The Last of Us Part II Review & Comments

I personally couldn't imagine hearing someone else play Ellie other than Ashley Johnson, never mind what she looks like. Unless they dubbed Ashley Johnson over the top, but can't imagine that would work.

The betrayal is usually against yourself. What The Last of Us Part II accomplishes is being about an unravelling and finding of self by asking you to be truer to yourself and better; and better to each other, too.

I am still waiting for the right time to start new game plus. I am still letting my first experience settle down first. I thought I would not be able to or need to play it again but I think I will. I missed a lot of the safes too! And I played for over 42 hours.
Me too! At first I thought incredible game/experience but I wasn't sure if I would ever play it again. I think as I've processed it though over the past week or so I think I'll start new game plus at some point.

I personally couldn't imagine hearing someone else play Ellie other than Ashley Johnson, never mind what she looks like. Unless they dubbed Ashley Johnson over the top, but can't imagine that would work.
Same problem I'm finding with the idea of an Uncharted movie. Tom Holland as Nathan, geez.

I've started a New Game+. Even though I've only played it recently of course, there are a lot of things I'd forgotten already (maybe my memory is going!)

You certainly look at things in a different light with the knowledge of the 1st playthrough. Still just as impressive, if not more so.

Last edited:
Ellen Page is 33, youthful or not I don't think so 😆 Ashley Johnson is 36.

You definitely need someone younger to play a character that starts the story at 14. Maisie Williams maybe or Millie Bobby Brown.

I like the idea of Josh Brolin for Joel but also Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Karl Urban for me.

You certainly look at things in a different light with the knowledge of the 1st playthrough. Still just as impressive, if not more so.

Damn right - man, like I said my 42 hours game time was largely due to pouring over all the detail and labour of the game design. I have taken 3,419 photos so far. I often can't believe this game exists. I would often just stare out windows and soak up the Seattle rain and moisture, stare at a chair or wall. The textural and fine detail and lighting is the best I have seen. Or, I would often marvel at a blowing piece of cloth or swaying grass - I think the animation is a major achievement of this game. Or, zoom in as much on a mutated body to admire the detail in the gore.

I am looking forward to my second playthrough. Yes, I am interested to see how or if my interpretation changes. I had to psychologically and emotionally recuperate after my first play through. Stomaching certain scenes and moments I think may be just as hard for me as the first time, but I will see.

Same problem I'm finding with the idea of an Uncharted movie. Tom Holland as Nathan, geez.

Who said Tom Holland? Have you seen the fan film with Nathan Fillion as Drake? Still cheesy for me, but I admire the passion and effort very much.

Who said Tom Holland? Have you seen the fan film with Nathan Fillion as Drake? Still cheesy for me, but I admire the passion and effort very much.
Tom Holland is listed as Drake on imdb for the movie, along with Mark Wahlberg as Sully.

Me too! At first I thought incredible game/experience but I wasn't sure if I would ever play it again. I think as I've processed it though over the past week or so I think I'll start new game plus at some point.

Yes, I just got chills in my chest and back: there is something powerfully lasting about this game and discussing it is helping strengthen my belief in it even more. So, thank you all on here and for this thread. I already mentioned the catharsis and transformation I went from my first playthrough. And I now realise that his has made me stronger to withstand it a second time. It's like... this game was so alien to me in the sense that I found it so unpredictable and thus, organic. That is how it constantly pulled and tugged at my mind, heart, body and soul. Now, with a certain command, new understanding and tougher skin, I feel like I can come at it in a different way and perhaps it will come at me differently, too. I know that sounds a bit nebulous but I am freestyling a bit here and that is how I feel.

Tom Holland is listed as Drake on imdb for the movie, along with Mark Wahlberg as Sully.

Oh dear. Struggling to say I will reserve judgement! Ha ha.

If anyone here found TLOUII to be profound, impactful or transformative can you please tell me what, if any, other visual medium has affected and or effected you in a similar way? Or, has there been anything better for you? I am very curious.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that for me it would be The Wire which is my modern on screen Shakespeare. But even The Wire did not live with me and affect and effect me for as long as The Last of Us Part II has, thus far. Neither has any visual medium traumatised me before. Hence, it is my all time top most impactful experience of any visual medium. And I think it is my greatest ever game now. For about 22 years, and all time, it was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But I really think it is The Last of Us Part II now. The relevance of TLOUII alone from a human aspect makes me hold it higher. I feel I would be neglecting that if I were to hold Ocarina in first place. I could say both are my favourite games of all time of course.

Warm wishes to all

Maybe as young Nathan Drake, like in flashback scenes in Uncharted 4. But as the main man, just no. Nathan Fillian would have been perfect - 10-15 years ago - but now maybe Chris Pratt. Or the guy from Supernatural. Bradley Cooper maybe, but possibly getting too old now.

The casting listed on IMDB is horrific, for every role. Wahlberg is too young and still too main action hero to be Sully. Someone like Bryan Cranston would be much better. Or Woody Harrelson.

Tati Gabrielle and Sophia Ali are just all wrong for Elena and Chloe. Better choices would be Emily Rose, who actually voiced her, or Margot Robbie - just because! For Chloe maybe the actress who plays Yennefer in the Witcher or the

And if they have Cutter and Marlowe then that's Jason Statham and Helen Mirren.

If anyone here found TLOUII to be profound, impactful or transformative can you please tell me what, if any, other visual medium has affected and or effected you in a similar way? Or, has there been anything better for you? I am very curious.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that for me it would be The Wire which is my modern on screen Shakespeare. But even The Wire did not live with me and affect and effect me for as long as The Last of Us Part II has, thus far. Neither has any visual medium traumatised me before. Hence, it is my all time top most impactful experience of any visual medium. And I think it is my greatest ever game now. For about 22 years, and all time, it was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But I really think it is The Last of Us Part II now. The relevance of TLOUII alone from a human aspect makes me hold it higher. I feel I would be neglecting that if I were to hold Ocarina in first place. I could say both are my favourite games of all time of course.

Warm wishes to all
A few entries of the top of my head - Last of Us Pt1 (unsurprisingly), To the Moon (Freebird games), Journey (after I discovered what was really going on), and perhaps somewhat weirdly! Nier Automata. There are definitely more on the list though - certainly several JRPGs at one point or another.

A few entries of the top of my head - Last of Us Pt1 (unsurprisingly), To the Moon (Freebird games), Journey (after I discovered what was really going on), and perhaps somewhat weirdly! Nier Automata. There are definitely more on the list though - certainly several JRPGs at one point or another.

Beautiful. I did not finish the Journey demo. I think my own pessimism and pre-conceived notions stopped me from going further. I loved Flower and its message, though. I still need to play Nier and I know someone who it profoundly impacted, too. I will check out To the Moon. There is another one, a pixel art game about depression, I forget the name, but I may play it some time.

Warm wishes to all

the recent Joker effected me emotionally the same way LOU2 has...and both are very relevant in the wake of a pandemic and deadly virus on the loose, the massive increase in violence ... people feeling isolated, alienated and got to a point that there tired of life or the system beating them down, and had a reaction...

no video game has come close to the emotional impact this game has, not that i have played anyway... i've completed the game, so i'm going back in to get the plat now.

the recent Joker effected me emotionally the same way LOU2 has...and both are very relevant in the wake of a pandemic and deadly virus on the loose, the massive increase in violence ... people feeling isolated, alienated and got to a point that there tired of life or the system beating them down, and had a reaction...

Yes, I agree. I sighted Joker too, in my earlier in depth post on here. That actually did traumatise me, too. I stayed thinking about it for weeks. Joker did change me.

no video game has come close to the emotional impact this game has, not that i have played anyway... i've completed the game, so i'm going back in to get the plat now.

I feel you. Nothing comes close for me either. I sit here as I type this acknowledging this and shaking my head. Often time, I find this game beyond words.

You definitely need someone younger to play a character that starts the story at 14. Maisie Williams maybe or Millie Bobby Brown.

Near the end of LoU2 when Ellie was maybe 21 (?), I thought she looked a bit Emma Watson-ish. Emma Watson's probably at an age where she could get away with playing LoU2 Ellie but there's no way she would do it. Millie Bobby Brown would work for LoU and LoU2 as she's 16 and she'd obviously be older by the time they got round to the LoU2 stuff

Edit: at 18 Sophia Lillis might be slightly too old to play Ellie but she does look a little like her. She always has short hair though so it's a bit difficult trying to imagine her with any of Ellies hair styles. She played young Beverly in the recent 'It' films and was also in ' I'm Not OK With This ' on netflix

Last edited:

I think after game of thrones, maisie Williams would have the necessary grit, shown by ellie, and ironically had the same sort of character arc, innocent, then becomes hardened. I've been watching some of the stop motion work used in the game, and watching ashley johnson playing the guitar..ive been told there's 11 hours of cut scenes, out there that can be watched like a movie, tons of course never made it into the game after the editing. But lots of times I felt like as i was watching a movie, also in the movie!

Last edited:
I think after game of thrones, maisie Williams would have the necessary grit, shown by ellie, and ironically had the same sort of character arc, innocent, then becomes hardened. I've been watching some of the stop motion work used in the game, and watching ashley johnson playing the guitar..ive been told there's 11 hours of cut scenes, out there that be watched like a movie, tons of course never made it into the game after the editing.

Awesome. I am looking forward to the behind the scenes, too. Made me think of all hose hours cut from The Last of the Mohicans. I would love an extended cut.

But lots of times I felt like as i was watching a movie, also in the movie!

Below is one of the 3,419 photos I took from my first playthrough. No edits. An f'ing marvel. The Last of Us Part II is the most photo-real game I have ever had the pleasure of playing. When you think of the fact that almost all of the game is set the under natural, indirect light source of the sun or moon (much harder to render and make look believable than direct/ electric light sources), its crazy. And on top of that, everything is running on 8 year old hardware. This makes the game a major accomplished visually. Naughty Dog are miracle workers. Imagine what they could achieve at the tail end of the PS5s life.

The Last of Us™ Part II_20200623230658.jpg

Last edited:
also the environment was pretty much next gen and very photo realistic at times...God I love this game..and i get it...I really do. Game + here we go

I keep hesitating to start game + myself. Not ready. I have been unable to play any other game since completing TLOUII the first time.

I can't believe I did not shout out the sound design - my word. It has the elements of some of my favourite scores and composers. Did anyone else get strong Carpenter vibes from that
deep, pulsing bass that plays when Ellie goes into hunter-survivor mode? It works so well because it is so visceral and raw; it really puts me into her mind-state. There is also that sequence of piercing rising notes that pitch bend at the end, so good
The Seattle rain is just glorious too in 7.1. I wish this game had Atmos, and that more games used it. I would have loved a collector's/ limited edition (that was not sold out!) that had a physical CD soundtrack to honour the sound in the game. It is always almost a digital download these days.

Aside, I am a bit worried about the lack of Atmos support out box - apparently - with the PS5. It has UHD support so I thought it would support Atmos. I heard and read that Sony are pushing their own 3D audio technology.

Aside, I am a bit worried about the lack of Atmos support out box - apparently - with the PS5. It has UHD support so I thought it would support Atmos. I heard and read that Sony are pushing their own 3D audio technology.

Yes, they’re making a big deal about 3D audio on PS5.

Yes, they’re making a big deal about 3D audio on PS5.

Thank you, I just read the article. I am still concerned how Future Engine plays out for folks like myself with dedicated surround sound systems. I understand - and heard in the Unreal Engine 5 demonstration, though it sounded hyper-real to me and rather over-processed, hopefully not and or this will grow better over time as Cerny says in the article - that audio will sound more realistic. But for me if you want sound from a specific location, you put the source of that sound in that location, hence surround sound speaker placement in an ideal set up. The custom architecture sounds great though for those without such setups as I always feel they are missing out on a better experience. But how will this trickery work with setups like mine? I assume as normal, but hopefully more realistic has Cerny promises. That said, realism is the hallmark of great audio and something I personally strive for in my home cinema. The innovations in audio here from Sony are great to see and the sort of thing that can help advance technology.

Yes, I just got chills in my chest and back: there is something powerfully lasting about this game and discussing it is helping strengthen my belief in it even more. So, thank you all on here and for this thread. I already mentioned the catharsis and transformation I went from my first playthrough. And I now realise that his has made me stronger to withstand it a second time. It's like... this game was so alien to me in the sense that I found it so unpredictable and thus, organic. That is how it constantly pulled and tugged at my mind, heart, body and soul. Now, with a certain command, new understanding and tougher skin, I feel like I can come at it in a different way and perhaps it will come at me differently, too. I know that sounds a bit nebulous but I am freestyling a bit here and that is how I feel.

Deleted due to incompetence 👍

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom