The Lavender Hill Mob Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Jul 28, 2011.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +443
      Reviewed by Alan Paterson, 28th July 2011.
      The classic Ealing comedy ‘The Lavender Hill Mob’ breaks out on to UK Region free Blu-ray with a very good looking, digitally restored 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 transfer framed in the movie’s original 1.37:1 aspect ratio. The black-and-white image has excellent contrast and sharpness throughout while retaining a filmic feel. Only a couple of persistent tiny neg scratches on the far right of screen catch the eye along with the odd miniscule sparkly but the overall visual impression is very pleasing to watch. The LPCM 2.0 audio carries the cleaned up original mono mix nicely with crisp clear dialogue throughout, only marred with some noticeable ‘wow’ on the music in places. There’s no ‘Making of’ doco in the Extras but we do get a somewhat muffled audio interview with director Charles Crichton, a 25 minute TV interview with writer Tibby Clarke and a Restoration comparison that speaks volumes of the work undertaken to improve the High Def transfer.

The movie itself has immense charm as we see a lovable bunch of rogues carry out an audacious gold bullion robbery that we really hope will work. Alec Guiness, Stanley Holloway, Sid James and Alfie Bass together with a host of British post-war faces make this one to add to every movie buff’s collection.

Read the full review...

2. RichGK

RichGK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Being a massive fan of the Ealing comedies I was quite let down by the previous attempts to convert them to DVD which were quite poor with the examples I saw. I never buy films but I might just have to get this and hopefully The Ladykillers if it's released. I'm sure it will be.

This film always reminds me of rainy Sunday afternoons at my Grandparents. :)

3. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +83
      The Ladykillers is already out on UK Blu-ray:
      The Ladykillers Blu-ray | Zavvi.com

I reviewed the US version some time ago and it looked excellent.
      Although I haven't seen the UK version, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the same transfer.
      Alan