically go out but we will be paying alot more for them going forward!

Don't be silly, the Tories have been gaslighting us (seemingly successfully) for several years now.

How timely.

When I was hanging on to get through to someone at the DWP this morning, I happened to be looking for something in the cupboard under the stairs and while I was there, I checked and made sure I have candles and matches, and that all the torches have functioning batteries. Now that Johnson has told us all that there won't be power cuts, I feel vindicated.

If he's saying they won't happen, I'd say power outages are quite likely.

There’s a number of steps National Grid have to take before we get anywhere near domestic consumers being cut off. We’ve never had a network emergency in this country yet and outside of a really bad cold snap over a long period it won’t happen.

There’s a number of steps National Grid have to take before we get anywhere near domestic consumers being cut off. We’ve never had a network emergency in this country yet and outside of a really bad cold snap over a long period it won’t happen.
Joys of being young. In 1972 we had just that, with the government declaring a state of emergency, petrol was rationed, the use of electricity for floodlight, heating shops, offices and restaurants was banned.

Im sure Edward Heath said 'We won't let the lights go out'

Nothing like a nice blackout to stir up that Blitz Spirit. We can light candles, listen to Vera Lynn, eat spam and hide under the tables. Brexiter heaven!

Joys of being young. In 1972 we had just that, with the government declaring a state of emergency, petrol was rationed, the use of electricity for floodlight, heating shops, offices and restaurants was banned.

Im sure Edward Heath said 'We won't let the lights go out'
Due to Miners strike wasn’t it? Very different circumstances 49 years later thankfully.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom