1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The lazy way to get into HTPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PeteIvy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. PeteIvy

PeteIvy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi guys,
    I'm sat here, reading all about HTPC's and never been really bothered by it before as it just seems too much hassle. Anyway, I hooked the pc up to the projector tonight to see what all the fuss is about. Holy :censored: !!!! Ok so I now need another PC (the one I'm using needs to stay upstairs for her work!!), but can't be done with building one myself. Is there anywhere I can buy a pc (no monitor needed as I'll have my 104" screen :clap: ) that i have to make minimal changes to, so I can use it as an HTPC. Not got much of a budget I'm afraid, so just want to know roughly what needs to be spent?

PJ is a Panasonic AE700

Any help or recommendations will be very much appreciated!

Pete

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,481
    The elonex artisan seems to be flavour of the month (see seperate thread), depends what 'not got much of a budget' means though.

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Yuo will find the old buy her a new one for her work and you snaffle hers ploy a good way to raise the budget a bit. :D

4. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've bought both my HTPC machines from the Dell Outlet, my first HTPC ( Dell 8300 P4 2.6GHz 800Mhz FSB 512MB 120GB ) was less than £500 over a year ago and I've just bought a higher spec machine ( Dell 8400 P4 3.4GHz 400GB 1GB RAM PCI-e ) for just over £600 delivered. They make cracking starter systems with plenty of grunt, DVD drives and DVI out so you can start them up and use them as they are. You don't get a monitor, but then you don't need one.

You can then add things like the Gyration suite, a Nebula DigiTV card and a soundcard with S/PDIF out ( e.g. M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ) when the budget allows...

Cheers

Simon