The Last of Us Part II Review & Comments

Just arrived and just moving and dealing a few things from 500GB storage (this is one thing I will look forward to a larger hard drive on the PS5).

This will keep me busy for the next few days at least.

Last edited:
The consensus on it being unrelentingly dark is my only hesitation. Ellie's innocence and optimism in the first was a nice counterpoint to Joel's dour survivalism.

I'm just now playing A Plague Tale: Innocence and the bleakness and psychological brutality of the first few chapters was a little hard to stomach at times.

I loved Plague Tale and only bought initially as it was heavily reduced. I like horror/action games anyway.

Just noticed mine has been marked as undeliverable on Royal Mail tracking. Well there goes my plans for tonight!

Just noticed mine has been marked as undeliverable on Royal Mail tracking. Well there goes my plans for tonight!

I want to go out but not risking missing post as its a Royal Mail Tracked so doubt they will just put through letterbox.

Well I am only a few mins in and it looks absolutely stunning. We are in for a treat when the PS5 lands. Now back to the game.

I make a post questioning the integrity of the review and it gets deleted. Sounds about right...

why would you question the integrity of the review when its the reviewers personal opinion and going by the massive amount of positive reviews, seems to be on par with what everyone else thought about the game, i didnt find any fault in the review

Well I am only a few mins in and it looks absolutely stunning. We are in for a treat when the PS5 lands. Now back to the game.

Really looking forward to see how graphics on my 55" LG OLED hold up against best my RTX 2080Ti can deliver.

Also, might have to play this with my Audeze Mobius 7.1 headphones over my 2.1 KEF LSX with this game.

I make a post questioning the integrity of the review and it gets deleted. Sounds about right...

It was more than likely down to the spoilers you openly posted and that you have not played the game but just skimmed through 5 hours of Youtube gameplay.

AVF has some of the best etiquette when it comes to Spoilers and you chose to ignore that so I for one am happy for others that it was deleted.

I'm no fan of the reviews on this site but what you posted should of been deleted imo and looks like the Mods and Staff thought the same.

why would you question the integrity of the review when its the reviewers personal opinion and going by the massive amount of positive reviews, seems to be on par with what everyone else thought about the game, i didnt find any fault in the review

Well, evidently I cant elaborate. I didnt question how good the game is, as such, I just feel that - like with many other critic reviews - there's something else afoot. What shortcomings the game DOES have aren't really being touched upon. Anyway, it doesnt look like I'm allowed to quantify that opinion...

It was more than likely down to the spoilers you openly posted and that you have not played the game but just skimmed through 5 hours of Youtube gameplay.

AVF has some of the best etiquette when it comes to Spoilers and you chose to ignore that so I for one am happy for others that it was deleted.

I'm no fan of the reviews on this site but what you posted should of been deleted imo and looks like the Mods and Staff thought the same.

I cant argue with that. I concede there was a somewhat vague spoiler in there...

You made a post with spoilers in it which someone complained about in the following post, so it got deleted.
Well, evidently I cant elaborate. I didnt question how good the game is, as such, I just feel that - like with many other critic reviews - there's something else afoot. What shortcomings the game DOES have aren't really being touched upon. Anyway, it doesnt look like I'm allowed to quantify that opinion...
You can elaborate if you can do it without spoiling.
You can drop your silly conspiracy theory. AVForums has only ever been about publishing honest reviews.

The consensus on it being unrelentingly dark is my only hesitation. Ellie's innocence and optimism in the first was a nice counterpoint to Joel's dour survivalism.

I'm just now playing A Plague Tale: Innocence and the bleakness and psychological brutality of the first few chapters was a little hard to stomach at times.

the fact that it is unrelentlessly dark is why i'm more attracted to the game..but hey that's just me

Despite Druckmann’s promised “philosophical questions,” I never felt like the game asked me anything. Instead, it told me “brutality,” repeatedly and louder, until by the end I couldn’t hear what it was trying to say at all. Characters make hideous, irredeemable choices, over and over. Everybody suffers, physically and emotionally, in graphic detail. This is all intended to prove a point, but the only point I got from the game was simply to be required to stare at violence, and play through violence, and then do that again, and more, and again, and more. [Kotaku]

A typical beatemup is brutal, but it's pretty much a cartoon. This is meant to be more than that. Maybe it is? But myriad of 10/10 and 5/5 scores and excessive gushing is fishy. Especially when you consider that when you read the reviews you realise that the perfect score doesn't match the review.

I'm not paying £60 + for it. I'll wait a few months and get it cheaper.

Where is it £60+? Even a digital copy on PSN, usually the most expensive, is £54.99 I think. Physical copies can be bought for around £50 at a lot of online retailers.

Can not overstate how much I’m looking forward to playing this. I daren’t read the review since I’d prefer to know nothing about it in advance. But so pleased to see it get another perfect score, indicating all of Naughty dogs hard work paid off :thumbsup:

I will get around to playing this at some point but will wait for a price drop, currently playing Days Gone, so that's enough zombie action for me for the time being. Look forward to hearing everyones thoughts after they have finished it.

I will get around to playing this at some point but will wait for a price drop, currently playing Days Gone, so that's enough zombie action for me for the time being. Look forward to hearing everyones thoughts after they have finished it.
No zombies, fungus! :D

I'm holding off starting Days Gone for this arriving (if postman ever gets here!)

RM tracking shows my steelbook just got delivered. Other half is at home and has strict instructions to install it immediately. Hope my ps Pro works, hasn't been switched on in months.
Its one of the few games that really got the ball and chain hooked (the first game) so we've both been looking forward to this for a couple of years. Recently upgraded to a 65 inch OLED as well, can't wait to fire this up!

RM tracking shows my steelbook just got delivered. Other half is at home and has strict instructions to install it immediately. Hope my ps Pro works, hasn't been switched on in months.
Its one of the few games that really got the ball and chain hooked (the first game) so we've both been looking forward to this for a couple of years. Recently upgraded to a 65 inch OLED as well, can't wait to fire this up!

I switched my ps4 pro on for the first time in 12 months and it was fine, just needed an update. Playing through some exclusives.

I liked the first one, but didn’t love it, so I only played it once on PS3 and never felt the need to go back to it. As I remember, the story was much more interesting than the actual gameplay, and certainly wasn’t one of my unforgettable gaming experiences, so not feeling any hype for the sequel. Maybe this one improves on the gameplay side and I’m sure it‘s a technical marvel, as was Uncharted 4, but my backlog is too big right now, so I can wait.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom