The Last of Us Part II Review & Comments

Not really sure how it's a fair comparison when comparing a game running at 4k on an rtx2080 pc system to this game running on a PS4 Pro. That card costs almost 3 times as much as the console!
This game looks fantastic, I'm slightly confused why you wouldn't get the shadows and dynamic range. Is it your settings? Or the display?
Im playing it on an oled so I imagine that helps.

Your first photo here shows where I’m talking about. Hardly any shadows
Dont know man,my impression is fantastic for this scene or any other i encounter till now.
You will see how it looks for you when you come to that point in game,what kind of TV you have?

Dont know man,my impression is fantastic for this scene or any other i encounter till now.
You will see how it looks for you when you come to that point in game,what kind of TV you have?
I agree. It's easy to focus on one graphical element of the game and say 'well x game doe that better' but it's how the overall package comes together. The art design, character models, voice acting and so on.
Very few games come close.
RDR2 for example was beautiful but, for me, intensely boring. TLOU always has something to catch your attention and keep you wanting more. Just my opinion, of course, and I appreciate others may see it differently.

Not really sure how it's a fair comparison when comparing a game running at 4k on an rtx2080 pc system to this game running on a PS4 Pro. That card costs almost 3 times as much as the console!
This game looks fantastic, I'm slightly confused why you wouldn't get the shadows and dynamic range. Is it your settings? Or the display?
Im playing it on an oled so I imagine that helps.

The first photo megatama shows hardly any shadows! Im referencing a photo he has posted as my evidence 😂😂

I think maybe I’m just too fussy and was spoilt by rdr2 on pc

The first photo megatama shows hardly any shadows! Im referencing a photo he has posted as my evidence 😂😂
And I'm referencing your earlier posts where you were saying something similar regarding shadows and comparing it to a game running on a 2080. It's one picture and I don't think anyone can dispute even that pic looks excellent.
Each to their own, your entitled to your own opinion, but I'd hazard a guess you're in the minority with that.
Are you playing the game at the moment?

I think maybe I’m just too fussy and was spoilt by rdr2 on pc
Thats well lit room from two directions,i would not like it to have dark,deep,unrealistic shadows.
When you come to that room you will have oportunity to check it for yourself.
I found it realistic,ofthen we have in games this dark verry visible shadows wich are simply not realistic.
Example...Metro Exodus on pc ultra settings have alot of shadows but when you turn on raytrace you see that alot of them are wrong and unrealisticly positioned.
In TLOU2 i found this aspect werry realistic...not perfect but better then most games on market.

And I'm referencing your earlier posts where you were saying something similar regarding shadows and comparing it to a game running on a 2080. It's one picture and I don't think anyone can dispute even that pic looks excellent.
Each to their own, your entitled to your own opinion, but I'd hazard a guess you're in the minority with that.
Are you playing the game at the moment?

I started it today. Was blown away by the cutscene or Joel but the horse-riding part at the start I thought wasn't that good, compared to RDR2.

You touch on a good point though, maybe its unfair for me to compare this game to RTX 2080-generated shadows. I just didn't think the gap was this big between the two. I think I've maybe just set my expectations too high. I've been psyched about this game for ages as I loved the first one.

I remember playing God of War and being absolutely blown away at every single spectacle.

Then again, I'm only at the beginning of the game, I'm sure it gets much better. Naughty Dog are the masters of art design and pushing hardware to its limits.

I have no doubt their opinion is more valuable than mine and I am likely judging this game too harshly too quickly.

I did play through opening stages on my 902B, C9 OLED and my PJ (just to compare). I might stick with PJ for this game.

The world from that video looks A LOT more expansive than the first game. Very excited.

I started it today. Was blown away by the cutscene or Joel but the horse-riding part at the start I thought wasn't that good, compared to RDR2.

You touch on a good point though, maybe its unfair for me to compare this game to RTX 2080-generated shadows. I just didn't think the gap was this big between the two. I think I've maybe just set my expectations too high. I've been psyched about this game for ages as I loved the first one.

I remember playing God of War and being absolutely blown away at every single spectacle.

Then again, I'm only at the beginning of the game, I'm sure it gets much better. Naughty Dog are the masters of art design and pushing hardware to its limits.
Yeah the cut scenes are really something, the detail is amazing. Along with the acting it's easy to forget its not real actors on screen at times.
I still struggle a little with the control scheme at times, which was a minor gripe I had with the first game as well.
Really looking forward to playing it through to Seattle.
I'm hoping there's moments of respite from the tension, like the giraffe moment in the first game.

I have no doubt their opinion is more valuable than mine and I am likely judging this game too harshly too quickly.

I did play through opening stages on my 902B, C9 OLED and my PJ (just to compare). I might stick with PJ for this game.

The world from that video looks A LOT more expansive than the first game. Very excited.
Forgive my ignorance but what's your 'PJ'? Been racking my brain to figure out what display that would be but I'm lost :)

Forgive my ignorance but what's your 'PJ'? Been racking my brain to figure out what display that would be but I'm lost :)

Hahah projector Epson 9400 :)

I think a cinematic game like this deserves it although some games don't translate well over to the huge screen.

Sadly I do lose that HDR ultra brightness pop for specular highlight detail but gain an extra 30 inches or so lol.

Hahah projector Epson 9400 :)

I think a cinematic game like this deserves it although some games don't translate well over to the huge screen.

Sadly I do lose that HDR ultra brightness pop for specular highlight detail but gain an extra 30 inches or so lol.

Ah of course! :facepalm:

Had a few too many beers last night so I'm a bit slow on the uptake today.

I've never gamed on a projector before, interesting. I think you're right, it's the type of game that lends itself to a bigger screen. Enjoy!

Yeah the cut scenes are really something, the detail is amazing. Along with the acting it's easy to forget its not real actors on screen at times.
I still struggle a little with the control scheme at times, which was a minor gripe I had with the first game as well.
Really looking forward to playing it through to Seattle.
I'm hoping there's moments of respite from the tension, like the giraffe moment in the first game.

There is. A whole chapter in fact and it was lovely.

I agree. It's easy to focus on one graphical element of the game and say 'well x game doe that better' but it's how the overall package comes together. The art design, character models, voice acting and so on.
Very few games come close.
RDR2 for example was beautiful but, for me, intensely boring. TLOU always has something to catch your attention and keep you wanting more. Just my opinion, of course, and I appreciate others may see it differently.
This. I Bought RDR2 for PC and bored after 1 day.

Yes, the visual fidelity of my RTX2080Ti/i7 is superior but what the PS4Pro is doing with ND's artistry/skill is in a league of its own. Can't put the game down. Everything I'd hoped for really other than maybe a PC version but thats never going to happen. Its games like this that I have a PS4Pro for.

I'm so looking forward to this so much so I have booked today and Monday off work to play it.

Shame I will only be playing it on a 1st gen PS4.
It plays flawlessly on standard PS4, I was expecting framerate issues etc. It's super smooth and graphics are too notch. They really have pushed PS4 to its limits with this one, as Naughty Dog usually do.

Tech/visuals are super impressive from start but later one......😱😱😱😱

I enjoy every second of this game...every second.

don't you find the lack of any dyanmic shadows a bit last gen? For example the first photo.. I can't even see much ambient occlusion at work to create a shadow around objects.

maybe Pc gaming has spoilt me.

Naughty Dog have always relied on baked lighting. It has big performance advantages, especially on, let's not forget, 7 year old very cheap hardware. I'd say they're getting remarkable results given the constraints.

So after all the keyboard warriors said their not buying this game after looking at the leaks...its the fastest selling game on the PS4... to me its one of the best looking game on the ps4. Im about 10 hours in, looking and savouring every second.

Managed to rig up the PS4 downstairs on a LG 1080p, OMG the game is lush, I can not imagine what it would be like on a 4k PS pro. for me 9.5/10 the reason being just in case I'm putting this next bit under a spoiler
It's an A to B to C type of game, ie limited on the exploring that you can do, but Its still a great game

I'm half way through it and being a fan of the first one (Probably my favourite game of all my 35 years of gaming) I was excited and nervous at the same time. I'd unfortunately heard a couple of spoilers but if you stay away from the game because of them then you a missing out on so much and they do not spoil the game at all.
This is a completely different story from the first game (which it should be, it's a new game) but it so expertly intwinds with the original that it is a must play if you like the first. The game play is 10 times better than the first, it looks and sounds amazing and the story has got me gripped....
As I said, i'm only half way through it but at the oment if I had to score it it would be a 10/10, I'll let you know my final score once i've finished it.

yeah i got to the end of the first chapter and can say this game is incredible. beautiful too. i think im just not that used to baked lighting and was a bit overly critical. insane game.

yeah i got to the end of the first chapter and can say this game is incredible. beautiful too. i think im just not that used to baked lighting and was a bit overly critical. insane game.
Games we play on pc in general dont have real time lightning outside of raytraced one and thats only in couple games.

I haven’t had a PlayStation for as long as I can remember. But this review and game may pursuance me to get one again.

Any chance the original game will be optimised for the PS5 as well? I really like that how on the Xbox X the older games have been optimised; well the big titles anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom