The King's Speech Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Simon Crust, 16th May 2011.
It’s a rare film, especially nowadays, that can combine all elements (picture, sound and story) to make something truly special, The King’s Speech is one such film. On Blu-ray it is even better than on the big screen as the intimate setting combines with the intimate setting of Lionel’s room, enhancing the experience, as two men, from different sides of the world and from different social classes, a world apart, come together to form a friendship to test the ages. Watching the friendship build whilst trying to overcome an awful speech impediment, you too become their friends; feeling every pause and every stutter, willing the words forth with such emotion, so as to become part of the picture. A truly wonderful experience.

As a Blu-ray package the real letdown is the 1080i picture, which whist not bad in its own right is a ridiculous travesty considering the 1080p picture from the US, compound this by a Region locked disc, even the magnificent sound and terrific extras package can’t sway what is really a sub-par release for the UK.

Read the full review...

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
We were really impressed by this film, indeed Mrs TG has already seen it 4 times!

My biggest problem was that Colin Firth, whilst giving a sensational performance, looks nothing like King George VI.

But then, I had the same problem with Tom Hanks in Apollo 13!

Thanks for an excellent review. :smashin:

drummerjohn

Not really sure how Tron Legacy got 9 for movie and this got 8. Tron - shallow, acting nothing special, below average plot. Kings Speech - great acting, great story, superior depth of characters. Strange old world.

The Kings Speech is a fantastic film.

Last edited:

bosque

Novice Member
Not really sure how Tron Legacy got 9 for movie and this got 8. Tron - shallow, acting nothing special, below average plot. Kings Speech - great acting, great story, superior depth of characters. Strange old world.

As bad as Tron Legacy is, it is obviously a movie. The King's Speech however could easily have been shown as a BBC 4 play.

Simon Crust

Movie Reviewer

Scoring is always highly contentious, particularly with the movie review part as it's so personal - this film was always hovering between an 8 and a 9 for me; if I could I would have gone 8.5 as an average; whilst I loved the film, when I compare it to my own personal favourites (those that would score 10) it wasn't quite up there, so I eventually went for an 'excellent' rather than a 'reference' score ... make sense?

I'll be looking at Tron: Legacy 3D in the very near future (trying to work it as my next disc), so we'll see how I score that :cool: :D

Simon

drummerjohn

If you look at other sites ie imdb.com, Amazon etc etc they all rate the Kings Speech as a movie higher than that of Tron Legacy.

If it's your personal preference then that's fine and stick with it but it's not in line with anywhere else so struck me as odd. Each to there own.

Personally I think that the whole cast were outstanding and Firth took the statue on their behalf...what I can't forgive though is the quality of the disc. 1080/50i? What's that all about...? And in some scenes this really isn't any better looking than the DVD - and I don't say that lightly...blown up onto a 2m screen, dark scenes are - at times - unwatchable. I saw it four times at the cinema - twice in one day - at a THX certified screen on a digital showing...and for once it was better than what I get at home...which is a shame as this film deserves more.

Tron Legacy and The Kings Speech are 2 entirely different films and the films were written by 2 different people - to compare the 2 is a bit silly really...

Gary Nash

Novice Member
In addition to the 1080i/50 problem, Momentum have encoded this with ICT (Image Constraint Token) which limits output via component to 720p - so if you have a projector setup without HDMI, then you're just getting DVD quality. They made the same mistake with 'Men Who Stare At Goats'.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
In addition to the 1080i/50 problem, Momentum have encoded this with ICT (Image Constraint Token) which limits output via component to 720p - so if you have a projector setup without HDMI, then you're just getting DVD quality. They made the same mistake with 'Men Who Stare At Goats'.
I think 720p is a lot better than DVD quality.

Many people here (myself included) have 720p displays, and there's a huge difference between SD and HD. Meanwhile, the difference between 1080p and 720p is not so large:

1080p-720p shoot-out in Athens! - AVS Forum

720 Vs 1080 Part II: A mini Shoot-out with a twist! - AVS Forum

Personally, I'll watch my 1080i/50 King's Speech de-interlaced by my Oppo, and I'm sure it'll look as good as 1080p. As for PAL speed up, I've always said that it didn't bother me back in the days of watching films on TV since I was a child, or on VHS, or LaserDisc, or DVD, so I'm not going to let it bother me now.

Of course, it would be preferable to have it in 1080p/24, but for me the difference is negligable.

Steve W

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom