The King's Daughter (2022)

Cherry Bakewell

Standard Member
Reaction score
What a strange film, or rather, what a strange journey this project has had from conception to film! It was filmed about seven years ago and is being released this week. It stars Pierce Brosnan as the "Sun King" and is based very, very, very loosey on the Vonda McIntyre novel The Moon and the Sun.

I have seen it and found it rather odd. It's beautifully shot (mermaid effects are not great, though) and you get the vibe it's aiming for something grand but it just comes across as a rather dumbed-down children's flick.

I get the feeling a lot may have been left on the cutting room floor as it all seemed very rushed with next to no character development beyond the most basic SHE'S A FEMINIST, HE'S A BAD GUY, FUNNY BEST FRIEND sort of stuff.

The ending and the use of modern pop music was very bizarre. There was also odd cases of modern dialogue peppered here and there despite the script otherwise sort of trying to have the characters speak in that We're In A Historical Drama sort of way.

I found it a disappointing what could have been and a real waste of very lavish production values. A pity.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom