The learning to play for real thread

Bri, thought you must have fallen off your bike to make an appearance here mate :)
Can't beat the outside, but guitar is good for when you cant get out.

Bought a custom vibe 50s Squier strat. Has really bad buzzing on E and A strings. Took it to shop, had it set up. Buzz gone, but the high E and B string have a metallic twang to them when fretted, took it back, was told its normal for 50s neck, sounds like bs to me.
Didn't really want to leave it with him as he messed me about ie be ready tomorrow, tomorrow etc for a week then said couldn't find it. Plus the fact he said it's normal suggested he wouldn't do anything anyway.
I don't know what to check myself, apart from relief which seems to be spot on.

Bought a custom vibe 50s Squier strat. Has really bad buzzing on E and A strings. Took it to shop, had it set up. Buzz gone, but the high E and B string have a metallic twang to them when fretted, took it back, was told its normal for 50s neck, sounds like bs to me.
Didn't really want to leave it with him as he messed me about ie be ready tomorrow, tomorrow etc for a week then said couldn't find it. Plus the fact he said it's normal suggested he wouldn't do anything anyway.
I don't know what to check myself, apart from relief which seems to be spot on.
Is it every fret, or does it reduce higher up the neck?

Frets 1&2 sound OK, the rest seem to have it. New strings were put on it at shop. Frets leveled.

Depends how much you paid mate, but it is a classic vibe and not a US spec’ed guitar so he may have done as much as he could for the money you paid. The classic stance is can you hear the frets buzz through a guitar at gig level and some of it could be your playing style.

50s necks are harder to balance as the neck is curved and honestly they are designed for people who play chords and rhythm below the 8th fret, raising the action on the problem strings usually solves the problem. Not to say you can’t get a low action but on a cheap guitar sometimes you just have to accept there is a reason people pay 2k plus for a custom made guitar.

Matalic twangs are usually fret catching on the next fret up because you are plucking harder than the relief/action allows. It can be much more noticeable acoustically than through an amp. There are other causes such as sympathetic resonance but thats more common with metal nuts on a Floyd or Gibson. it can happen after the nut but its easy to test by putting a bungy around or something under to dampen.

Equally he may just have done a basic setup or a bad job and not levelled it like you thought.

Sounds like BS to me too. If it sounds a bit like a sitar, then that means it's a problem with the nut - probably the nut slot is not sufficiently angled to ensure that the string cuts off properly on the fretboard side of the nut. Otherwise, it sounds like the first or second fret is too high - the guy should absolutely be able to check that with a fret rocker - or you can buy one (they aren't very expensive and it's a good tool for any guitarist to have) and check it yourself.

Could also be a loose fret at well, so only happens when you push down on the fret causing it to be lower. A good tech would spot but otherwise frets can look level.

I’ve got a 1982 JV Squire Strat and a Classic 50s Tele, both with 7.25” radius and no problems with buzzing/metallic sounds (or playing above the 8th fret either ;) ). It might just be down to set up, neck relief, action or a high fret. The radius shouldn’t be used as an excuse IMHO.

Granted my Esquire project has a 9.5” radius and I can set the action a little lower on that guitar, but I use heavier strings on it too.

I think we are all spoilt now we used to all get guitars like this in the early days. When we buy a guitar now we look out for warning signs that the neck is not quite straight or frets are not fitted well without thinking. This is much more likely on a sub 400 quid guitar than a 1k plus guitar at least from my experience as the factories tend to hand finish.

I‘m sure I could walk in into PMT tomorrow and pick a number of guitars that are just bad buys. Even with a setup and a fret dress the action is never going to amazing and frankly a 7.5 radius makes that more likely due to radius of the neck. Bridges and guitar bodies are relatively flat, frets aren’t. Sure on a hand built guitar but in a Chinese factory there is always going to be a few that the fret slots aren’t cut right or frets seated properly, bad glue etc.

I had a squire 50's classic vibe tele, pretty sure it was a 9.5 radius? Had a fender classic series and a Greco that is 7.5, and there is a noticeable difference in feel.
Either way dosn't sound like good service from the shop :(.

I got this last week. Im on Day 2 and I absolutely SUCK. I can't determine fret finger positions, never strum the right string, my fingers don't even reach all fret positions. I keep switching tracks to determine one I may be able to do and alas, can't do it. So tempted to sell all my equipment. Reading all about muscle memory etc but I don't see how thats possible if I can't even get the basics right ? :(

I got this last week. Im on Day 2 and I absolutely SUCK. I can't determine fret finger positions, never strum the right string, my fingers don't even reach all fret positions. I keep switching tracks to determine one I may be able to do and alas, can't do it. So tempted to sell all my equipment. Reading all about muscle memory etc but I don't see how thats possible if I can't even get the basics right ? :(

We've all been there! It's perfectly normal. Stick at it, it does get easier...honest :D

I've been playing 9 1/2 years now and I still think I suck at times :rotfl:

If you're talking Rocksmith, I'd try sticking with one track you like for now, if you've got dynamic difficulty on, then it will take away notes when it feels that you're struggling to make it easier.

If you see on the virtual neck then four frets will be highlighted, those are your four finger positions.

Hi there. :hiya:

As Goooner above says, stick with it. It's a very difficult hobby. If it was easy, everyone would be rock stars :rotfl:. This is not something you're going to pick up in a week. It's lifetime journey.

I've been playing over nine years too and I would still class myself as a beginner. Maybe an intermediate-beginner. :D

You'll never be as good as you want to be. I bet if you asked Eric Clapton, he'd say he's still learning.

The highlighted fret numbers for anchor points is the biggest thing to take notice of. Having a good anchor and not moving about is essential. If you haven't done so yet, I'd highly recommend you go through the lessons part of Rocksmith. At least the first few including strumming, picking and fretting/finger placement. This cover anchor points.

You want to be just behind the fret, not on it, and you only want to press down enough to make a clean note. Any harder and it will sound bad and not be picked up by Rocksmith. We all occasionally "Grip of Death", so don't stress it. It will come.

Stick to "Learn A Song". Don't go near Score Attack yet. That section can be very demoralising for beginners. You can sort the songs by diffculty, so do that. Ignore the first six. Somehow, when remastered came out and we got

Bob Marley & the Wailers “Three Little Birds”
Elvis Presley “Suspicious Minds”
FUN. “Some Nights”
The Jackson 5 “I Want You Back”
OutKast “Hey Ya!”
Train “Drops of Jupiter”

Something went awry with the difficulty. These always appear at the top suggesting that they are the easiest songs in the game. They are not.

If you look on the edge of your fretboard, you should see dots representing the frets 3, 5, 7, 9 & 12 and so on. If you bought the physical version of Rocksmith you should have a set of numbered stickers in the box that you can stick next to these dots to help, or just get some off Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B08JLTB9G3
If you know someone who can change your strings for you , you can also get clour coded strings that match Rocksmith.
Amazon product ASIN B00DND2SN8
Wish I had those when we started. I (And the rest of us here) were all over the place. Wrong frets, wrong strings, pressing too hard, not pressing hard enough. :rotfl:

And feel free to ask us here as many daft questions as you like. We all asked them 10 years ago too. :rotfl:

Thanks - so would you suggest I keep going with "learning" using Rocksmith rather than go another route with JustinGuitar etc?

My main issues are:

Not navigating to the right fret
Not strumming the right string

I could do this if the screen was below the guitar neck but it's not so I miss the mark !

Also how can I not move if its going from fret 3 to 5? My fingers don't stretch that far, and then when it goes from 5 to 12, surely I have to slide then?

Definitely use something like Justinguitar, it won’t be any easier, but it’s a good structured learning course.

Rocksmith is great for keeping things fun and keeping you playing, once you’ve got past the very basic stuff.

Some of the arcade games are good to practice in Rocksmith too. Thinking probably ducks if you’re having trouble finding the right frets.

If dynamic difficulty is doing it’s job right, you should probably only be having to worry about the bottom string or maybe the bottom two.

By bottom of course I mean the ones at the top, furthest from the floor :D

Also how can I not move if its going from fret 3 to 5? My fingers don't stretch that far, and then when it goes from 5 to 12, surely I have to slide then?

If it’s fret 3 to 5, first finger should be on 3 middle finger should be on 5.

If you’re going to 12, then yes you will have to move, but then the highlighted frets should also have moved, so your first finger is now on 12 and so on.

If you’re having trouble reaching then make sure your thumb is lower down the neck, as in nearer the top string (the thin one, nearest the floor, that will allow your fingers to stretch further apart.

Thanks - so would you suggest I keep going with "learning" using Rocksmith rather than go another route with JustinGuitar etc?

My main issues are:

Not navigating to the right fret
Not strumming the right string

I could do this if the screen was below the guitar neck but it's not so I miss the mark !

I, personally would continue with Rocksmith. Easier to pick up JustinGuitar once you get the basics down.

Getting to the right frets will come pretty quickly (Days). Getting to the right fret in time is the problem we all still get to this day depending on the speed/complexity of the piece we are trying to play.

Hitting the wrong string will take a while longer (maybe a week or two) but it will come. Again we still hit the wrong string now. It just gets less often the more you practice.

Moving from 3 to 5? You shouldn't move there. You really should be playing 3rd fret with 1st finger, 5th with 3rd finger. You really shouldn't be sliding all over the place fretting with only your 1st finger. Stretching will come. It just takes a bit of time to get used to it.

Yeah, you have to move up the neck if the part you're playing is at the 12th fret, but it's good practice to keep the hand moving as little as you can get away with. That's where the anchor points come in. Make sure to check it out in the lessons.

Having the screen below the virtual fretboard wouldn't work, as it's this exact thing that's telling you when to pick the string.

You do know that you pick the string when the on screen note hits the virtual guitar? My dad was missing this. He was just picking when he felt like it was the right time. I had to stand by the TV and point at the virtual guitar and say "Wait until the blob hits the string on screen".

Sorry if that's obvious, but like I say, my dad missed that.

Oh and a little too that my tutor gave me a couple of months ago, that hadn’t ever occurred to me, but I actually found worked and was really helpful.

If you’re making a big position jump, look at the fee you’re jumping to first and your fingers will find it easier.

Like I said, sounds obvious, but it had never really occurred to me.

ok thx for the tips, i went extreme and just labelled my frets and coloured my strings. dont care about the off tuning for now. When putting my index finger on 3 and middle on 5 it cant reach if I do it by doing a V sign with my fingers, I sort of have to tilt my hand to reached the 5 if my 1st finger is on 3

ok thx for the tips, i went extreme and just labelled my frets and coloured my strings. dont care about the off tuning for now. When putting my index finger on 3 and middle on 5 it cant reach if I do it by doing a V sign with my fingers, I sort of have to tilt my hand to reached the 5 if my 1st finger is on 3

That sounds like you're stretching with fingers 1 and 2. Should be 1 and 3. Shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Basically, 1 finger per fret. 4 fingers for 4 adjacent frets. And yes, you will need to use finger 4 (pinky) at some point later. That will be hard at first.

Also, the game will reject everything you do if your guitar isn't in tune. And the game's tuner is slightly different to an external tuner, so when using the game, tune with the game's tuner.

Isnt that finger 1 and 2? or is it finger 1 fret 3, finger 3 fret 5?

Isnt that finger 1 and 2? or is it finger 1 fret 3, finger 3 fret 5?

Goooner will be along soon to apologise for confusing you. :D

It"s finger 1 fret 3, finger 3 fret 5.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom