The Liberator (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Insulting towards others (mild)
Unlike the above comment I've seen the series. The animation gimmick adds nothing and substantially detracts from what was an important story to tell.

Last edited:
Unlike the above comment I've seen the series. The animation gimmick adds nothing and substantially detracts from what was an important story to tell.
Does the reviewer get a kickback from Netflix ?
Seems very harsh and unnecessary, AV Forums have prided themselves on their independence, one mans meat etc.

No more than you get paid by Amazon to troll Netflix reviews.

I do actually. I got 600 Netflixes for reviewing this one.
Good job too or I might have said something in the review like
Little missteps in the animation process betray a misunderstanding of the way in which Sparks’ story is meant to connect with us.

OH NO! NOW I HAVE TO PAY BACK ALL MY NETFLIXES!

Wait, what? Where are my back dues in Netflixes? All this years and the stuff I've had to watch, I should own Netflix by now.

I inadvertently liked this post... Apologies to Cas... My intention was quite the opposite!

Great review. I've only seen the trailer for this, but even on that limited viewing the rotoscoping seems a bit gimmicky. For Linklater, yes, but war? Not so sure. Perhaps the content needs to have some sort of intentionally surreal/trippy theme before rotoscoping makes sense.

Great review. I've only seen the trailer for this, but even on that limited viewing the rotoscoping seems a bit gimmicky. For Linklater, yes, but war? Not so sure. Perhaps the content needs to have some sort of intentionally surreal/trippy theme before rotoscoping makes sense.
They're after like a boy's own war comic effect, I'm almost certain.
I liked reading old copies of Commando in the barbers with my dad and I loved discovering Charley's War through the Judge Dredd Megazine in the early 2000s and I'm all in favour of capturing bits of that aesthetic.
But the content is frequently so graphic and dour that it doesn't really gel in this case.

It is great looking but ultimately no, not fully justified.

Despite that, I still think it's a pretty great series.

I can't un-see this now.....the pic at the top of the review looks like a soldier doing an explosive fart!
Lol
Anyway, thanks for the review, this is already on our list and I'm glad it's well worth a look.

Once upon a time, I was the editor of X360 Magazine (worked with your sometimes games writer Luke Albiges actually), you know, back when we used to read glossy objects held in the hand. And pretty much any opinion we had that wasn’t a middle of the road 7/10 would get this sort of response.

‘But Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood is garbage — the only way you could POSSIBLY think it worthy of a 9/10 is if Ubisoft is paying you’. Or ‘But Destroy All Humans! Path Of The Furon is great. Did THQ forget to pay you?’

And yet never in all of my nine years writing about games, in an environment consisting of some 60+ writers and editors did I ever once see or hear about anyone taking money or goods in exchange for a positive review.

Ironically, the only people doing that are some of the people who claim their opinions have greater value than the ‘mainstream press’: A narrow minority of YouTubers.

Anyway, please stop having opinions, Tom. Thanks.

Last edited:
Brilliant four part series, watched it in one go last night.
Did it work Trioscope? Yes I would say.
True story also.

10/10

I started watching this series last night and was sorely disappointed. I love a good WWII film/programme but the weird animation was awful. I couldn’t take it seriously especially at the start of Ep 1 when the tracer fire started coming in through the fog. I found myself wondering why the characters were diving out of the way and getting hit by imaginary bullets! I wondered if it was just some sort of arty gimmick at the beginning which would then morph into ‘normal’ viewing. After forwarding through to check I unhappily switched off.
Such a pity as I was really interested to know about this group of soldiers who, as the starting narrative described would not sit down for a drink together at home, fought their way across Europe together.

I started watching it last night, but it was too late in the day and I gave up to sleep so didn’t see much. But I intend to watch it.

At first I thought the animation effect was gimmicky and distracting but what I hope it is going to do is allow more accurate equipment and vehicles - no T34s disguised as Tigers.

I will watch with interest.

Cheers,

Nigel

I've worked my way through three episodes now. I like the animation effect.....but then, I used to love reading Commando and Battle as a kid.
The only problem I find, and it may relate to my tv, is that the visuals are quite jerky, like it's running at 18fps.
It bugged me so much I ended watching on a tablet in the end. It was a little jerky, but not as noticable.

Was looking forward to this but didn't realise it was in this format. I watched it for a few mins but not my cup of tea.

Fair play to them for trying something different though.

Is it meant to be jerky, like wrong frame rate? Like the concept but not sure I can live with the stutter tbh

I watched it over the last couple of nights. I'm not a great fan of rotoscoping as an animation technique, just find it too jarring, but thought the series was really good. It's very short with 4 episodes of around 45 minutes but that does mean there's very little bloat or filler. It gets right to the point. I did notice the same stuttering frame rate as others though, don't know if it's intentional or not.

Last edited:
An interesting review thank you. Also thank you for mention of major parts of my childhood - Commando and the much loved “Battle”. Haven’t watched yet but my feeling is the rotoscoping which worked so well to enhance “A Scanner Darkly” (one of the most faithful book to screens ever in my humble) May feel a bit “off“ with this content but I may give it a go!

Decent watch, bit corny dialogue,.thought the animation was ok. The stutter and blocky image was a bit annoying though.

When I saw this advertised I liked the look and originality, now having watched the first 15-20minutes I had to turn it off, the visuals are distracting, moreover it feels to me like they are trying to hide a tight budget or limitations under an overlay of effects. The acting seemed like it was filmed in front of green screen (not sure if that is the case?).

Shame as could really do with another quality war series.

I may give it another try, some day.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom