1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The LG RE44SZ21RD (another thread!)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by horribleman, Jan 29, 2005.

1. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Apologies if this is overkill, but the other threads on this set are 6 months old, and I'm seriously considering getting one tomorrow.

I've found somewhere that does it for £1199 and I can collect to save delivery costs and the hassle of taking time off work.

I decided on this over a 36" Tosh picture frame 3 CRT - main uses will be watching DVDs, TV and playing games, using prog scan where possible.

I'd just like some feedback from people over this choice and I's like to hear what people thought of the LG RE44SZ21RD a few months on.

Thanks!

:lease:

2. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one a few months ago, and on the whole am very pleased with it. The picture is very sharp, from both DVD and Sky, and IMO is much better than plasma. I went into comet and stood about 30 feet away from the display and picked out the best picture, when I looked, it was the LG.
    I do see the rainbow effect, but only now when "im looking for it". You dont notice it after a while.

Go for it, it's the badgers nadgers!

3. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wicked. I've bought it now.

Going to collect it on Monday - also moving house that day too. What fun.

Can't wait to get my component cables for my Gamecube and Xbox now!

I'd assume that the 'rainbow' effect is less noticable if you are sitting at a reasonable distance?

4. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Another question - are both the component inputs on the back fully prog scan compatible?

5. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    my brother in law has 1 personaly i dont rate em i see the rainbow effect all the time also every now and again the picture falls behind and u see the pic being put together all in all not that impressed + he paid £2800 !!!

6. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that they are, the comp1 definately is, and you really can tell the difference on prog scan.
    just to clarify with the rainbow effect, if you do see it, don't panic, the effect will wear off in a few weeks, after that you simply don't notice it. I was really bothered by it to start with, but played around with the settings a lot (the notch filter coming down to 0 made a huge difference).

7. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've never noticed a setting for 'notch filter' in the menus on my set - how can I access this setting?

Also, I really only notice any image pantsness when I'm watching TV using my really really cheap freeview box or the RF connection. So I used that as an excuse to order Sky Digital :D

8. uralrider

uralrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has any body had one for longer, how long do the bulb last/cost to replays?
    Regards Uralrider.

9. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's in the service menu, access this by holding down the menu button on the remote and the one on the TV for a few seconds. From memory, I think it is option 4 and option 5, crank them both down to 0.

10. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks. Did this last night and there's a definite improvement.

There seems to be a LOT of image adjustment settings in the service menu. I'd have a play but I'm sure I'd mess it up.

The Xbox looks wonderful in progressive scan. Now hopefully my Gamecube cable will turn up soon!

11. Debonaire

Debonaire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey Bud, two questions:

"The Xbox looks wonderful in progressive scan. Now hopefully my Gamecube cable will turn up soon!"

Do you have a problem showing NTSC with this TV. I get slight discolouration on the lower half of my screen when I set my Xbox to NTSC to enable Prog Scan, also with my cube set to 60hz mode.

Second....what component cable are you using with your xbox? I get really bad "ghosting" effect with my 3rd Party one.

Cheers
    Debonaire

12. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I haven't noticed any problems, bit then I use RGB scart with my US Cube and PS2 until the component cables show up, and I haven't noticed anything wrong.

I am using Game's own brand cable on the Xbox, but I have an official one on order. I don't see any ghosting etc.

13. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I noticed that this set can support up to 1080i. Isn't that the resolution that is going to be used for HDTV? If so, will it be possible to connect HDTV stuff to this set, as it doesn't have an HDMI socket?

14. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting thread...only just noticed it for some reason...particularly the service menus!

Anyone know whether these settings can be used to alter the geometry? Still having the )( problem. Also, any other fine tuning settings?

Daren't mess about with them too much myself for fear of wrecking it entirely.

Thanks,

Ed.

15. Debonaire

Debonaire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx for the reply mate....it seems that i am going to have to get onto LG, or even get a replacement :mad:

16. Zaria

Zaria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any suggestions for best settings for these? On the whole very pleased with it but probably need to tweak a bit. Can't see any rainbows, but have the }{ thing when in 4:3 mode.
    Any help/opinions welcome. Thanks