• Full HD 1080p
• 5,000,000:1 Dynamic contrast ratio
• Picture Wizard II
• Invisible Speaker (10w + 10w)
• Clear Voice II
• Eco Flower
• USB 2.0 (DivX HD, MP3, Jpeg play)
• 4XHDMI

The LG LE5500 LED TV series provides Full HD 1080p picture quality with an ultra slim design perfect for your bedroom, kitchen or office. This TV will also save you money off your electricity bills with 40% power consumption saving vs. LCD TV

The LE5500 has an estimated release date of April 2010

Hi
In the quest for my 1st LCD to replace my old trinitron TV, I have the 32" LE5500 on my short list.
Do we have any reviews on this TV ?
I've seen a LE5300 (store in France) and had the chance to play a bit with it. Are there any big differences between these 2 models ?
Do we know if 5500's screen is matte or glossy ?
Thanks a lot for your help.

I may be wrong as I haven't fully got to know the model numbers and stuff, but if it follows the usual trend the LE5300 will be the same as the LE5500, it's just the EU model, so it has a slightly different model number. There will probably be one or two changes in tuners and things like that, but effectively it'll probably be the same TV. Anyway, there aren't really any reviews around because I don't think it's been released over here yet, it might be in a couple of stores on display but I don't think they're up for sale, and if they are they've only been for a week at the most. Some will come up though, and when they do I'm sure that they'll be posted on here once interest gets up after release.

Hi Monarch,
Here in France the 32LE5510 is available in stores since a few days. The TV shop in my city told 10 pieces are available, and I can have it by thursday.

I've just compared differences between models on the lcd-compare web site (Comparaison des produits sélectionnés sur LCD Compare).

Here, the 5510 is just a 5500 with a brown tinge on the border (instead a the purple one).
The main differences between 5500 and 5300 seem to be:
- a better contrast (5 000 000 / 3 000 000)
- network access (rj45, optional wifi, netcast)

In UK, I also found the 5400 model. I think this one is not (yet) distributed in France.

Thanks

Last edited:
Having read the Spec's etc. on the LG Website I am looking forward to
getting my hands on one or the other ? :smashin:

Hi Monarch,
Here in France the 32LE5510 is available in stores since a few days. The TV shop in my city told 10 pieces are available, and I can have it by thursday.

I've just compared differences between models on the lcd-compare web site (Comparaison des produits sélectionnés sur LCD Compare).

Here, the 5510 is just a 5500 with a brown tinge on the border (instead a the purple one).
The main differences between 5500 and 5300 seem to be:
- a better contrast (5 000 000 / 3 000 000)
- network access (rj45, optional wifi, netcast)

In UK, I also found the 5400 model. I think this one is not (yet) distributed in France.

Thanks

Hi lolo01. (same question like you. SL8000 or LE5500 :) )

One more plus for LE5500 VS LE5300:
local dimming on edge lit tv.

And no, no reviews for LE5500 :(

Hi lolo01. (same question like you. SL8000 or LE5500 :) )

One more plus for LE5500 VS LE5300:
local dimming on edge lit tv.

And no, no reviews for LE5500 :(

I wouldn't get too excited about the local dimming, there are only a couple of dimming zones and it's not really a feature which has been implemented on this technology before, there was an otherwise favourable review of one of the LED edgelit LG models from the new line up, but it said that the local dimming wasn't great for most of the time because there are very few zones so you get noticeably lighter and darker areas.

I don't know about UK models, but for France local dimming on LE5500 is only for 40" and bigger.
22" to 37" are edge led only.

Anyway ... I've just called the shop and ordered my 32LE5510
He should receive it on thursday ;)

Hi

Received and installed yesterday:

+
34 dvb-t channels detected without any pb
wd passport hard disk (2.5", ntfs) connected to usb port, detected immediatly

-
some clouding (top left edge)
.TS and .VOB with a 16/9 ratio are displayed with the 4/3 (did not had this pb when tested on a LE5300 in the store)

Last edited:
Hi

Received and installed yesterday:

+
34 dvb-t channels detected without any pb
wd passport hard disk (2.5", ntfs) connected to usb port, detected immediatly

-
some clouding (top left edge)
.TS and .VOB with a 16/9 ratio are displayed with the 4/3 (did not had this pb when tested on a LE5300 in the store)

Happy to hear about your acquisition but not so happy about clouding (thinking serious to CCFL- SL8000 or LD650 / 750 ) maybe if you will calibrate it will disappear a big part of clouding..........
but tell me if it has local dimming and how it act

About external HDD.did you tried to play MKV-s with DTS sound?

some photos please with your le5500 :D (if it is possible in the dark with that cloud)
or say with what differ to LE5300. :hiya:

It's my 1st LCD.
Can you please tell me the best way to calibrate it ?

but tell me if it has local dimming and how it act
No local dimming on the 32", and contrast 3'000'000:1 (not 5'000'000:1)

About external HDD.did you tried to play MKV-s with DTS sound?
Oops sorry, but I don't have any mkv. Maybe you can send me a small sample (few seconds) just for the test.
I hope a new firmware will be available soon to solve my .TS and .VOB ratio problem.

some photos please with your le5500 :D (if it is possible in the dark with that cloud) or say with what differ to LE5300. :hiya:
I will do that during the week-end :smashin:
The main differences I've noticed till now with the 32LE5300 are :
- network capabilities (rj45 / wifi / netcast / firmware upgrade)
- 2 usb ports (then one can be dedicated for the wifi dongle)

I am newer than you (me to want to buy my first LCD) so it can't be me that one who will give you advice about calibration. Just wait reviews for a good result!

About DTS I don't have a small sample but will search and send you a link to try.

3000000:1 ??? everywhere write that it has 5000000:1............. anihow it's a puffy contrast ratio :)

Netcast? it warks?

I'm waiting anxious details. ( don't rush, take your time :) )

3000000:1 ??? everywhere write that it has 5000000:1............. anihow it's a puffy contrast ratio :)

The contrast ratio will change over the net, there will be one which is use most, but there are several types of contrast ratios to quote, so you'll probably find three or four different numbers, probably ranging from around 2000:1 to 5000000:1. This figure should be ignored though really, the same with all brands, it's just a big number to stick on the stats with no real life effect.

Netcast? it warks?

I'm waiting anxious details. ( don't rush, take your time :) )

At the LG Home yesterday there was a bit of NetCast stuff going on and it seemed to work pretty well. I didn't really use it but it looked easy enough to use, as well as being quick to load pages and things like that. That was on an LE8900, but I expect it'll be pretty much the same on all of them.

Netcast seems really easy to use.

I've access to accuweather, youtube, picassa and french orange portal (news, tv guide, cinema, ...). Did not play a lot with it, but seems really easy to use.

Just a question about my TS/VOB ratio pb: when I tested on a LE5300 (store), ratio was ok.
When I check for firmware upgrade directly from my LE5510 tv, no update is available; do you think I have a chance this ratio issue will be corrected in a near future :confused: ?
Does LG publish firmware regularily ?

Thanks

EDIT: i've tested the 2012 movie trailer (mkv/dts). Video stops before the end with en error, and no sound

Last edited:
I am living in Seoul, Korea and have purchased a 42 LE5500. Instead of the NetCast Entertainment Access the TV has the Korean version called WebTV installed. I understand this is a regional thing.

I am wondering if there is any optional firmware/software (official or not) installation that could be done to either:
1. Change local news, weather etc to show in English OR
2. Install the US version of the software.

Thanks,

:D

I am living in Seoul, Korea and have purchased a 42 LE5500. Instead of the NetCast Entertainment Access the TV has the Korean version called WebTV installed. I understand this is a regional thing.

I am wondering if there is any optional firmware/software (official or not) installation that could be done to either:
1. Change local news, weather etc to show in English OR
2. Install the US version of the software.

Thanks,

:D

This is a very good question... one that i can't give the full answer to as it really depends on the service provider who has agreed to be installed on the LG TVs. As an example - youtube is a global deal with LG and you can get this anywhere however local applications will depend on their terms and conditions. BBC for example do you let you view i-player out of the UK so if i-player was on the TV you wouldnt be able to see it in korea.

I suggest you try and put country of residence in the settings to UK and see what you get...

I would be interested in knowing what you get from Korea too so please let us know! i predict it will be YouTube, Picasa, Accu Weather as these are global applications.

George

This is a very good question... one that i can't give the full answer to as it really depends on the service provider who has agreed to be installed on the LG TVs. As an example - youtube is a global deal with LG and you can get this anywhere however local applications will depend on their terms and conditions. BBC for example do you let you view i-player out of the UK so if i-player was on the TV you wouldnt be able to see it in korea.

I suggest you try and put country of residence in the settings to UK and see what you get...

I would be interested in knowing what you get from Korea too so please let us know! i predict it will be YouTube, Picasa, Accu Weather as these are global applications.

George

In Korea I am getting 4 channels for media(WebTV): Youtube, and Picasa are ones that I can use without issue. The other 2 are Korean news and weather (which I'd really like to change to English) and a media channel with games, stories recipes, exercise topics all in Korean.

I'm not sure where I would be able to change the country of residence setting.

My main Q was if anyone knew of a hack that would install the European/North American version on the LE5500. I've never played with TV software before and wouldn't mind trying.

Cheers,

Hi guys,

I have the LG 32LE5510, just bought yesterday from Australia.

Is this the same TV listed in this thread?

Wondering if this is a 10bit panel, and does it feature an IPS panel?

Here are my brief impressions.

SD/HD is very good, almost as good as my 32lab650, but this tv features less blur than my Samsung.Gaming wise, there's a tad bit of input lag, just a drop more than my old Samsung but it's still very much playable.

Blacks are good, but I've noticed the blacks go a bit white from a slight angle.I've read from the LG website that IPS don't wash out from angles, that's what I asked earlier if this is an IPS panel.

Remote is nice, again the Samsung was better.

Overall happy with it.

Hi, Has anyone ever looked the LG LE5500 TV in terms of input lag ?

Hi guys,

I have the LG 32LE5510, just bought yesterday from Australia.

Is this the same TV listed in this thread?

Wondering if this is a 10bit panel, and does it feature an IPS panel?

Here are my brief impressions.

SD/HD is very good, almost as good as my 32lab650, but this tv features less blur than my Samsung.Gaming wise, there's a tad bit of input lag, just a drop more than my old Samsung but it's still very much playable.

Blacks are good, but I've noticed the blacks go a bit white from a slight angle.I've read from the LG website that IPS don't wash out from angles, that's what I asked earlier if this is an IPS panel.

Remote is nice, again the Samsung was better.

Overall happy with it.

Did you manage to get the ethernet to work?

I can't access the network setup options, even though the light on the ethernet port comes on when I connect it. LG customer support got to the end of the crib sheet without resolving the problem.

So as far as I can tell, networking is disabled, at least on Australian models. This is not good enough and not legal, when it is an advertised feature of the TV.

I recently bought a 47in LG LE5510 as well as a 750gb WD Essential Passport SE HDD. Unfortunately for some reason files on the HDD are showing up when it is plugged into the USB on the TV. Have trialled it with other external HDDs and they appear to work fine (both externally powered HDDs and USB powered HDDs). Any ideas?

Does anyone know how much power the various models of the LE5500 use? I am particularly interested in the operational and standby power for the 55" version. Thanks.

42LE5300 vs 42SL90QR ? What better to buy :) HELP!

Hello there :)
Today I bought LG LED TV model LE5500 but I have one question...
I have needs to play one presentation video in Loop mode from USB... when I press play the video plays well, but when it goes to loop mode all the controls (play stop FF etc.) from the tv are shown on the screen.
Is there any way to turn them off ? ... so my presentation video plays in loop mode only without showing them on the screen.
Pliss Help me
:lease: HELP
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom