The Leftovers (Season 1)

Yip slow burner but became the firt thing i wanted to watch on the planner after boardwalk finished

The lead dude is very likeable

Started off slow but finished watching EP10 and getting interesting, for some reason I love the theme tune and the music in it too

I looked on my planner last night and thought the Wife had deleted it but then realised it was only 10 episodes long :(.

Wasn't sure about this throughout, had a couple of decent episodes during and was going to hit it on the head, but final two episodes I'll admit were very good.
It's also lead me to Max Richter (composer), loving the score!

An intriguing show that draws you in and leaves you pining for resolution, which is what Damon Lindelof was good at - to an extent - with Lost. It's a little melodramatic at times but every now and then the story deviates from scenes that are too emotionally OTT to something funny or bizarre.

Agreed that the score is good. Quite haunting, really. I like Nora Durst,
the leader of the Guilty Remnant and wanted to see more of the Holy Wayne storyline in season 1

I realise the show is an adaptation of a novel, but I was unaware of that until I finished the first season. I don't know if this occurs in the book but after the first two or three episodes I began to get the impression that the show was
paving the way for the arrival of a Messianic figure

Looking forward to season 2. I just hope that HBO don't allow Lindelof to drag the concept out or lead viewers down cul-de-sacs with either no or unsatisfactory resolutions to character and story arcs.

Given the news above about the shakeup surrounding season 2 I think it could work if they follow The Wire's method of including and combining known character and story arcs by changing the angle the story's told from and introducing characters whose stories are resolved in one season while the main characters' arcs are told over the span of the entire series.

Also, Carrie Coon (Nora Durst) is a great actress. Didn't realise I'd appreciated her in another role last year: she played Ben Affleck's acerbically witted but caring sister in Gone Girl.

Second season production is relocating to Austin, Texas. Though they may still pass off the locale as New York where season one was set.

Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Christopher Eccleston, and Carrie Coon are all still expected to return.

We just started watching this. We needed something to fill the void True Detective left so we turned to this. My bird was Lost fan (I never watched it) and liked the concept behind it. It's good. Very good at times. I think that the show does a good job of blurring the line between the surreal and realistic contemporary society.

The parallels between the dogs and the ones who have stayed brought about an interesting discussion between myself and my missus.

One thing I really really really didn't like was the beginning of a mid season episode. You must know what i'm talking about. Absolutely horrific. Probably the nastiest thing i've ever seen on telly. Really unnecessary that.

A powerful thing are photos.

I've just started watching this but have to say the first 2 episodes were completely underwhelming, surely they could have come up with something more gripping and intriguing as a pilot episode.

Looking at this thread the show doesn't seem to pick up till episodes 6/7.

I've just started watching this but have to say the first 2 episodes were completely underwhelming, surely they could have come up with something more gripping and intriguing as a pilot episode.

It is a slow burner but worth sticking with. The premise is less important than the characters throughout the story, all of whom are haunted by the event and suffer from PTSD because of it - and because of the thought of it occurring again and how that plays with people's emotions and fears.

I can't remember exactly what happened in the pilot, but can say that this is one of the best shows I've seen in recent years. The focus of the show is really about dealing with loss, and so it's very slow, haunting and depressing at times. I just loved the whole Guilty Remnant thing.

Last edited:
I must rewatch this just so I can get to one of the greatest tv episodes of all time- S2E8 :cool:

Easily in my top 5 shows EVER but would never knock the sopranos off 😉

It gets better and better and one of the best endings to 👍

Where u watching it btw it's due a second run for me.

They lay out a lot of loose threads - character and plot - in the first few episodes, maybe more, that are woven together as the story progresses. I was intrigued by the premise and characters from the off so don't recall having trouble with the pacing or plot early doors.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom