The JVC LT-26DX7 and LT-32DX7 thread

David Mackenzie

Ex Member
Reaction score
My aging, non HD-ready Sony LCD has started to pack in so it's time for me to start looking for a replacement.

Thanks to GaryB who posted in the 2006 LCDs thread, I've found a JVC offering that is very, VERY appealing indeed - the 26" LT-26DX7BJ.

The fact that this has 2 HDMI inputs and a VGA in at a pretty impressive price, means it will probably become a forum favourite unless there's some big problem with it. I have found one online supposedly in stock for £873 and as such I may be placing an order soon. If so, I'll naturally handle it very carefully and subject it to my very picky audition before deciding to keep it or not and share the results here with you all.

jvc_26.jpg

JVC LT-26DX7BJ

The important features

* Component Video in (still gotta have it)
* 2x HDMI inputs! Yes, two! EVEN ON THE 26" MODEL.
* Integrated DVB ("Freeview") tuner
* Component Video in!
* DIST, which is their picture enhancing technology
* Analogue VGA (D-SUB) in for your PC (or Sega Dreamcast)
* 2x SCART inputs.
* 1:1 display of 1360x768 over VGA input, although not officially supported (thanks GaryB)

Links @ JVC:
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=LT-26DX7BJ&catid=100088 (26")
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=LT-32DX7BJ&catid=100088 (32")

Anyone else have this on their list?

Well I was getting a Samsung LE32M61B, I may have to re-consider now....

the 32" is on my list, after the 32DX6 can be had for less than £1000 now. What is the price for the 32"? Are there any panel/picture processing improvements over the DX6?

The same site lists the 32" version at £1111.84.
As far as I know it's identical in all but size to the 26", but JVC's site doesn't have any tech specs on the panels right now.

That small price increase over current price of DS6 seems worth it for the extra HDMI port compared to the price of a switch box.

That's helped stay my hand I was this close to ordering a DS6 as I wasn't sure what price the new models would come out at.

Wayhey finally the JVC site updated, well this is on my list for sure I just hope the main retailers stock them soon.

For all those who sent me a PM asking for the Instruction Book, I have now managed to squeeze it into my web space. It's at:

http://home.btconnect.com/garyb/inst_dx7.pdf (8Mb)

If you can't get this for any reason, let me know and I'll send it by email but I will have to do it from home later tonight as our firewall here at work times out with large attachments when I send them via Hotmail.

does anybody know if there is a difference in picture quality and performance between ds6 and dx7?

Thanks for the manual Gary.

jvcblight1wt.gif

Very pleased to see that this LCD has a backlight adjustment, JVC call it "Bright1" while "Bright2" is the conventional style of Brightness adjust.

On the down side, the only PC resolutions accepted are 640x480 and 1024x768 according to the manual, but I'm OK with that because it still lets me use a Dreamcast with it and it won't be TOO long before we have Blu-Ray players to feed into one of the HDMI inputs :smashin: Besides, I usually view VGA in as a little extra anyway.

Have u fully tested these models Garyb? I have a few questions:D

1. There are 3 picture modes can all these be changed to personal settings and saved?

2. Also are the pictures features also be changed and saved to each picture mode as well?

3. I looked through the manual at the picture of the remote, there does'nt seem to be a button to cycle through the picture modes.

4. Does connecting pc work 1-1 pixel mapping straight out the box, or do I need to mess with programs like powerstrip?

Cheers!

Last time the 2 frontrunners on my list were the JVC and the Tosh 32WLT58, the Tosh just won with 2 hdmi. Now with the Tosh coming soon as well looks like another JVC vs Tosh battle is on the cards for me. I might just buy both at the same time and do a proper head to head:D

1. There are 3 picture modes can all these be changed to personal settings and saved?
I'm interested to know this - does each video input have its own Picture options? For example if I set the Brightness to 50 on HDMI 1 and the Brightness to 40 on Component, will the set remember these settings the next time I change back to that channel or do I have to adjust every time I switch input?

Kong said:
does anybody know if there is a difference in picture quality and performance between ds6 and dx7?

Yes. the DX7 has a newer version of DIST. It's particularly better on fast moving pictures.

Lyris said:
On the down side, the only PC resolutions accepted are 640x480 and 1024x768 according to the manual, but I'm OK with that because it still lets me use a Dreamcast with it and it won't be TOO long before we have Blu-Ray players to feed into one of the HDMI inputs :smashin: Besides, I usually view VGA in as a little extra anyway.

I've tested the set at 1360/1368x768 using Powerstrip and it works fine. HD clips look excellent. If you have a newish video card that will allow you to select manual resolutions, you won't need Powerstrip.

What is the point in offering PIP facility when it is so compromised:rolleyes:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the manual states it don't work with HDMI, PC, DTV (crazy as this is what it would be primarily used for imo).

Is there a technical difficulty (maybe a cost issue) as to why so many LCD's don't offer PIP when watching DTV?

domtheone said:
What is the point in offering PIP facility when it is so compromised:rolleyes:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the manual states it don't work with HDMI, PC, DTV (crazy as this is what it would be primarily used for imo).

Is there a technical difficulty (maybe a cost issue) as to why so many LCD's don't offer PIP when watching DTV?

It's actually more PAP (Picture and Picture) rather than PIP but it can do most of what you mention. A quick check shows it can do:

DTV on left/Analogue TV on right.
HDMI 1 or 2 on left/Analogue TV on right.
HDMI 1 or 2 on left/External input on right.
Analogue TV on left/External input on right.
External input on left/External input on right.

What is the point in offering PIP facility when it is so compromised
So they can add it to their corporatey spec sheets, I'd imagine.

A better question IMHO is "What is the point in offering PIP facility" but I know some people find it useful :)

Gary, great news about the resolution, thanks a lot - the manual writing people slip up again it seems. This one is looking to be a winner.

funcky said:
Have u fully tested these models Garyb? I have a few questions:D

Yes.

2. Also are the pictures features also be changed and saved to each picture mode as well?

No. These affect all modes.

3. I looked through the manual at the picture of the remote, there does'nt seem to be a button to cycle through the picture modes.

They are only accessible through the menu.

4. Does connecting pc work 1-1 pixel mapping straight out the box, or do I need to mess with programs like powerstrip?

Depend on your video card. If it's a newer card that lets you overrride the standard settings it will work fine. If not, you will need Powerstrip.

Last time the 2 frontrunners on my list were the JVC and the Tosh 32WLT58, the Tosh just won with 2 hdmi. Now with the Tosh coming soon as well looks like another JVC vs Tosh battle is on the cards for me. I might just buy both at the same time and do a proper head to head:D

I'd suggest the JVC, but then I would, wouldn't I.

By the way, in case anyone like what they hear about this but wants something larger, I'm currently testing the 40" version. This uses a similar cabinet design to the DS6 model but has the newer innards of the DX7.

Lyris said:
Gary, great news about the resolution, thanks a lot - the manual writing people slip up again it seems. This one is looking to be a winner.

They haven't actually slipped up, although may appear like it. The set only officially supports 640x480 and 1024x768, both at 60Hz. The fact that it supports higher resolution is a fortunate by-product of the design (very fortunate when you see it working with HD material).

GaryB said:
It's actually more PAP (Picture and Picture) rather than PIP but it can do most of what you mention. A quick check shows it can do:

DTV on left/Analogue TV on right.
HDMI 1 or 2 on left/Analogue TV on right.
HDMI 1 or 2 on left/External input on right.
Analogue TV on left/External input on right.
External input on left/External input on right.

Well that's actually more than I thought it could do.:rolleyes:

Looking at the manual i got the impression that DTV is a no no, as was PC, and HDMI!

That's a real pity that it doesn't have per-input settings - that can sway a purchase for me. Nevertheless, I'll give this a good look but also keep the Sony V in mind.

GaryB said:
funcky said:
No. These affect all modes.
When you say they affect all modes, are you talking about the "features" as listed in the manual (picture processing options) or all picture settings such as brightness, colour, contrast etc?

It would seem to be a serious oversight if you can only have three preferences for all those inputs. (surely it's only a hundred or so bytes to store that information)

Think he means the picture processing affect all modes so u can't save 3 different sets of picture features. There is always at least one thing missing, well I gotta see what the new Tosh is missing. Then see which features I need the most, I have no doubt the pictures on both will be good. Any idea when the stores like Currys or Dixons will be getting them?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom