The learning to play for real thread

Next student concert is at the end of March, so in the last lesson before Christmas I started learning Wishing Well by Free.

Granted it’s not the most difficult song in the world, but I’ve actually learnt it all the way through, memorised it and can happily play along with the record.

The quickest, I’ve ever learnt a song! Either I’m getting better or, as I think it was Christian said, learning songs to perform is easier than just trying to learn them.

So my first seven years of guitar playing, I didn’t manage to learn any songs all the way through, lots of bits and pieces but no complete songs, but in the last year, since I’ve been learning to actually perform them, I’ve managed three! The latest one in record (for me!) time. Well happy with that.

This time last year, I was happy noodling around at home never thinking I’d actually play live. Glad my tutor pushed me into it, it’s definitely bought my playing and more importantly my ability to learn and remember songs along in leaps and bounds.

Next student concert is at the end of March, so in the last lesson before Christmas I started learning Wishing Well by Free.

Granted it’s not the most difficult song in the world, but I’ve actually learnt it all the way through, memorised it and can happily play along with the record.

The quickest, I’ve ever learnt a song! Either I’m getting better or, as I think it was Christian said, learning songs to perform is easier than just trying to learn them.

So my first seven years of guitar playing, I didn’t manage to learn any songs all the way through, lots of bits and pieces but no complete songs, but in the last year, since I’ve been learning to actually perform them, I’ve managed three! The latest one in record (for me!) time. Well happy with that.

This time last year, I was happy noodling around at home never thinking I’d actually play live. Glad my tutor pushed me into it, it’s definitely bought my playing and more importantly my ability to learn and remember songs along in leaps and bounds.
You could always add a couple of licks from the Gary Moore version :D

Didn’t even know there was a Gary Moore version :D

Off to check it out.

Yeah, I think I might just be sticking to the easy version for now :rotfl:

Last edited:

We used to often knock out the starting riff of Wishing Well while warming up for practice! Good luck with it.

On a roll now. All Right Now learnt in three days, good enough to play rhythm along with the record at least.

Of course it helps that there’s pretty much only three bits to learn, which repeat all through the song :D

On a roll now. All Right Now learnt in three days, good enough to play rhythm along with the record at least.

Of course it helps that there’s pretty much only three bits to learn, which repeat all through the song :D

I learnt All Right Now, to play in group, from Rocksmith. I could play it, but much better sound from using 'Rock A' (pinky on 5th fret 1st two strings and barre on 2nd)

Yeah, the Lead path uses extra two strings on the 5th, rhythm just uses normal A.

Will try it with the other A next time.

I remember when we first started after RB, we tried to learn All Right Now, wasn’t it from those video lessons that I found somewhere? Wasn’t it V Guitar Lessons or something? That big A was way too much of a stretch back then:laugh:

At least it’s manageable now :)

Yeah, the Lead path uses extra two strings on the 5th, rhythm just uses normal A.

Will try it with the other A next time.

I remember when we first started after RB, we tried to learn All Right Now, wasn’t it from those video lessons that I found somewhere? Wasn’t it V Guitar Lessons or something? That big A was way too much of a stretch back then:laugh:

At least it’s manageable now :)

Yeah vGuitar was good.

Especially for ARNow first crunching chord, it has a much fuller sound.

Must have another look at those V Guitar lessons, I reckon a lot of them should be a lot more manageable now.

Had a practice tonight of my solo set: Going to do mostly covers, but will sneak one or maybe two originals in. Hardest thing is remembering the words (of the covers, not mine :D), so might have to print some lyrics or at least some 'key words' to prompt me. Either that or each song will have 3 x the first verse. :laugh:

Otherwise it's quite liberating not having to fit in with other players, so if I add an extra bar in, then at least no one else will be affected. I'm using my Tele and the one-knob Champ clone, so all very bare bones, but it makes me play some songs differently as I have to strip them down.

Fingers crossed I get a slot tomorrow night as I didn't want to pre-book incase my cold hadn't cleared. If not there are others coming up soon. :)

Good luck, hope it goes (or went) well. Only time I've played solo was GCSE and A-Level where we had to do a number of solo and group performances infront of other schools or events.

Found it more nerve racking on my own, wasn't singing though, that seems even more terrifying.

What type of songs are you playing? Guessing bluesy/rock chord songs work better solo than single note metal riffs chugging the low E:D.

It was full (should have messaged the organiser beforehand to book a slot :rolleyes: ) and since my mates couldn't go I didn't bother going down just to watch, so I've been watching the live stream on and off tonight. There are some other ones coming up, another one next week, so will make sure I book a slot and use the same rehearsed set list.

I was going to do a bit of a range of different styles: Rocket Man in a sort of fingerpicked/Hendrix influenced style, an original of mine, Bohemian like you closer to the original and Message in a bottle cutting out the fiddly riff apart from the start and making it more punky. It's hard to play 4 songs with a Tele and simple amp and not sound too similar, but I think I got them sounding a bit different to the usual 'singy, singy/strum strum' open mic style.

It's a Facebook page, but I only got on it via invite, so I don't know if a link will work. I can certainly try next time (this one is once per month). :)

Actually, see if this works:

It's finished now, but see if you can watch the video. Then I can give the time stamps when I play next time. :smashin:

Last edited:
Managed to get a slot tonight and did a 5 song set: Rocket Man, Get it on, an original song, Bohemian like you & finished with Message in a bottle. Seemed to go down well, no major mistakes that I couldn't cover up by doing and extra riff or whatever (joys of playing solo I guess). Of course I'm now itching to play the next one, now I've got out alone again. :D

5 watt Champ clone and my Les Paul P90 straight into the amp. I took my Tube Screamer as I wasn't sure if I'd need to turn the amp down below break up level, but I was able to crank it up and it sounded great. Rolled back the volume on the guitar for some cleaner bits.
The Prince 1.jpg

The Prince 2.jpg

I'm getting a taste for this open mic stuff. :) Did a different venue/organiser tonight, changed the set list a bit (for the benefit of my mates who kindly came along again). The crowd was joining in on the last song; Message in a bottle, which felt great.

It's surprising how different each one is; this was more intimate than last weeks and had more of an acoustic/folk feel. I almost felt I had to apologise for bringing an electric guitar, but for the last song I asked if they wanted the gentle or the punked up version and they asked for punked..

The lighting was a bit funky, but here's a photo...yes, the same old Gold Top and Champ combo, with the wireless 'Muslady' adding a bit of modern tech to the proceedings. Just makes it easier to not worry about catching a cable on something.

.Simon 1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one mate, great to hear it went well! :thumbsup:

I gather Randy Rhoads used a Les Paul and a Fender champ to get the gig with Ozzy, so you are in good company.

Thanks Christian, I'm loving it. I've got a slot tomorrow now at the place I first started with my rock college friends. Had a practice tonight for some other songs as I don't want to repeat my set too much (might just stick another one of my own in though as it seemed to go down well).

The Champ really does work well in these smaller pub venues. I just set it to 7-8 and roll back my guitar volumes to 5 and get a mostly clean tone, that just breaks up a bit if I hit it hard. For the last song I asked if they wanted a gentle or 'punk' version and they asked for punk. :smashin: I turned up the bridge volume full and it just roared. :)

My cortisone injection seems to have worked well and I have 95% movement back in my ring finger already. Started playing again in small spurts but taking it easy and avoiding bends.

Now money is coming in again wondering if I may look for another tutor to see if I can finally get my grade 5. Both kids are zooming through their new drum grade (3/4) so will probably be ready in next few months at the rate they are going.

That's good news Christian; I've had silly issues that stop me playing for a day or day and that's bad enough. Maybe I ought to look at doing the grades to try to understand the theory side: I played one of my own songs this week and realised I don't even know what key it is in. :blush:

My cortisone injection seems to have worked well and I have 95% movement back in my ring finger already. Started playing again in small spurts but taking it easy and avoiding bends.

Now money is coming in again wondering if I may look for another tutor to see if I can finally get my grade 5. Both kids are zooming through their new drum grade (3/4) so will probably be ready in next few months at the rate they are going.
I can't remember if I mentioned before, but I recommend the Digi-Flex hand/finger trainers if you're needing to recover movement and strength.

Thanks, may work for what I need I'll give it ago.

I actually have one that I bought over in the states when they were first launched in the late 80s. Just pulled it out and it still looks like new :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom