The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Review

johnjay

The against the clock feature became a moot point with a certain song that slows time down to a crawl enabling the player to play a few hours without a count-down that mattered. & as you said in the review the only loss even so was throw-away collectableS. As quirky as it is/was I actually felt it was a proper Zelda game esp. when the then updated "Link to the Past" field music started playing... Oh memories of such a classic...

Last edited:

Det

Distinguished Member

Vaolis

I love the Zelda games, and MM always had a special place in my heart. Probably my favourite Zelda, but I have missed a few of them over the years, sadly.

I have the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask Limited Edition pre-ordered, but I don't know if I'll pick it up or not. I don't really think the design of the console is that great, and I'd rather have the "small" one. The faceplates are a nice touch, and the coloured ABXY buttons look great on the white one. All in all, it's a bit pricey for me, though.

Det

Distinguished Member
I love the Zelda games, and MM always had a special place in my heart. Probably my favourite Zelda, but I have missed a few of them over the years, sadly.

I have the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask Limited Edition pre-ordered, but I don't know if I'll pick it up or not. I don't really think the design of the console is that great, and I'd rather have the "small" one. The faceplates are a nice touch, and the coloured ABXY buttons look great on the white one. All in all, it's a bit pricey for me, though.
Well... I'll go against the grain and say "you could just resell the Limited Edish XL" because you can't find any now... and if you're willing to ship to the US you might be able to get even more for it since they didn't come out, out here.

nero0410

Distinguished Member

You might as well, even if you don't decide to keep it. It's going to be sort after and gain value, you'd probably be able to trade it else ware for two of the smaller ones over the next couple months.

I was after one as I love zelda and my current one is the gold zelda one, and although it's sold on ebay for a fair bit, I can't let it go :rolleyes:

tris

Steven

Senior Moderator
Iwata Asks

This interview contains interesting insight behind the changes that were made and directly addresses the two points made in "Ten to Midnight" summary

Vaolis

@Det and @nero0410

It's funny because I pre-ordered it at two different stores and I can pick them both up, if I want to. I know that it's sold out at the moment and people are paying a premium for those bundles. maybe I will just try to sell one and keep the other.

What's bothering me is this: I think it's pretty cheap of Nintendo to just include the game as a pre-installed digital copy. From a special limited edition console I would've expected at least a standard retail version of the game. I don't really like digital games on consoles, on PC I don't mind, no idea why. That's why I'd rather get a standard n3DS XL in black and buy the game separately, maybe even the LE.

Regarding the n3DS vs n3DS XL: I'll definitely get a XL. I did some research yesterday and it's the same with the new one as it was with the old one. The XL just has a much better display. Higher contrast, colours have more punch. The display of the small one looks washed out and pale in comparison.

paul1979

Distinguished Member
I will await the change plates I am sure will arrive on the xl.

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
As a complete newcomer to the Zelda series (yes I know I'm late to the party) I've just picked this up with a new 3DS. I've been playing Link Between World's recently and really enjoyed it so looking to play all the Zelda games I can on the 3DS to catch up on the games I've missed out on over the years. The time limit mechanic worries me but I'm hoping to be hooked by it.

Det

Distinguished Member
As a complete newcomer to the Zelda series (yes I know I'm late to the party) I've just picked this up with a new 3DS. I've been playing Link Between World's recently and really enjoyed it so looking to play all the Zelda games I can on the 3DS to catch up on the games I've missed out on over the years. The time limit mechanic worries me but I'm hoping to be hooked by it.
Did you get hooked by it? Personally I think it's a little over the top. The game would have been much more rewarding imo if the game just progressed by day/night cycles and events happened. That may change the further I get. So far I've only reset the time once. It's paramount to slow down time eventually. For me, I keep it slowed all the time and just forward to a specific time if I need to.

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
To be honest it hasn't grabbed me, no. That might just be because I wasnt a Zelda kid growing up but I found the day/night cycle an annoyance and how it just chucks you into the game with little directive on where to go. That might be because we've been spoilt in recent years being told where to go to complete specific missions and certain events etc but I found myself wandering aimlessly and burning up all my time and just being in a constant loop. I think I'm going to try one of the other Zelda titles like Ocarina and see how I get on with that one instead!

Foster

Distinguished Member
To be honest it hasn't grabbed me, no. That might just be because I wasnt a Zelda kid growing up but I found the day/night cycle an annoyance and how it just chucks you into the game with little directive on where to go. That might be because we've been spoilt in recent years being told where to go to complete specific missions and certain events etc but I found myself wandering aimlessly and burning up all my time and just being in a constant loop. I think I'm going to try one of the other Zelda titles like Ocarina and see how I get on with that one instead!
Try windwaker on the wii u mate.

Det

Distinguished Member
Link Between Worlds was great so you got spoiled by one of the best in the series. But this one is totally different to all others imo. The day/night 3 day cycle is a bit overwhelming and I think if I didn't have the guidebook then I would have most likely given up by now.

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
Link Between Worlds was great so you got spoiled by one of the best in the series. But this one is totally different to all others imo. The day/night 3 day cycle is a bit overwhelming and I think if I didn't have the guidebook then I would have most likely given up by now.
You see I wanted to do that and read a guide or buy the walkthrough book but I thought that might be cheating! It might be the best way to go though seems as though im just going round in circles!

Det

Distinguished Member
You see I wanted to do that and read a guide or buy the walkthrough book but I thought that might be cheating! It might be the best way to go though seems as though im just going round in circles!
I tried to play it earlier and opened up my 3ds to the map while I thought about what to do. I was too lazy to open the guidebook and knew I was going to miss something so I just closed the 3ds, lol. I'm sure you could go from start to finish without ever having accomplished 90% of the stuff in the guide. I think if I ever do finish it with the guide then I'll do a speed run afterwards to see how fast I can get it all done.

thelastronin

Novice Member
I loved majoras mask back in the day, played ocarina of time as well, wind waker, twilight princess and even skyward sword, one of my all time favourite franchises!

johnjay

I'm setting the old Wii up after I log out!
Anyone reading ever get their hands on the Zelda promo disc for the Gamecube? It has Zelda 1 & 2, Ocarina of Time, Ocarina master quest & Majora's mask. I paid £5 for one so I bought the 2 that were left in Gamestop a few years back. Just happened to be browsing & thought I was seeing things... Even though we had a GC with a Gameboy player, the Wii plays GC games.:love:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom