The Leftovers - Final Season 3 (HBO) 2017

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
HBO has renewed the show for a final third season. Happy with that.

Press Release;
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 10, 2015 — HBO has renewed the critically acclaimed drama series THE LEFTOVERS for a third and final season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. Created by Damon Lindelof (Emmy® winner for “Lost”) and Tom Perrotta (Academy Award® nominee for “Little Children”), the series is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television.

“It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome back Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta and the extraordinary talent behind THE LEFTOVERS for its third and final season,” said Lombardo. “This show has proven to be one of the most distinctive HBO series and we are extremely proud of its unrivaled originality, which has resulted in such a passionate following by our HBO viewers. We admire and fully support Damon’s artistic vision and respect his decision to bring the show to its conclusion next season.”

“I have never, ever experienced the level of creative support and trust that I have received from HBO during the last two seasons of THE LEFTOVERS,” says Damon Lindelof. “Tom, myself and our incredible team of writers and producers put tremendous care into designing those seasons as novels unto themselves…with beginnings, middles and ends. As we finished our most recent season, it became clear to us that the series as a whole was following the same model…and with our beginning and middle complete, the most exciting thing for us as storytellers would be to bring THE LEFTOVERS to a definitive end. And by ‘definitive,’ we mean ‘wildly ambiguous but hopefully mega-emotional,’ as all things related to this show are destined to be.

“On behalf of our incredible crew and superb cast, we are all tremendously grateful that HBO is giving us an opportunity to conclude the show on our own terms…an opportunity like this one rarely comes along, and we have every intention of living up to it. One more thing. We are blessed by the unwavering support of our fans and the incredibly powerful voice of the critical community. We feel absolutely privileged to heat up one last helping of leftovers.”

In the second season of THE LEFTOVERS, the show expanded on the original concept of The Rapture that was explored in Tom Perrotta’s bestselling novel of the same name, continuing to focus on the ways ordinary people react to inexplicable events. Season two told a tale of two families, the Garveys and the Murphys, whose lives intersected in surprising ways, following the Garveys from New York to eastern Texas, where one small town, nicknamed “Miracle,” and its residents had been spared during The Departure.

The finale of the second season of THE LEFTOVERS debuted Dec. 6 on HBO. Among the critical praise, the New York Times hailed THE LEFTOVERS as “outstanding” and referred to it as a “master class,” while HitFix.com deemed the show “TV’s best drama,” as well as “powerful, immersive.” TheHollywood Reporter said that “every performance is superlative,” and TVLine.com hailed the series as “breathtaking, audacious, innovative.” Season two has been included in many Best of 2015 critics’ lists, while Vulture.com has lauded THE LEFTOVERS as “one of the great dramas in American television.”

Season two series regulars included Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, Carrie Coon, Ann Dowd, Margaret Qualley, Chris Zylka, Regina King, Kevin Carroll, Jovan Adepo and Janel Moloney.

Season two credits: THE LEFTOVERS is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television; created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta; executive produced by Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta, Mimi Leder, Tom Spezialy, Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey; co-executive producers, Gene Kelly, Jacqueline Hoyt, Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa. Lindelof serves as showrunner.

'And final season...' Thank goodness for that! They must have more story to tell. I wonder whether they're thinking about introducing a new protagonist?

Fantastic news for us die hard fans!
So pleased it has got a final season so they can work towards a proper end.

Damon Lindelof and proper end, have a word with yourself ;)

Great news & plenty of notice for the writers to somehow sort of tie it together if they can!

For now I'd imagine S3 will probably
• have flashbacks in/after opening episode to detail the day's carnage up to Kevin's return
• deal with aftermath particularly the Murphys of Eva dismal return
• have a reckoning for the GR
• jump ahead to Mary's likely tragic childbirth

Damon Lindelof and proper end, have a word with yourself ;)

He may have a poor track record in how to end a show successfully, but remember, Tom Perotta is part of the show and will hopefully have a huge say in how it ends.

Well that's what I am hoping for.

Great news, have loved the first two seasons & it's nice to know ahead of time that the third season is its last.

Great news about 3rd series my favourite programme it's just brilliant.

Concentrate on a new bunch of characters or risk undoing all the great work they've done.

No way, it's not an anthology style series.

No point continuing a story that's already reached it's conclusion though.

Concentrate on a new bunch of characters or risk undoing all the great work they've done.

Fraid I disagree as well. If it were 2 more seasons, then I could see the sense of new group of characters.

We have invested a lot of time into a few characters already, Garvey & Jamison and now the Murphys, there is still a lot more story to be told with all of them.

Fraid I disagree as well. If it were 2 more seasons, then I could see the sense of new group of characters.

We have invested a lot of time into a few characters already, Garvey & Jamison and now the Murphys, there is still a lot more story to be told with all of them.

Sorry I just don't see it. Don't see what story is left for them at all? If Lindenholf does the Garvey's again then it'll just be forced. Get a new bunch of characters is what I say. There are many people affected in that world, would be better to go in a new direction - 10 episodes should be enough.

Sorry I just don't see it. Don't see what story is left for them at all? If Lindenholf does the Garvey's again then it'll just be forced. Get a new bunch of characters is what I say. There are many people affected in that world, would be better to go in a new direction - 10 episodes should be enough.

There is their adopted baby Lilly. She is the offspring of Holy Wayne, so I think she will have his power too, maybe?!?

The Murphys are also very interesting and we know hardly anything about what makes them tick. We have had a couple of snippets, but that's all.

And Matt & Mary, pregnant with a baby that everyone said couldn't happen. And then there was Mary in the Kevin episode 8 as well!

The GR need to be removed from Jarden as well. Mad Meg and her followers will come unstuck somehow.

That's more than enough there for 10 episodes! Maybe they should sign me up to write on season 3? Lol! :)

Damon Lindelof: (possible spoilers for S2)
“When the finale aired I started getting even positive reviews saying, ‘I don’t want there to be anymore.’ I thought, Oh, shit, but I kind of do want there to be one more season. I have to look under the hood of what they’re saying and translate it and accept it at its most base ideology: you’re going to undo this season by doing a season that’s not as good. It’s sort of, like, why push your luck? That’s not the way I look at it. Am I still compelled to tell stories in this world about these people? Yes, and that’s why it was important when HBO called and said they wanted to pick up the show for a third season, I said, ‘We should also announce this is going to be the last season.’ HBO was like, ‘Let’s keep it open. We don’t have to do that.’ I said, ‘I think it’s important that we do. The critical community — and that’s the voice of the audience I keep hearing, because I’m not on Twitter or in people’s living rooms — has done a good job voicing what the audience is thinking. If the critical audience is thinking season two is enough, then if we’re going to do more, we’re not going to do much more.’”

“The big thing we gotta figure out for season three is: Where are we going to end it? What’s the last episode of this series going to be? We’ll design the entire season basically building up to that moment. I think there was a very purposeful circularity between seasons one and two, with the ‘wherever you go, there you are’ theme of it all. We decided to end the second season very similar to the first season. The Garveys felt like they could pickup and go to this place the Departure didn’t happen, but lo and behold, the same exact thing happened. The only safe place is the place you’re surrounded by the people you love. We can’t do that again, and not just because the audience is expecting it, but because we were telling a story about geography in season two, while season three is going to be something else entirely.”

Full interview - Damon Lindelof Talks The Leftovers Season Three

Last edited:
They're only moving again! The Garveys are headed around the world to Australia, and the move makes sense. As fans know,
Kevin Garvey's possibly resurrected father communicated with his son through the television from Australia, while he was temporarily dead

I hope they keep the same opening credits. I thought that they were brilliant and much better than those of season 2.

I hope they keep the same opening credits. I thought that they were brilliant and much better than those of season 2.

Am sure they will change as they did from season 1. Reckon they will be just as mad though!

Great news on season 3 again....

- To air in 2017 :(

- Lindsay Duncan joins cast

The Leftovers is reported to return in the first quarter of 2017. Usually, the series with eight episodes airs in January.

Filming in Australia

RhUeAvA.jpg
5WScKmw.jpg
lzfaAJC.jpg
bk62eLm.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom