The Lady Vanishes (BBC One)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Keeley Hawes (Ashes To Ashes) stars in BBC One's 'The Lady Vanishes', to be screened this Christmas. 90mins.

Adapted by 'Fiona Seres' (The Silence) from the novel 'The Wheel Spins' - also filmed by Hitchcock as The Lady Vanishes.

Gemma Jones (Spooks), Tom Hughes (Silk), Stephanie Cole (Coronation Street) and Julian Rhind-Tutt (The Hour), Selina Cadell (Toast), Jesper Christensen (Melancholia), Tuppence Middleton (Spies of Warsaw)

Kate Harwood, Controller, Series and Serials;
“Fiona's adaptation of The Wheel Spins deftly weaves together the intriguing stories of a psychologically complex group of characters - with the mysterious disappearance of Miss Froy on a packed train - played out against the tense backdrop of the Balkans in the 1930s. I am delighted with the incredible cast and crew we have assembled for the project. The Lady Vanishes will be a thrilling treat for BBC One audiences this Christmas.”

Directed by Diarmuid Lawrence (South Riding), The Lady Vanishes begins filming on location in Budapest this month.

Enjoyed the paranoia and intrigue and the lead was well played by Tuppence Middleton.

Did we ever know how she got that bump to her head...

The drama attracted an average of 6.7m viewers

Overall I thought this was pretty good and I quite like one offs where you don't have to invest months or years in them. I liked the lead girl Tuppence in it but then I liked her in black mirror the other week too, hopefully we'll be seeing more of her

Did we ever know how she got that bump to her head...

I assumed it was when she fell down that cliff (that she thought was a better option than having to walk past Keeley Hawes) :rolleyes:

Attempted to watch this today. Gave up halfway through & ended up fast-forwarding through the rest. Hated every single smug, irritating character in it & wanted to punch them all repeatedly. (& judging by the final scene, Tuppence hadn't learned anything from her experience & was still incredibly smug & irritating)

I was hoping WWII would break out early & they'd all get shot.

:thumbsdow

The 1979 Hammer version was quite poor, but at least that had Cybil Shepherd & Elliot Gould in it, & some half decent comic relief from Arthur Lowe & Ian Carmichael.

Tuppence Middleton's very attractive though. I'll give her that. ;)

Attempted to watch this today. Gave up halfway through & ended up fast-forwarding through the rest. Hated every single smug, irritating character in it & wanted to punch them all repeatedly. (& judging by the final scene, Tuppence hadn't learned anything from her experience & was still incredibly smug & irritating)

I was hoping WWII would break out early & they'd all get shot.

:thumbsdow

I watched it over two sittings as nothing about it engaged me that much to keep it on for it's duration . As you say there wasn't a single character to like.

Maybe it's an attempt to show the upper class in their true colours at that time. You wouldn't get that now would we? We're all in it together. So say the Millionare cabinet.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom