The Ken Kreisel Speakers Thread

They actually look interesting and there seems to be a clear delineation this time around between the professional and lifestyle range.

It's also interesting he's dropped the 'Quattro' design for the original semi line-array across all the multi-tweeter configurations. If the Quattro design was indeed superior then why not iterate on them for this new series..

Either way, my Quattro's are still running strong and I'll be interested in trying out some of the new range when I'm due an upgrade - especially as I want to try actives this time around.

Is there any info on the lifestyle range? Are you running any Q85 you would like to sell? :)

I don't think Ken has the rights to the quatro tweeter design from what I remember, if anyone knows otherwise please chime in.

I don't think Ken has the rights to the quatro tweeter design from what I remember, if anyone knows otherwise please chime in.
[/QUOTE

I thought he designed the Quattro tweeter

I think it was a design house he was working with at the time which was owned by Claridy the folks who also designed the sub amps and they were also the amps and tweeters that were used in the XTZ subs and Cinema range.

Ken had a falling out with them and hence no longer uses the tweeters an amps in his systems.

Is there any info on the lifestyle range? Are you running any Q85 you would like to sell? :)

I got this from his Facebook page:

These are quick teaser photos of the R&D prototypes of the TRIO and DUO 11.1 speaker system components without their final finished hardware and refined details. The TRIO is a Home LifeStyle version of my new miniature powered studio monitor speaker which is timbre matched to my big studio monitors. One photo shows the TRIO next to an original Miller & Kreisel Sound powered studio monitor speaker so you can see the size comparison.

The TRIO's and DUO's feature my new PROFESSIONAL High Output Neodymium Transmission Line 1" tweeters. They will be available in a variety of finishes including high gloss black, high gloss white, matte/satin black, and natural aluminum, with optional cloth covered curved grilles. Passive, powered, and 7.1 powered wireless versions will be available.

Hope you like these quick teaser photos, please let me know if you do...KEN

I got this from his Facebook page:

I can’t see it on Facebook although I don’t use Facebook. Any pics?

Be interesting to see what happens, i was tempted to sell my Quattro's but depends on what`s coming out i guess.

I hope this isn't violating any rules:

80207987_2572743096113117_1912278345379217408_o.jpg
80349669_2572742869446473_7919100793884508160_o.jpg
80534215_2572742876113139_1953844115451936768_o.jpg
80658101_2572743019446458_1572059593427648512_o.jpg
80678725_2572743066113120_4758830154879336448_o.jpg
80693870_2572742742779819_870270527195840512_o.jpg
80981909_2572742962779797_8655426289143906304_o.jpg
81062246_2572743002779793_4675254489345687552_o.jpg
81537493_2572742756113151_9040826546566201344_o.jpg

Be interesting to see what happens, i was tempted to sell my Quattro's but depends on what`s coming out i guess.
Let me know if you sell :)

So KK doesn't seem to offer any "in ceiling" speakers. What would be the best-matched in ceilings? I know there are some 'angled quattros' (q85 maybe?) but presumably all things being equal you would want true in-ceilings rather than trying to bridge the distance to where the sound is supposed to come from.

are MKSound IW85s a decent match in 'philosophy'? Any other brands/models come to mind?

That said, in this thread the Q125QFH might be the right one.. but he says don't use in-ceiling at all... confused.. - if not in-ceiling then what..

Last edited:
So KK doesn't seem to offer any "in ceiling" speakers. What would be the best-matched in ceilings? I know there are some 'angled quattros' (q85 maybe?) but presumably all things being equal you would want true in-ceilings rather than trying to bridge the distance to where the sound is supposed to come from.

are MKSound IW85s a decent match in 'philosophy'? Any other brands/models come to mind?

That said, in this thread the Q125QFH might be the right one.. but he says don't use in-ceiling at all... confused.. - if not in-ceiling then what..
QFH are On-Ceiling, as opposed to In-Ceiling. I can’t recall ever seeing a manual for them, but they did have a unique but optional way of being wired. I can’t remember the details, I have 2 of these as Front Heights.
its a moot point, as they are no longer available, and probably the rarest of the Quattro. Q85 would work too imo, but the same issue of availability.
XTZ range might be a match too, but again, not in-ceiling.
What other speakers have you got?

QFH are On-Ceiling, as opposed to In-Ceiling. I can’t recall ever seeing a manual for them, but they did have a unique but optional way of being wired. I can’t remember the details, I have 2 of these as Front Heights.
its a moot point, as they are no longer available, and probably the rarest of the Quattro. Q85 would work too imo, but the same issue of availability.
Q85, QFH and the Q125trifx all share the basic setup. Think of it this way, Q85 are direct firing, QFH are always a tripole design and the Q125trifx can be direct firing, dipole and tripole

KK Q125 LCR+TriFX, and my fronts are Quad 2912 (a bit of an unusual mix, I admit, but all of them are touted as being very uncoloured, flat frequency response, analytical etc etc.

Q85, QFH and the Q125trifx all share the basic setup. Think of it this way, Q85 are direct firing, QFH are always a tripole design and the Q125trifx can be direct firing, dipole and tripole

Tripole, KK said somewhere (I think..) that with Atmos - object based - this is not needed anymore, but the latest line - KS500 3D Surround seems to be tripole as well.

Anyway I guess I might indeed see if I can get those IW85's from MK.. or alternatively something from XTZ although it'd be matched less well I imagine.

KK Q125 LCR+TriFX, and my fronts are Quad 2912 (a bit of an unusual mix, I admit, but all of them are touted as being very uncoloured, flat frequency response, analytical etc etc.

Tripole, KK said somewhere (I think..) that with Atmos - object based - this is not needed anymore, but the latest line - KS500 3D Surround seems to be tripole as well.

Anyway I guess I might indeed see if I can get those IW85's from MK.. or alternatively something from XTZ although it'd be matched less well I imagine.
I have x4 xtz s2 and they work well with my KK setup

I have x4 xtz s2 and they work well with my KK setup
(ah, or you saw this thread a few seconds earlier ;) )

S2s: are yours in-ceiling, or did you affix them against the ceiling?

Tripoles are still very much a part of object based audio speaker systems. We always try and specify tripoles for our cinema installs.
If you need help with MK in ceilings please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Tripoles are still very much a part of object based audio speaker systems. We always try and specify tripoles for our cinema installs.
Would you use tripoles ideally as rears? sides? both?
If you need help with MK in ceilings please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Sounds to me MKs are 'closer cousins' to my KK's than XTZ, but of course budget is also a thing. (quick google seems to say IW85 is roughly 600 for a single one, XTZ S2's are 350 for a pair).. I might have to do some soul searching, and will definitely drop you a line if my inner audio perfectionist wins the battle ;)

(ah, or you saw this thread a few seconds earlier ;) )

S2s: are yours in-ceiling, or did you affix them against the ceiling?
78BDBCDF-7FD4-43E7-907B-006805596BFA.jpeg

Here you go...

Would you use tripoles ideally as rears? sides? both?

Sounds to me MKs are 'closer cousins' to my KK's than XTZ, but of course budget is also a thing. (quick google seems to say IW85 is roughly 600 for a single one, XTZ S2's are 350 for a pair).. I might have to do some soul searching, and will definitely drop you a line if my inner audio perfectionist wins the battle ;)
Yes they are I believe. I would also suggest the new MK IC95’s at £300 a pair. We have these on permanent demonstration. I see you are Hertfordshire based. Our showrooms are in Hertfordshire.

The QFH are switchable between Direct and TirFx too. Q125Trifx were the same, plus switchable to Dipole too.

The practicalities of this meant much more wiring to a switch box, or at each speaker manually.

i ended up setting up as Direct only, since object based audio came along, following advice from KK.

Attachments

• KK Speaker Wiring Options QFH.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 72
  • KK Speaker Wiring Options TriFX.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 44
The QFH are switchable between Direct and TirFx too. Q125Trifx were the same, plus switchable to Dipole too.

The practicalities of this meant much more wiring to a switch box, or at each speaker manually.

i ended up setting up as Direct only, since object based audio came along, following advice from KK.
Love you’re setup! If you ever want to off load some of those KK’s give me a shout! 😁

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom