1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ladykillers Original

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    For anyone wanting to see this now seldom seen Ealing classic comedy with some great character actors switch on to Ch4 this afternoon at 4.20. :cool:

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the remake last night...if the original is half as good, It'll be worth watching...I for one, will be setting my Sky+ as I'm going to an advanced screening of Shrek 2 this afternoon...

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    You will have to give us the benefit if your opinion from seeing them both. In this case an unusual position from seeing the remake first.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do mate...thanks for the heads up BTW.
    Just got back from seeing Shrek 2...I'll not say to much about this...JUST GO SEE IT!!

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    It's a shame Ch4 are showing it in 4:3 - my R1 DVD is in 1.66 anamorphic. Still my favourite Ealing comedy. :D Good 'ole Mrs Lopsidy.

Steve

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4.3 is 1.66.1 AKAIK...?

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched the original last night, having recorded it yesterday afternoon. The original seems to have stood the test of time very well indeed (which is more than you can say about Channel 4's print of the film... :thumbsdow ). The remake follows the story of the first very closely, though the names of the characters have been changed, and the remake is now set in Mississippi, not London. The remake even starts with the "old lady" visiting the police station, just like the original.
    Other changes of note is that trains have been changed for barges, and the swear count in the remake is probably in triple figures, starring one of the Wayans brothers a a homeboy with a chip on his shoulder.
    To compare the 2 would be both unfair and suicidal on this forum, which without doubt has a large fan base for the original...what I will say though is that the remake pays tribute to the original in many ways...event ot the point where the "old ladies" look very much alike...even though one's black and one's white.
    I've heard that this is the first of a few remakes by the Coen brothers of the ealing comedies, with Tom Hanks playing Sir Alec's part in all of them...I left the cinema looking forward to the next one.
    Having not seen the original before the remake, I thouroughly enjoyed it as a stand alone movie. Many people are going to compare it to the original, which is a classic in British movie history. I think maybe that's a little unfair...it's a good enough movie in it's own right IMHO.

One last thing, those of you that watched and enjoye O Brother Where Art Though will enjoy this movie no end. I enjoyed the former very much and the mix of blues, gospel and "hippity hop" worked very well. Go and see, it's a good rest from this years "blockbuster" :laugh: and is probably the best film I've seen this year...apart from Shrek 2, but that's a different story... ;)

Overall:Original - 9/10
    Remake - 8.9/10 - yes, they're that close, with the original just pipping it in my book...

8. Brian Hussey

Brian Hussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wasn't the Ealing version originally in black and white? Or is my memory failing me?

Brian.

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife thought that as well... :confused:

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Not sure what AKAIK stands for, but 4:3 is 1.33:1.

Steve

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    I thought that but I probably watched it on my black and white portable in the bedroom, but saying that, I use to think the Errol Flynn, Robin Hood was B&W.

Does any one know if thy have been colorized?

They have done this with the very first series if Bewitched and made a good job of it.

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking to my Mother this evening, she has confirmed that the original was made in colour...she even knew off the top off her head what year the original was made and rolled off the cast and the names of the characters they played...knew I should never have given her that Yamaha 1092 and Pioneer DVD player all those years ago... :rolleyes: :D