The Last Guardian

steviedr

Distinguished Member
At last!!!

kav

Distinguished Member
This is one of those gaming things I just don't get, like Pokemon. Can someone explain what's so amazing about TLG?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus were seen as a couple of the best games on PS2, and this is their spiritual successor. This is why people are hoping it'll be amazing.

RedAl

I loved the look of that. Looks different to any kind of game I`ve ever played and just what I`m looking for.

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
This is one of those gaming things I just don't get, like Pokemon. Can someone explain what's so amazing about TLG?
Based on the previous games the games deliver an atmosphere an awe that not many games do or have. They are very simple games but executed extremely well with some great puzzles. I can see it being a Marmite game but its one of the reasons I got a PS4.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
And to add, you have to have played them, ICO still sits in my mind as one of the best games, the PS2 was called the emotion engine, this game had it in spades, plus the artwork was stunning.

Det

Distinguished Member
They were great at the time, but they haven't aged well. Got the Orange box recently on the cheap and didn't play more than 30 minutes.
Yah, I played Half Life 2 on my Nvidia Portable Console and I played a few hours to try and see what was so great... maybe I just didn't get far enough into the story. Now Alan Wake was my type of story and that's on the Shield Grid games... I still need to finish that as a matter of fact.

And I was going to say this game looks just like Ico style, lol.

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Yah, I played Half Life 2 on my Nvidia Portable Console and I played a few hours to try and see what was so great... maybe I just didn't get far enough into the story. Now Alan Wake was my type of story and that's on the Shield Grid games... I still need to finish that as a matter of fact.

And I was going to say this game looks just like Ico style, lol.
Just bought Alan Wake on the Steam sale :)

Billy Goodgun

I loved SotC in particular, and maybe this will be similarly great. However, I'm no graphics snob, but I did think it looked a bit PS3 (I'm sure due to its protracted development, but even so). I also didn't think what they showed off was particularly inspiring - but then I do realise what makes games like this is the aesthetic whole, so it's nearly impossible to demo effectively.

Jury's out at the moment.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I'm a graphics snob and thought it looked ropey, the dog/dragon looked superb though.
I know what you mean, the video they showed back in the day (on PS3) looked very similar, watching this on my bigger TV, it does look really nice, very like ICO (although if I put ICO on, while beautiful it would look very dated). I did expect it to be tarted up a bit more on PS4, but I will still be buying this day one, been waiting a long time for it, while I'm also a graphics snob, emotion rates very highly as well and I hope this will have plenty.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Guess this explains the visuals

The executive also said the game's visuals won't be getting an upgrade as they're keeping in line with creator Fumito Ueda's (who recently set up its own studio) vision for the project.

"No, that's the vision for the project. The vision hasn't changed since the PS3 era. It's just that we couldn't achieve that on PS3. [Fumito] Ueda-san doesn't view the need for any changes."

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Guess this explains the visuals

The executive also said the game's visuals won't be getting an upgrade as they're keeping in line with creator Fumito Ueda's (who recently set up its own studio) vision for the project.

"No, that's the vision for the project. The vision hasn't changed since the PS3 era. It's just that we couldn't achieve that on PS3. [Fumito] Ueda-san doesn't view the need for any changes."
The visuals are fine, it's the art style that some people won't like.

Det

Distinguished Member
If it's anything close to the emotional response the indie team gave me with "Brothers" then I'll be pleasantly content with this game. The visuals weren't great on Brothers and I still really enjoyed that so I'm happy about the graphics in this.

zt1903

Distinguished Member