The learning to play - Soundcloud clips

Wow, now that is good :)

tris

Tried a quick go at Gary Moore and ACDC this morning, none of the patches I could find I could tweak to anywhere near happy. Think I'll have to keep coming back to these, maybe with some decent IRs.

Trying to set myself a goal of creating a patch each time I have a session. Hopefully I'll get a bank of patches that I'm happy with as goto tones.

Tried a quick go at Gary Moore and ACDC this morning, none of the patches I could find I could tweak to anywhere near happy. Think I'll have to keep coming back to these, maybe with some decent IRs.

Trying to set myself a goal of creating a patch each time I have a session. Hopefully I'll get a bank of patches that I'm happy with as goto tones.

In my experience these things take time. A year into the axe fx and I can now honestly say I'm pretty confident at getting great sounding presets, although it's mostly always tweaking others efforts. Not sure I could start from scratch with all the complicated routings.

These things aren't really plug and play and need a bit of working at. Having listened to countless clips of the helix, the awesome sounds are in there somewhere and just need adjusting for your set up and playing style. Did you get Fremen's pack? Certainly helped me.

On the plus side, it definitely makes you play more, which is always a good thing. [emoji106]

Having watched this, I now understand what to do with IRs now I've got them. Was still a bit unsure how they linked with specific patches.

I got the Fremen presets, which may somehow have found their way to Christian ;)

This guy runs a Helix patches Facebook group. Thinking about grabbing his, they sound pretty good to me.

What did you think of the Fremen pack?? How are you listening to the helix, headphones or monitors etc?

Monitors. Only had a brief play around with a few of them, sounded good what I heard though. Going to have a proper play around with them now I have a better understanding of what to do with IRs.

In his readme with he patches, he suggested putting the IRs in specific numbered slots, so the patches would know where to find them. Didn't really understand why at the time, but I've got a better handle on it now. So time to have a proper play.

Yep, the Freemen are quality and sound good as a base. There is a lot going on though and if you want to tweak the tones as they don't quite sound right it's hard to know where to start.

Also found the limitation in processing can be hard to deal with on the larger patches. Had some success with adding EQ but the more paths the more complicated it gets and before you know it you have come up with something that sounds much worse. Never mind when you start adding different mics, positioning and speakers.

Kind of miss having thousands of presets at hand so I can audition 10 or so in the general ball park and pick my favourite. Think I need a way of feeding an mp3 file in and the Helix magically produces the tone for me, doesn't the Axe2 have something like that :D

Thinks it's still quite complex, mainly for matching Cab settings comparing against a real valve amp.

I was thinking something a bit more magic.

Along the lines of play MP3 into it and the perfect matched tone automatically arrives with no further input from me :laugh:

Interesting where he demonstrates briefly how much difference a cab makes to an amps sound.

Had some success with adding EQ but the more paths the more complicated it gets and before you know it you have come up with something that sounds much worse. Never mind when you start adding different mics, positioning and speakers.

Reckon you can understand the reasoning behind my realisation that 'buying a Helix and trying to get 18 matching song tones, just a week before a gig' was not the right timing! It does need a lot of understanding to match with your equipment and setup, somewhat easier with neutral monitors, but still needs weeks to get it at your best.

Interesting where he demonstrates briefly how much difference a cab makes to an amps sound.

So true in actual amps as well. Playing with a standard Marshall 4x12 at Rehearsals, I don't need a noise gate with my relay system. Using the much dearer 1960 Marshall cab, the treble suddenly sparkles, cuts through the mix more, but hisses and needs the Noise Gate.

What did you think of the 1960, I toyed with buying a used one at one point that was on Gumtree?

EDIT: ah just remembered the letters after indicate the speakers. So it could have been any config

What did you think of the 1960, I toyed with buying a used one at one point that was on Gumtree?

EDIT: ah just remembered the letters after indicate the speakers. So it could have been any config

Superb. Rehearsal room 4x12 cab has 1960 badge, bottom left, it's actually one of the studio guys own but let's me borrow it. Our other guitarist has bought a 2nd hand one that sounds exactly the same.

The guy I played with a few times over the summer had a Marshall 4x12, was surprised how small it was. Was expecting it to be double the size of the MX212 but it was only slightly bigger, was quite heavy though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom