1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The LCD Panel PC Connection Overview Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by daxie, Oct 21, 2005.

1. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here you should post confirmed VGA/DVI-DVI/DVI-HDMI PC-LCD Connections and at which resolution.

Also if any special "tricks" (powerstrip,...) are needed, you can provide a link to the post in which it is explained.

Please PM me if you want something edited...
    Possibilities
    * N/A (not available, meaning there is for example no VGA input at the LCD)
    * 1:1 (meaning 1360x768 or 1366x768, please state which and if any borders)
    * Other res - Screen filled, Original AR (Meaning a custom resolution, but screen is filled, and aspect ratio is not off, thus no stretching, also please state res)
    * Other res - Screen filled, Wrong AR (Meaning a custom resolution, screen filled, and AR ratio is off due to stretching, also please state res)
    * Other res - Screen not filled, Original AR (Custom resolution, no screen fill, AR Ok)

Connection wise possibilities are:
    VGA-VGA
    DVI-DVI
    DVI-HDMI

(I would rule out s-video or composite for quality purposes).

Last two will probably be those that are mentioned in the manual for a lot of screens. So it might be easier to just state "as in manual".

Main purpose of this thread is to make a clear overview which screens allow full screen pc view without wrong AR, and in particular 1:1, since those are most asked after.

Also state which OS, Video Card, Video Card Drivers you're using.

To the mods: I have hopes this would become a great topic, but it can only become that if it is kept fully clean, meaning only proper format. Could you please see to it?

I'll give a fictive example:
    SuperLCD Sphexos 32
    VGA-VGA: 1:1, 1360x768, slight border left right
    DVI-HDMI: 1280x720, AR OK, slight overscan left right
    DVI-HDMI: Full screen, AR Stretched, as in manual
    Vid Card/Drivers: ATI Radeon X800, Catalyst 5.7
    How to obtain: Fictive link

Please keep discussion about these settings and how to obtain them in seperate topics, please!

2. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noone caring to post this? It takes 1 min and helps a lot of people.

3. Satmaster

Satmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic TXD 26LXD500

VGA:VGA 1360 768 borders poor image quality, sync and colour corruption
    DVI-HDMI stretched 1280 720 over saturated ok for games...just
    Not recommended. Nvidia 7800GTX ok ATI X800 blurred all drivers

Loewe Xelos A32
    VGA:VGA 1360 768 Complete fit superb image quality colours and synch.
    DVI:VGA 1360 768 As above
    DVI:HDMI Upscaled but superb for DVDs and Games also can read all bios info and install windows in this mode.

Nvidia and ATI cards both working.

I will write a review of both shortly as I have had the two for over a week.

4. OMA

OMA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Satmaster, how did you get to 1360x768 resolution in the Xelos A32 with VGA? (I only get a black screen when switching to that resolution at 60 Hz). Did you use Powerstrip?. If you did, could you tell me the specific settings you used?.

With DVI to HDMI I can't get any image at any resolution (in fact, I can't even see the first text-only screens before Windows starts). What kind of cable did you use?. Mine is a DVI-D (digital only) to HDMI cable, I can't see anything, so I only use VGA, in which I can get at least a 1280x720 resolution.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

5. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    TEVION 32" LCD :suicide:

XP Home SP2 with both 9800se aiw and 9500Pro

VGA 1360x768x60Hz (TV set up width and horizontal position changes)
    VGA 1366x768x60Hz (TV set up width and horizontal position changes)
    VGA 1024x768x60Hz (TV stretches to fit OK for games)

Note uses DVI-A for VGA

Both have slight shimmering, colours & Video very good, NOT pixel perfect for browsing or DTP (very close, but every 7 to 10 character steps off pixel "grid"). On 9500Pro monitor boots ok, but on 9800se aiw need to hotswap if using VGA.

DVI 1360x768x60Hz (TV set up width and horizontal position changes)
    DVI 1366x768x60Hz (TV set up width and horizontal position changes)
    DVI 1024x768x60Hz (TV stretches to fit OK for games)

No shimmering on DVI, colours & Video very good, NOT pixel perfect for browsing or DTP (very close, but every 7 to 10 character steps off pixel "grid").

No hot swapping issues with DVI, PQ slight better as no shimmering.

I have 2 PC's connected 9500Pro via VGA and 9800se aiw via DVI using DVI-I splitter cable.

Latest Ati drivers, 720p cinema mode possible on DVI-Video TV setting, overscan adjusted using 1240x700.

I have previously tried powerstrip (attempted 50Hz resolutions) but these resolutions are achieved with std drivers.

HD films look unbelieveably good, but you can say that about most HD TV's.

6. jamesf303

jamesf303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Any news of success with JVC LT26DS6 or Toshiba 27WL56 for 1-2-1 (or close to - i.e. with bars not stretching) at native resolution.

Thanks in advance...

7. jamesf303

jamesf303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Freshcheese said this on another similar thread that I started:

The LG 26lx2r will do 1360x768 over DVI-D with 1:1 mapping - you get a three pixel wide blank row at either side of the screen that's not at all noticable.

I have a PVR box connected to mine doing just this, running Windows Media Center 2005 with a DVB-T card and output via an Nvidia fx5200, and the picture is very good.

In theory you could connect to the HDMI input on this set too, but I get some sparkly pixels doing that. The HDMI input works fine for a DVD player with 720p output though.

Also, if you are thinking of buying one of these, get it from somewhere you can easily do an exchange with - I'm on my third now, which is also faulty.

FYI the other thread is: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259211

8. jamesf303

jamesf303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any one got any further info - it would really help quite a lot of others on the forum.

Thanks in advance...

9. jamesf303

jamesf303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    BUMP. Any other help would be appreciated.

10. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG 32LP1D

DVI-DVI 1360x768x60Hz, 1:1 (3 black pixels on both sides - not noticeable).
    Card: HIS IceQ 9800pro (ATI)
    Drivers: Catalyst, with Powerstrip to add the resolution.
    No blurring, artefacts or color issues. It behaves as if you'd expect a PC LCD monitor to behave. Good stuff, if expensive.

Obtain: http://www.askdirect.co.uk/ (has showroom in london) for about £1350

11. Mark_J

Mark_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG RZ-32LZ50

GFX Card: ATI Radeon 9550

VGA - DVI (using ATI bundled VGA-DVI connector)
    1360x768 perfect fit (no noticable side borders) perfect picture
    Various other resolutions all seem to fit the screen perfect, no borders noticed.

DVI - DVI
    Wil post results when DVI-I cable arrives

Note: originally tested the pc with a DVI-D cable but could not get it to work, as from looking about, the TV only accepts DVI-A for the pc. (was tested with a GeForce 6200 (which was faulty so possibly also causing the DVI not to work also)

12. jamesf303

jamesf303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks. Seems like LG could be the way to go for PC connectivity. Does anyone have experience with non LG sets?

13. Tokyo_Postcode

Tokyo_Postcode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung LE26R51BD (1366x768)

VGA - VGA 1:1, 1360x768, slight border left right (i.e 3 pixels either side - unnoticeable unless u look for it)
    DVI - HDMI Not tested but reportedly worse than VGA due to overscan

WinXP Pro / ATI X800 XT PE / Catalyst 5.9

All I can say is that this Samsung is perfect for PC use. I hooked it up to my PC which automatically recognised it and automatically set the resolution as above. No Powerstrip required or any other tweaks. The set also has an auto-adjust feature for correct horizontal / vertical positioning which works well (as well as standard manual controls).

The VGA picture quality is outstanding and there are absolutely no blurring / tearing / ghosting issues when gaming.

Recommended.

14. kgreene

kgreene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hats off to Daxie for starting such a great thread :thumbsup:

I have same requirements - anyone checked out the Philips (32 or 37) PF9830 or the Panasonic TX32LXD500-HD.
    Ideally DVI at 1360 or 1366 X 768? and preferrably at 50Hz.

thanks
    (ps I'll delete this post in a day or two to keep it tidy)

15. Satmaster

Satmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have given a brief view on the Panasonic above, but the forums are full of Panny experts who want to disagree with me. As a TV its fine, not as great as others will have you believe. The Loewe Xelos with chassis version L2650 (Important) will do a spot on 1360 x 768 on VGA and will scale anything from my pc over HDMI, important if you plan on installing windows on it. As far as I know the Loewe is one of the view panels to support 50HZ and 60HZ.

16. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Satmaster - only 5 posts and everyone a panny basher?

Do you still have the panny? i'm very interested in getting one but the pc connectivity is very important to me. If it was poor it would put me right off. Have you compared any other popular lcds? Samsung or philips etc?

17. stegve

stegve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had any luck connecting a pc to a JVC Lt32ds6bj in the hdmi input?
    I have a geforce 7800 dvi out and the relevant cable but the image is unstable, cuts out altogether.. what res / frequency?
    Does anyone know about advanced timings, EIA-861B and all that? Do I need to ??

18. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Sharp LCM3700

Mac Mini with Mac OSX 10.3.9

G-Card: Radeon 9200

DVI-D @ 1360x768 (3pixel black border to the left and right of the desktop, perfect fit for height)

19. Akcron

Akcron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PC connected thru vga from a nvidia fx5200 running nvidia 77.79 drivers,@1360-768
    from what i can see 1/1 mapping on windows and games,no borders on both.. text can be a little soft( could be my craphics card pushing it at this rez ) and depending on web site ..on this one very crisp..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/akcron/27wl56/hifi014.jpg
    sorry about the bad photo Akky :thumbsup:

20. Satmaster

Satmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont mean to sound like a Panny basher, I actually chose the Panny myself after seeing one in the flesh showing DVB while out installing, was very impressed with it as a TV, especially with the crappy freeview quality. Came in to the forums and did some heavy research, it seemed to offer everything I wanted in a HTPC screen. Unfortunately on PC input it is to my eyes pretty poor. On returning it to my local store I was offered a refund as they agreed with me after lugging my PC in and trying it on the 26 inch version also. Then they said try it on this Loewe weve just had in just to see, I was blown away with it in both areas, TV and PC, but alas it was 350 quid more. So apologies for appearing to be a Panny basher, but just documenting my first hand experience with it as a HTPC screen, it can be a very expensive mistake to make, especially via mail order.

21. edwardcasbon

edwardcasbon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sandstheman, i have a mac mini and want to connect it up to an lcd tv. Did you have any problems connecting up? I heard that the mac mini output was dvi-i and people have had problems connecting it up and getting it to work? Did you have to buy/change anything? settings etc to get it to work?

Cheers,

Edward

22. filikindri

filikindri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loewe XELOS A37

vga: 800x600 1024x768 1280x720 1360x768. Good PQ.
    DVI-HDMI: 1280x720 50 HZ or 60HZ. Excellent PQ.

I've got an issue. Using dvi to HDMI, I can't use 1920x1080 (tried 25 and 30 hz). I get blank screen. I can't understand why. Satmaster said several moths ago it is possible. I use ATI radeon 9250. Powerstrip doesn't help.
    Neither 1360x768, via HDMI. The tv is supossed to support 1080i, but i'm not able to get it. :-(

Some advise????