The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

I’m going to need to get a bigger SD card....

Been ages since I played this on gameboy, but isn’t Link’s Awakening quite short (in comparison to other Zeldas)?
Wonder if they’re adding extra dungeons.

Been ages since I played this on gameboy, but isn’t Link’s Awakening quite short (in comparison to other Zeldas)?
Wonder if they’re adding extra dungeons.

There were eight in the original, plus another added to the game boy color port. The game world was pretty small but it still took a good dozen hours to get through without speed running.

Thought it was a remaster of the snes version at first Thought that will be re fun revisiting it.... but its the gameboy version which i never played so awesome

Looks so adorable. Also is that a Goomba and Chainchomp I spy?
Sure is, glad to see the weirdness of koholint hasn't been taken out in the remake. The side scrolling passages are also left in which is a nice touch, there wasn't loads of them and they were short but they worked well.

I loved the original as a kid, I've played it through so many times so be interesting to see how much I remember or they change. Also interested to see if the change it up, a game boy title remake in this day and age will struggle to command a full console title price tag, hell when it came out it wasn't the same as a SNES title on price.

Surely they will update the gameplay at least to use extra buttons, considering the Gameboy had 2 buttons and to do basic things like lift objects you had to assign it to a button, presuming things like sword, shield, lifting, Pegasus boots and maybe jumping will get dedicated buttons, bit that would bring your inventory down to about 4 items.

First Zelda game I played, and completed. What are we talking here, over 25 years ago?

Haven’t played it since but did get it on the 3DS VC. It’s in my backlog of shame but do I play it before getting the remake or after?

First Zelda game I played, and completed. What are we talking here, over 25 years ago?

Haven’t played it since but did get it on the 3DS VC. It’s in my backlog of shame but do I play it before getting the remake or after?
1993, 26 years. It's bad I knew what it was from the video, just watched that opening cut scene so many times even if it was in green and black

Never played any Zelda game before Ocarina of Time on Nintendo 64 - really looking forward to this :)

I recognised it as soon as I saw Link on the boat in the intro. I'm really happy it's been announced. I have fond memories of playing it back in the day on the original Gameboy.

I had always intended to play it again on the 3DS VC but despite owning it, I never got around to it.

I thought this was a classic Nintendo misdirect. Having all those characters together (some Mario characters in a Zelda game) which qould quickly morph into a 2D world with lots of different characters from the SNES games coming. Ah well, I never played the GameBoy game and this looks like it could be quite interesting and fun so will likely give it a go.

Looks fantastic. Link’s Awakening was my first Zelda so I have really fond memories of the world of Koholint Island.

My first ZELDA, too. Such fond memories. I hold this neck and neck with Ocarina of Time, or just below it. I used to play this on repeat, it was my world. I have always had a deep connection with this game and it's world. I have never had a 'get hyped' moment but this was my first - I was in absolute awe when I caught Link first flash up in his boat on the right side of the screen, and I let out a few screams. I had a really deep, engraved feeling from the very beginning that it could be a ZELDA game, the trailer's opening gave me shivers. Must have been in my subconscious, the waves reminding me of the original's opening cinematic.

I am really hoping they preserve the dark style and atmosphere, sombre tone, sad story and uncanny style of the original, though. From what I saw in t e trailer, it does not look like the chosen the art style will match the original's darker and mature tone. It looks so beautiful, rich and colourful but I am still not liking the Kawaii style at all. I hope my feeling changes about this. The vocal track at the end does bring that sombre mood back. Does anyone else feel the same?

I've been after a mint copy of the GB original for a couple of years now and had planned to replay it. I will definitely be replaying the original this year in time for the re-make. So stoked.

Last edited:
I recognised it as soon as I saw Link on the boat in the intro. I'm really happy it's been announced. I have fond memories of playing it back in the day on the original Gameboy.

I had always intended to play it again on the 3DS VC but despite owning it, I never got around to it.

My exact same feeling, memory, experience and plans (but to play it on the original GB). @vinvader. My favourite video game franchise. Man, I love ZELDA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Before. This is my intention.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom