The Learning ... Equipment thread!

Really sorry to hear it Jon I know how much you love that guitar :(

Congrats on the new guitar Bilbo. Look forward to the pics and rundown, bet it's a complete metal monster through that ID of yours :thumbsup:

Really sorry to hear it Jon I know how much you love that guitar :(

Congrats on the new guitar Bilbo. Look forward to the pics and rundown, bet it's a complete metal monster through that ID of yours :thumbsup:

Thanks C. Somewhat bizarrely, it lends itself really well to finger-picking :laugh:

[EDIT] Andrew check out the Andertons review of the Mesa Cab modeller. They hated it, even got the Mesa engineer back who couldn't make it sound better. Check out the Epsi and Torpedo they are another world of good. :)

LOL! Both videos are gone now and just the message from Andertons is left...guess that is what happens when you do a bad review. Must have been threatened with losing their Mesa license

LOL! Both videos are gone now and just the message from Andertons is left...guess that is what happens when you do a bad review. Must have been threatened with losing their Mesa license

Total Guitar loved it and theirs stays! Bit cynical aren't we?:rotfl::rotfl:

The Mesa engineer came in to show them that they had reviewed it incorrectly. His assertion was they had used two microphones and the Cab modeller was only designed to model a SM57. So Andertons set up an amp with a single SM57 to compare.

The cab modeller sounded dead and lifeless like someone had thrown a blanket over the amp. He kept insisting it was no different, Chappers just bit his lip and Lee was desperately trying to put a good spin on it :)

Check out the Epsi and the Torpedo:

I know it's only an Epiphone
I used to think a bit like that until I got my Rosso Corsa! It's a great guitar.
Jon, you could console yourself with the PRS reviewed in latest Guitarist mag:D
Yeah, I read through all of that stuff. They look nice! I have to wait and see how much profit I made last year first.

This is the ding that I noticed, on the top right of the photo:
20150210_000343a.jpg

And then while taking this photo I noticed the following, on the lower horn:
20150210_000514a.jpg

No idea how that happened either, really. I wonder whether something happened while I was away. Not happy!

That looks worse than I was expecting, Jon. Not good at all mate. I'd be seriously peeved too.

Do you think something else has happened to it. Seems like some serious damage just from one battery flying across the room.

Are you going to see if you can get it repaired?

Difficult to say. I really don't know what happened - the battery thing was just the only explanation I could think of, but it seems even more farfetched to think that it ricocheted off once, bounced off a wall and then hit the guitar again. I'm not aware of having bashed the guitar myself, certainly not to do something like that.

I will probably try to get it repaired at some stage, but not immediately. I will have a little search around to see if I can find a decent luthier anywhere around here, and I might also drop World Guitars a line and see if they do repairs, or if they can recommend someone, since they are a big PRS dealer.

Let's hope the rest of this week brings better news somehow! At least I had a good game of squash today (need to do that a few hundred times to lose weight too!).

Sorry to see that Jon. There are 3 types of ding. The ones you do yourself (the easiest to get over), the ones other people do, and the new the ones that mysteriously appear without any explanation (my Rosso Corsa ding that I moved from the latter to blaming on someone else...my daughter!).

The one on the top doesn't look to bad and I would probably leave that alone. The one on the horn doesn't look great as it is down to the bare wood. Is it a nitro finish Jon? Might be repairable but just be worth leaving. If you read other guitar forums your guitar now has mojo. Doesn't make it less of a bitter pill. But hey, the first cut is always the deepest.

I don't know if it's nitro or not - I'd rather leave any possible repairs to someone who really knows what they're doing.

I decided this morning to pull the trigger on the Victory V40H. It's a bit sooner than I really wanted, but I've been watching the exchange rates, and with all the talk of the Greeks leaving the Euro, it looks like the exchange rate is only going to get worse and worse for me. According to Google's currency conversion, the Victory will already cost me €2 more today than it would have yesterday, and I would feel a bit stupid if in a month's time it cost €100 more.

The bad news is that it will again arrive at an inconvenient time and be a pain with delivery. The good news is that I'll undoubtedly do at least one video of it on Youtube. The next bad news is that someone will probably tell me it's very boring, like my pedal video. The other good news is that I think it's a great sounding amp that will complement my DT25.

I've also recorded the main video & audio for two new videos, which are the speaker comparisons between my DT25 and the HB cab, and the Laney Cub 10 and the HB cab. I probably won't do any speaking myself on these videos but will just make them very short demos, flipping between the two speakers and with some captions to explain what's going on. I aim to get one of them uploaded by the weekend.

No matter how good/professional/entertaining your videos may or may not be, there are always going to be be people telling you they're rubbish/boring or wrong, so best just to ignore negative comments, unless they're actually constructive.

I've not watched any of them yet, mainly because I can't watch them from work and I rarely find time when I'm not doing something else at home to watch anything on youtube that lasts more than a couple of minutes long.

Will make a point of looking at your next one though, as I'll be interested to hear the DT25 stuff.

Yes, there are always a few trolls around.

Feel free not to watch the videos! :) I'm not expecting anybody to watch if they aren't especially interested. Spoiler for the DT25 / HB cab video - they sound very similar, maybe one is a little more trebly than the other but there's not much in it. There was a lot more difference with the Laney, as you'd expect - more volume, more bass, generally a better sound (although the Laney on its own wasn't bad).

Just as well, as I've got no room for a cab anyway :)

I don't know if it's nitro or not - I'd rather leave any possible repairs to someone who really knows what they're doing.

Not suggesting you do the repairs for one minute. Definitely get a pro involved if you do decide to repair. All I was thinking was that if nitro then it might be easier, or possible. If poly then probably not.

If it's nitro it will smell delicious.

And then while taking this photo I noticed the following, on the lower horn:
View attachment 555964

No idea how that happened either, really. I wonder whether something happened while I was away. Not happy!

2nd picture, gash bottom right but what's that 'black hole' top left?
Who was at home while you away? Partner? Anyone else with key visit who could have knocked?
Sure doggy came with you?

2nd picture, gash bottom right but what's that 'black hole' top left?
Who was at home while you away? Partner? Anyone else with key visit who could have knocked?
Sure doggy came with you?
I think the 'black hole' is just a reflection.

Who was at home? Girlfriend, cleaner comes once a week...that's about it, really. It hangs too high for the dog to knock it, and I haven't found it knocked over or anything. It's a mystery, and a bit of a worrying one.

I think the 'black hole' is just a reflection.

That's a relief! First of all I thought Ethernet socket, then remembered it isn't a Variax:)

Check out the Epsi and the Torpedo:

Torpedo sounds really good, but not sure any of us need cabs simulation that you don't own.
The JMD cab emulation does a good job, but I think I prefer having Zoom's mic in front so as hearing from Marshall cab. Which do you prefer, direct connection or boss in front?

Just my £00.02.

Guitars are meant to be used and played which means they get handled and moved etc which also means they are prone to a few knocks along the way. Impossible not to, over the years. Both my blade from '91 and rg from '96 show some small dings, but jeez have they got some enjoyable hours on the clock.

Basically, if you don't want dings, keep 'em behind a glass case or up in the attic.

Like I say, just my view. YMMV

Ps, it get easier after the first one:):)

Basically, if you don't want dings, keep 'em behind a glass case or up in the attic.
I can agree with you up to a point but I don't take my guitars out to gigs or anything and these two dings are quite bad and quite inexplicable. I could understand it if I knew I'd bashed the guitar, but (a) I haven't, (b) I don't know how they happened, and (c) it's by far my most expensive guitar.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell upon this so I'd rather we just drew a line under it and moved on to something else lest I get properly peeved about it! Cheers, chaps.

I can agree with you up to a point but I don't take my guitars out to gigs or anything and these two dings are quite bad and quite inexplicable. I could understand it if I knew I'd bashed the guitar, but (a) I haven't, (b) I don't know how they happened, and (c) it's by far my most expensive guitar.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell upon this so I'd rather we just drew a line under it and moved on to something else lest I get properly peeved about it! Cheers, chaps.
Insert cute kitten photo :)

Torpedo sounds really good, but not sure any of us need cabs simulation that you don't own.
The JMD cab emulation does a good job, but I think I prefer having Zoom's mic in front so as hearing from Marshall cab. Which do you prefer, direct connection or boss in front?

Probably the HD500 as I find all the other methods a bit like hard work. Did I mention I'm lazy :D

The Boss you are battling against noise and clipping. It works well enough for trying things out, but from what I've seen you need two mic positions to get really professional results. Which is too much like hard work.

You can get some good results with the JMD, but it can also sound pretty flat or digital. The likes of the torpedo are quite a appealing as you can crank a valve pre-amp without the volume. It's a good sign of things to come as I'm sure this and the kemper style modelling will filter down into lower priced gear. Like the guy says in the vid impulse based modelling was pro level until fairly recently.

Saying all that, I plugged garageband in with a standard irig and was happy enough playing Jonny B Goode the other day. :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom