The Last of Us Part II Review & Comments

Tim2049

You made a post with spoilers in it which someone complained about in the following post, so it got deleted.

You can elaborate if you can do it without spoiling.
You can drop your silly conspiracy theory. AVForums has only ever been about publishing honest reviews.
'Honest', hmmm ok. I'm guessing you and I have slightly different definitions. What I see, time and time again, is AV forums following the general comcensus and never, ever 'going out on a limb' with contrary opinions/observations etc.

I appreciate you'll disagree, but this crappy, misguided opinion of mine has been formed over several years.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Despite Druckmann’s promised “philosophical questions,” I never felt like the game asked me anything. Instead, it told me “brutality,” repeatedly and louder, until by the end I couldn’t hear what it was trying to say at all. Characters make hideous, irredeemable choices, over and over. Everybody suffers, physically and emotionally, in graphic detail. This is all intended to prove a point, but the only point I got from the game was simply to be required to stare at violence, and play through violence, and then do that again, and more, and again, and more. [Kotaku]

A typical beatemup is brutal, but it's pretty much a cartoon. This is meant to be more than that. Maybe it is? But myriad of 10/10 and 5/5 scores and excessive gushing is fishy. Especially when you consider that when you read the reviews you realise that the perfect score doesn't match the review.
That's an interesting snippet.

But I don't really see it as fishy.
It suggests it's extremely successful at what it's trying to achieve. And what it's trying to achieve seems to speak directly to the sensibilities of a lot of people or the zeitgeist or the expectations of a LoU sequel or a mixture of all three.

As the commentariat on here have stated already, a lot of people find the brutality one of the strongest aspects of the original.

It would take some real convincing for me to accept that the majority of reviewers are getting bungs from Naughty Dog!

Skull n Bones

Enjoyed the first on the old PS3 and currently having a run through with the remastered on the Pro but no hurry to get this yet. Will wait til drops to around a score and then put in the pile to play.

Coulson

It would take some real convincing for me to accept that the majority of reviewers are getting bungs from Naughty Dog!
I did refine my comment to say whether it was cash or for future access. But in the end, even with all the issues, and the nasty tactics of Sony and Naughty Dog, the game will sell well so....

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
'Honest', hmmm ok. I'm guessing you and I have slightly different definitions. What I see, time and time again, is AV forums following the general comcensus and never, ever 'going out on a limb' with contrary opinions/observations etc.

I appreciate you'll disagree, but this crappy, misguided opinion of mine has been formed over several years.
Should you be surprised that the majority of reviews from everywhere are generally similar? That just illustrates a reassuring consistency between reviewers.
Or would you rather an organisation fabricate content to garner controversy?
Why would AVForums publish reviews which are anything other than honest? It doesn't make any sense. Our reviews would lose credibility if they weren't genuine, and we would lose readers. We're nothing without our readers.
Our community is quick to comment and disagree with a review (e.g. Netflix's Da 5 Bloods Movie Review) and if there is a technical inaccuracy (which is rare, but we are human), then we're grateful for feedback so we can correct the error.
We review for our readers, not for the manufacturers/publishers/movie studios and we have both given credit and criticism where it is earned. Some manufacturers choose not to send us products for review because they don't like us publishing honest opinions.

I'll defend our editorial because this is my company and it's my intention that our reviews should be as accurate and beneficial to our readers as possible. We can't compete with the PLC publishers on quantity, so we compete on quality.
Of course, you're welcome to your opinion if you don't agree with our reviews and I bet if you look hard enough you can find a website that writes a review exactly how you want it to read.

Last edited:

Red tape

Standard Member
I´m not a gamer but curious about the soundmix. Does it have DD 5.1 or even Atmos?

Tim2049

Should you be surprised that the majority of reviews from everywhere are generally similar? That just illustrates a reassuring consistency between reviewers.
Or would you rather an organisation fabricate content to garner controversy?
Why would AVForums publish reviews which are anything other than honest? It doesn't make any sense. Our reviews would lose credibility if they weren't genuine, and we would lose readers. We're nothing without our readers.
Our community is quick to comment and disagree with a review (e.g. Netflix's Da 5 Bloods Movie Review) and if there is a technical inaccuracy (which is rare, but we are human), then we're grateful for feedback so we can correct the error.
We review for our readers, not for the manufacturers/publishers/movie studios and we have both given credit and criticism where it is earned. Some manufacturers choose not to send us products for review because they don't like us publishing honest opinions.

I'll defend our editorial because this is my company and it's my intention that our reviews should be as accurate and beneficial to our readers as possible. We can't compete with the PLCs on quantity, so we compete on quality.
Of course, you're welcome to your opinion if you don't agree with our reviews and I bet if you look hard enough you can find a website that writes a review exactly how you want it to read.
Fair point, except who are we trying to kid here, be it consciously or subconsciously, a LOT of critics these days are clearly a little intimidated by the prospect of appearing contrarian when it comes to delicate political elements. I appreciate you won't agree, but even if you did, I'm guessing you wouldn't publically. What's more, I do actually empathise. If you say anything that flusters the blue-haired brigade on Twitter then you run the risk of being 'cancelled'. Sad but true.

You're right in saying this game is getting overwhelmingly positive reviews, but I still maintain that there are very plausible arguments for why at least some criticism is valid. A fair few sites are addressing these, but not nearly enough.

If the reviewer here enjoyed it to a level that was '10/10' that's totally cool, but it's frustrating seeing the game's obvious shortcomings being glossed over. Why is that? Well, possibly because it's an 'important' game, so no-one wants to go against the current...

"I bet if you look hard enough you can find a website that writes a review exactly how you want it to read."

I respect reviews that surprise me once in a while, that's all.

I'm still on this site every day I hasten to add. Love it. I just wish I didnt have to apply a pinch of salt quite so often, that's all. I certainly don't mean to come across as blunt or provocative. It's an opinion that's all. I know it may be a minority opinion, but I know I'm not alone here either...

psikey

Distinguished Member
Fair point, except who are we trying to kid here, be it consciously or subconsciously, a LOT of critics these days are clearly a little intimidated by the prospect of appearing contrarian when it comes to delicate political elements. I appreciate you won't agree, but even if you did, I'm guessing you wouldn't publically. What's more, I do actually empathise. If you say anything that flusters the blue-haired brigade on Twitter then you run the risk of being 'cancelled'. Sad but true.

You're right in saying this game is getting overwhelmingly positive reviews, but I still maintain that there are very plausible arguments for why at least some criticism is valid. A fair few sites are addressing these, but not nearly enough.

If the reviewer here enjoyed it to a level that was '10/10' that's totally cool, but it's frustrating seeing the game's obvious shortcomings being glossed over. Why is that? Well, possibly because it's an 'important' game, so no-one wants to go against the current...

"I bet if you look hard enough you can find a website that writes a review exactly how you want it to read."

I'm still on this site every day I hasten to add. Love it. I just wish I didnt have to apply a pinch of salt quite so often, that's all. I certainly don't mean to come across as blunt or provocative. It's an opinion that's all. I know it may be a minority opinion, but I know I'm not alone here either...
So you've played it already?

My FPS son was bored with original in 30 mins but then he just wants to shoot everything and no interest in a story. He never continued and has no interest in this type of game. I love this type of game.

tonyk79

Played about an 1.5hr this morning and got the below error. Anyone else getting this as all other games working fine. Purchased via PS Store.

0AC7243B-0493-4BDE-AC28-BF7823F2A14B.jpeg

gunner84

Distinguished Member
How many hours is the game?, looking on meteoritic all the ones rating it zero, how have they played it so quick, I'm guessing the game is a good 15+hrs?

tonyk79

I’ve only played about 1.5hrs and it’s very good so far but not 10/10 as some issues Exist such as with A.I not moving when in cover and then you can’t move as they’re blocking you. The looting system is getting tiresome, multiple button clicks and not easy to see at times. Some issues with controls and then having to repeatedly squeeze through openings and the like.

That’s why for me, it can’t be a 10/10.

LotusElan

I missed the first one, thanks to a 12 year gaming gap. I recently got a PS4 for my son and have picked up part 1. Sounds like this isn't suitable for children (mine is 14)?
Both games have an 18 certificate so, on the face of it, no!

However if you want to ignore the rating that it has been given then that means you're actually asking whether it's suitable for your children, and that's a question that only you can answer. :)

TruroSpurs

Standard Member
I'm on the fence with this game as I really didn't enjoy the first game, felt very meh (preparing to get shot down). So I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy this or not. Probably one for the wait until its in the bargains section

Tim2049

So you've played it already?

My FPS son was bored with original in 30 mins but then he just wants to shoot everything and no interest in a story. He never continued and has no interest in this type of game. I love this type of game.
I"ve not played it, no, I've just watched the first 4-5 hours, which were uploaded onto youtube last night in 4k.

I really respected the first game, although I didn't finish it because I'm one of those who doesn't understand the appeal of being terrified and anxious for hours on end...(!) Still, it's not the game's fault that I'm a pansy. I thought it was a hugely impressive piece of work...

This follow up looks really good too I hasten to add. I've still no interest in playing it because it looks overly bleak, repetitive and loaded with cut scenes etc etc. But there no denying it's a pretty stunning achievement on many levels. I'm not seeing a 10/10 game here, because its shortcomings are obvious, but I can understand someone liking it '10/10'...if you get me.

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
mines just turned up so i'm happy..i applaud you royal mail!

psikey

Distinguished Member
OK initial thoughts on graphics. Great for PS4P as you would expect, but RTX2080Ti blows it away. Latest Tomb Raider games are jaw dropping on PC.

darklight

What's more, I do actually empathise. If you say anything that flusters the blue-haired brigade on Twitter then you run the risk of being 'cancelled'. Sad but true.
:rotfl::rotfl::laugh::eek:That is soooo true in this culture of cancelling & virtue signalling, and need to be a victim of some or other perceived offence….:(

rfield

OK initial thoughts on graphics. Great for PS4P as you would expect, but RTX2080Ti blows it away. Latest Tomb Raider games are jaw dropping on PC.
Without getting into it overly, totally agree.
I have a ps4 pro simply for playing exclusives - anything else is always played on a current gen PC.
I loved Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding on ps4 for example, but will be happily playing them again on day 1 once the PC versions are launched for the better graphics and of course 60fps.

Coulson

Both games have an 18 certificate so, on the face of it, no!

However if you want to ignore the rating that it has been given then that means you're actually asking whether it's suitable for your children, and that's a question that only you can answer. :)
@silent ninja From the reviews there is a lot of brutality and some raw s** (The screenshots are everywhere right now). My kids would not be allowed anywhere near this.

mark6226

This game is superb. I've played nearly four hours so far on the pro and thoroughly enjoying it
graphics at 4k with hdr look gorgeous.
As for the story. Its a video game so the story doesn't really matter. All these sort of games involve one thing. Kill kill kill. The story is secondary to the action.
level design is excellent. Upgrades are beautifully handled. Other game devs should follow ND example of simplicity and excellence
I never overthink a video games story. In fact I rarely give the story any thought. I absolutely never get involved in any kind of so called moral dilemmas as there aren't any because it's a game and not real. Any decision you make in a game it's totally inconsequential.
this game is great fun. It's extremely well made.
Well done ND on yet another marvellous release.

Kevo

I pre-ordered the Standard Edition from Currys a couple of weeks ago. It arrived today. How do I claim my 'Ammo capacity upgrade' bonus?