1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The judder issue

Discussion in 'Projectors & Screens Forum' started by Yukikaze, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze Standard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

To preface: I seem to be very sensitive to juddery images. I traded two plasmas in. The latest models are great, but the picture is juddery, shaky, unstable, not just in pans or quick camera moves either -- all the time. The image is almost 'nervous,' and not very comfortable to watch.

My question is: which entry level projectors (or brands) have the least amount of judder, preferably without "Intelligent Frame Creation" type modes?

Thank you!

2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +1,533
    sounds like you are very sensitive, I would just go and demo as many as you can. What you will see I probably wont.

3. Riz_Mini

Riz_Mini Active Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Hi there,
    I think your probably referring content recorded in 24/25/30 frames per second?
    I don't suffer from being sensitive to this kind of content but I am very aware of the frame judder, having got a new Optoma HD33 project it can eliminate this issue using its PureMotion4 engine, I also know that my cousins Panasonic VT20 also has a processor to remove judder.
    Have you tried a Panasonic Plasma, if so enable the TrueMotion engine (not sure what its called) and see if it makes a difference.

Riz :)

4. Yukikaze

Yukikaze Standard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct.

Believe TrueMotion is something LG (and possibly others) use. Panasonic has its own set of modes, none of which present a particularly pleasing image.

Thanks for the advice, guys, guess I'll have to simply try a bunch of projectors and see which one doesn't make my head scream. :D A shame seemingly no (cheap-ish) projectors have 48 or 72fps modes. Believe that's how they solve flickering, possibly judder, in theaters. I suppose there's a slight difference between a film print and a Blu-ray, though...

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +3,562
    JVC projectors display 24p at 96Hz IIRC. However, they still have issues with motion which effects some more than others (never bothered me on my old HD350). I did own a Panasonic AE3000 briefly which had 2 modes (I think, maybe 3) of frame creation. The lowest one was pretty good and I left it on for all film viewing. The newer models have this (or perhaps an improved version) so might be worth looking at, though it's a shame to give up a better black level of the JVCs due to a motion sensitivity, it might be the compromise you need. There is a cheaper 2D only model I believe for under £2k that is the descendant of the model I used to have.

You could pick up a used AE3000/4000 for under £1,000 in the classifieds if the new prices are out of reach.

Haven't been on here for a while as I've just got back from holiday, but good to see the devore/contrast thread is onto part 2 now. Worth a read for any projector newbe.