The learning to play for real thread

Just realised I posted this in the the wrong thread anyway :laugh:

It’s my go to RS guitar because of the robot tuners. Might be time to charge up the battery for the Variax and bring that out again. Can’t even remember the last time i played it.

The LP came with 9s when I bought it, I always assumed they came with 10s.

Just this on topic for the thread:D

Learning Back In Black for my lessons, which are now over Skype, not ideal, but better than nothing, which has got me thinking I really might need an SG.

Never played one though and of course, it’s not like I can just go out and try one at the moment:laugh:

Much as I love the Helix, unless you really know what you’re doing with it, which I obviously don’t:D It’s not the easiest thing to dial in a tone on the fly, especially when someone’s telling you stuff like “more gain” over Skype, turned up the gain on the amp i’d set it to as high as it would go, closer but not quite there, so tried a different amp, again close but not quite there. Could’ve downloaded and AC/DC patch or fiddles some more, but the clock was ticking and I was paying:laugh:

After the lesson finished, I thought I’d give the DT25 a go, man, I’d forgotten how good it could sound with minimal tweaking, pretty much just dialling it in to one of the “presets” that were on the label that came with it and how good an actual amp can sound as opposed to the Helix via studio monitors.

Shouldn’t really be surprised of course, the Katana always sounds great, but that’s in another room and I never play it so close after playing through the Helix.

Broke a string playing my LP just now (first time I ever remember breaking a string while playing).

It’s strung with 9s, typically I’ve got a couple of packs of 10s in reserve, but of course no 9s and all the shops are shut :)

How much of an issue is it likely to be at all, if at all, would it be if I put 10s on it? I know you’re supposed to set up again if you change string gauge aren’t you?

I’ve ordered some more off Amazon, but they’ll take a week to arrive. Should I wait or will 10s be ok without changing anything else?

Get the 60th Anniversary Strat out for a week and give it some love. Then enjoy the LP again when you go back. Simples. :)

Changing 9 and 10s on high e string not a major deal but depends on thicker strings if you have to change whole set? Have you not got single spare 9 and 10? That’s the best solution as it’s nearly always lightest string if one goes. My local PMT stocked Rotosound 9 and 10s which I would put on until next whole set change.

Haha, real amp!

You can convince yourself all you like that modelling and monitors is top notch sound. But never known a ‘real amp‘ not sound the business.

Nope, I’ve got two spare sets of 10s and 5 out of 6 strings from my last pack of 9s, of course the one I’m missing is the high e, the one I need because I broke one when I restrung it last :)

Should’ve ordered some more at the time, but hey, who knew we’d all be in lockdown and couldn’t get guitar strings for a week? Even Amazon would normally have been next day delivery:D

First world problems eh?

The Strat gets plenty of love, use that for my lessons normally. Before the lockdown at least, that’s kept in the case, all the others are on stands, so normally it’s the LP for RS in the lounge and then I grab my Tele if I’m in the spare room to practice.

Haha, real amp!

You can convince yourself all you like that modelling and monitors is top notch sound. But never known a ‘real amp‘ not sound the business.

A lot to be said for real amps. Especially if you can turn them up, which I can’t as often as I like, unfortunately:laugh:

Broke a string playing my LP just now (first time I ever remember breaking a string while playing).

It’s strung with 9s, typically I’ve got a couple of packs of 10s in reserve, but of course no 9s and all the shops are shut :)

How much of an issue is it likely to be at all, if at all, would it be if I put 10s on it? I know you’re supposed to set up again if you change string gauge aren’t you?

I’ve ordered some more off Amazon, but they’ll take a week to arrive. Should I wait or will 10s be ok without changing anything else?
It won't make any noticeable change to the setup. Knowing it's there will be the hard part. Just convince yourself it's a custom set :D

Can send you my Helix patches for ACDC if you are interested, but Back in Black seems to be more that there are two guitars so tight with the bass when I obsessed over trying to emulate the tone. Was one of my grade 5 pieces but there is that riff in the middle which you slide into which kept me busy for a long time, so quick. The initial Hendrix bend on the G took a while to master but used in so many songs it's a good one to get if you haven't already.

I've had a few lessons lessons online too now and surprised how well it has gone. The Instructor is finding it more challenging but I actually think I’m getting a better lesson because of it and I'm learning a lot. Had to apologise as work as been so busy I've not felt like doing much practice and maybe need to move to a different room as my guitars are in the same room. Spending all day in the same room I just want to get out by the time I've logged off.

One thing that my new instructor has pushing hard is cracking intervals. I've done them before and thought I wasn't too bad until I tried and realised I couldn't do it without my guitar. Found singing 'Do Ray Me...' actually works and it's having the side effect of training my voice. Instructor has pointed me at the following web site which has really helped, worth checking out if you stink like me and has other stuff on which I've not looked at yet

I’ve got another BiB patch to try, sounded good on YouTube, but wouldn’t mind trying yours too please mate.

A 45 minute lessons isn’t really the time to be fiddling around with tones, when the clock’s ticking.

Want to try and be a bit more prepared for next time.

Had been doing Black Dog before that and I had a decent tone sorted for that but when we switched it wasn’t ideal.

The only issue I’ve had with Skype lessons is normally, in person he writes the tab out and gives it to me, but now he’s having to resort to writing it out taking a picture and WhatsApp’ing it over which is fine, but annoying at the same time when you’re trying to read it and play at the same time and the phone screen keeps going off :laugh:

WhatsApp’ing it over which is fine, but annoying at the same time when you’re trying to read it and play at the same time and the phone screen keeps going off :laugh:

Not sure if you know, but you can have Whatsapp on your laptop too. That way you get a bigger screen to play with if it helps? So you can have Whatsapp on your phone and one other device at the same time. I usually keep a tab open for Whatsapp when I'm browsing the web.

I didn’t know, thanks.

Only just started using it a couple of weeks ago, so he could send me pictures if the tab, apparently it’s not compressed or something like if you email or text it?

I’ll stick it on my pc too, that will make life a lot easier.

Sent you a link to the three I kept.

I've been building an Artist Setlist which I've also copied into the folder too if it's any use. It's handy when I just want a quick tone for a song to get in the ball park.

Got it, thanks mate.

I usually just do a search on CustomTone for whatever song I want, something usually shows up. Can be a bit hit and miss quality wise though.

Normally just grab the highest rated couple.

Really need to sit down and watch some YouTube tutorials and start using it properly. There‘s loads it can do, as you know. Most of it way beyond my understanding though :laugh:

The LP came with 9s when I bought it, I always assumed they came with 10s.

Being used to 9s on my fenders I always found 9s to feel too loose on a Gibson scale length. Have tried them with 10s but set both my V100 and SG with 9.5s, seemed to work well for me.

Picked up the guitars over the weekend for the first time in ages, my fingers are hurting! I moved February 19, spent some time doing some renovations etc and didn't get back in the routine of picking up the guitar again, starting to feel sorry for my neglected beauty’s now!

Hope your all keeping well in these crazy times :)

Easily done, but it can be good to have a break or you can feel like you are going through the motions. Belated congrats on the house move and keep well too mate.

I managed to get a lighter set for my Washburn acoustic; it has 13s on it, but I'm struggling with them even though I've gone up to 10s on my Tele. The other trouble is that I've been catching up on lots of gardening during the lock down and I seem to keep getting thorns or splinters in my left hand finger tips. :rolleyes:
I just about finished a multitrack recording of one of my songs that I'd played at a few open mics earlier this year. Of course, it's never really 'finished' and I keep spotting bits I want to go back and re-work. Might just give that song a rest and try something else for a change: I've taken a long weekend this coming weekend (as believe it or not, it's been busy working from home/the few site visits I have had to do). Quite looking forward to not being attached to my phone/laptop for a few days. :)

Hi all - hope everyone is keeping safe?

Question - any suggestions on how to jam virtually? My drummer mate has suggested Jamkazam, but apparently you need a minimum 64bit PC and a mic in. All my PCs/laptops meet some but not all of the criteria !! Anyone any other toughts?

Kind of hard to do due to latency, not tried Jamkazam but I guess you would have to play to a synced backing track and hear the combined music at the end. Only way I can it working.

There was a music app (bandhub?) a few years back that was pretty good that you could record a piece and then other people would add to it combining all the tracks. Looked pretty good but it didn’t have financial backing to get enough traction to make it more than a bit of fun and it wasn’t that cheap.

Made first recording in over a year! My running group picked three teams of 10 and everyone had to sing one of the verses of Python's 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' and record the video on phone while running or at home!

Being a very poor singer, I played a few notes by ear on the guitar!

This section of the forum sure is quiet these days!

Been back working for a couple of weeks now, after two months furlough. Working from home, which is great, Spotify streaming on my pc, working in the room with all my guitars, so able to grab one for a quick noodle around at quiet times (of which there seem to be quite a few, so another furlough is not completely off the table. Not that I'm complaining, there's a lot of people out there a lot worse off).

Going to be a while until I'm back in the office, they've got to get a load of screens and stuff set up, to separate the desks and everything.

Anyway, I've managed to learn White Room in a few days, still needs some polishing and again it's not the most complicated song, but I can play along to the record.

Not quite sure what's changed. I used to have real trouble learning songs right the way through, but since doing the couple of student concerts and having to learn songs properly, it does seem to be easier. Whether it gets easier the more you do it, or I'm more focused, I've no idea. Not complaining though, it's only taken 9 years to get to this stage :laugh:

Yeah, similar here....being playing loads at home and on conference calls as long as the video is off and I'm set to mute :)

Been learning some new tunes, or just rocking along to old skool classics like I used to when I was young !! Great fun

Just been told by our Occy Health nurse that our C-19 controls are the best she's seen amongst all the factory/office sites she attends. Great to hear that from a health professional. I'm taking it as a pat on the back :cool:

This section of the forum sure is quiet these days!

Been back working for a couple of weeks now, after two months furlough. Working from home, which is great, Spotify streaming on my pc, working in the room with all my guitars, so able to grab one for a quick noodle around at quiet times (of which there seem to be quite a few, so another furlough is not completely off the table. Not that I'm complaining, there's a lot of people out there a lot worse off).

Going to be a while until I'm back in the office, they've got to get a load of screens and stuff set up, to separate the desks and everything.

Anyway, I've managed to learn White Room in a few days, still needs some polishing and again it's not the most complicated song, but I can play along to the record.

Not quite sure what's changed. I used to have real trouble learning songs right the way through, but since doing the couple of student concerts and having to learn songs properly, it does seem to be easier. Whether it gets easier the more you do it, or I'm more focused, I've no idea. Not complaining though, it's only taken 9 years to get to this stage :laugh:

It does get easier with every song. I think its a bit the impetus and confidence that having played live gives you, plus focusing more, knowing you can do it and reach the end. I freaked out at 5 and did 32 by the time I stopped! Mind you, I tried last week and it takes a lot of listening back to play some of them, now I'm long out of practice.

Yeah, if I played some of the stuff I learned before again now, I'd pretty much have to re-learn it, I reckon, although hopefully it would come back pretty quick. I'll have to dig out my Comfortably Numb tab and see.

I started learning how to use Garageband around New Year, which has coincided with lockdown. This culminated in my first attempt at home recording last week, and proved I’m still learning as I set the wrong tempo and it needs to be louder.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom