1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The KLV-26HG2 LCD any good?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by basefree, Sep 27, 2004.

1. basefree

basefree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was recommended to come here to ask about this Sony LCD. I've got the Sony Product guide and it says it's 15:9 (WIDE) is this a typo, is it really 16:9? Also does anyone have this LCD, and what do they think please. I've got a chance of grabbing a new one for around £1300.

I will mainly be using the TV for gaming (PAL modded Xbox and US Gamecube), DVDs now and again and some TV.

Thanks.

2. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All the reviews of this make it sound like the dogs whatsits. However, having seen one in action I have to say I personally thought it was pants! To be fair it may be that it they were just plugged in and left with default settings and that with a bit of tuning they can look really good. I have seen 3 different screens in 3 different Sony shops though so I would have expected at least one of them to be set up well (one of the Sony shops is usually pretty good at setting up their TVs as I once demoed a plasma which looked pretty good).
    I found that the image looked drab, there was lots of shimmering and the picture lacked depth. I'd say it was one of the worst looking pictures I have ever seen on an LCD (or any type of TV).
    Don't let me put you off though. If you can get somebody to demo one that's set up properly you may find it to be totally different to my experience. Let me know if you do!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    In common with many (but not all) WS LCDs of this sort of size it probably is 15x9. Which may mean that 16x9 images either

a) have a thin black bar above and below OR
    b) are stretched vertically a little OR
    c) are cropped slightly at the left and right.

4. basefree

basefree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys, I think I'll give it a miss especially as it's over a £1000.

5. PaulSeales

PaulSeales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have one and use it in my bedroom. Only feeding Sky + into it via RF, although I do hook a DVD player up to it every now and then. I have to say I've been well chuffed with it.