The Joys of Second hand,anyone?

keithwiggins

As a typically tight Yorkshire man , i approach buying anything with complete reluctance. However when one of your hobbies encompasses audio in all its various guises ,allied to a love of technology, then my hobby and my ethos really do battle against each other.

I like every one else on this platform want a great picture and matching audio excellence. However over the years , i have come to realise/accept that buying new ,isnt always the best strategy, particularly when it comes to value. Just looking at soundbars as an example, are most of this years crop significantly better that bars released last year?
Maybe slightly, maybe not?

as an example I recently acquired a Dali Kubik one soundbar as well as a Dali ikon subwoofer , full rrp £1600, purchased via Fb marketplace for £310. Yep thats the price for the 2, from 2 different buyers, unbelievable, both in terrific condition and working as god intended. Accept there is no warranty, but thats the only drawback, sound quality is superb.

I wanted a speaker for another room, purchased an Arcam rcube from gumtree , £35.00 looks like new sounds splendid, connected via an echo dot using a 3.5m lead, perfect.

I have a smart tv but saw a Apple tv 3rd gen locally for £20.00 ( gumtree) grabbed that , viola, picture and sound both better than the tvs built in apps. Just about to go and collect a Huawei Sound X , brand new £90.00, for another room, again a Fb purchase.

The point i am making here is, with a bit of research and knowledge, anyone can build really high quality sounds for there homes for pennies in the £, just requires a bit of risk, but if you pay with paypal that risk is heavily diminished ( do not pay using friends and family as that doesn't offer buyer protection). Obviously, if my washer breaks i buy a new one with extended warranty, not worth the hassle used as an example, but i will seek out an interest free deal. if im buying a car though always used, but japanese as they dont break.

Accepting we are all different and view purchases quite differently but just throwing this out there.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
As a Yorkshire man by proxy (having lived in Harrogate for 13 years now, at least people no longer cross the street to avoid a southern incomer) the big issue that I have with buying second hand is that you just don’t know how well it’s been cared for. Age comes into consideration too, especially for electronics. Components age, intermittent faults can surface.

Then there’s support. As an example, I have a perfectly good Panasonic FreeviewHD PVR purchased in 2013, which is still going strong, but there have been no firmware updates for it for a good 5 years now. A broadcasting change, introduced a few years back, effectively killed its ability to record anything carried on the COM7 mux. Luckily, the change was regressed. That sort of thing can happen to just about any bit of consumer electronics, reducing that savvy-looking bargain to no more than an expensive paperweight.

I’m not saying that buying secondhand is a bad thing, far from it, but for me, buying new does give me some piece of mind.

Zombie Twin

I'm half Yorkshire (my father's family), so love a bargain and am quite frugal. I have no problem buying second-hand, as long as there is a decent amount of life left in what I am paying for.

Early this year, I picked up an old Eltax subwoofer for £30, and gives me all the heft and weight of something I was prepared to buy new and pay £150 for. I do as much research on the seller as possible first, asking questions about what I'm buying, and get guarantees/assurances where possible.

Conversely, when I have sold the pieces of equipment I have upgraded over the years (TVs, amps, etc), they have all been in superb condition, and those buying from me have picked up a bargain.

My wife (a full soft-Southerner) is a professional child-minder, and is forever seeing parents spend so much money on things their infant offspring is going to grow out of very quickly. Their warped believe that their preciously ickle bubkin is only going to have new stuff is insanity, and a madness many don't have the luxury of affording at the best of times, let alone of late.

In the end, it's all a bit of a gamble, but if you are buying from an honest trader, then you can save yourself a packet as long a you can keep your pride in check.

keithwiggins

I'm half Yorkshire (my father's family), so love a bargain and am quite frugal. I have no problem buying second-hand, as long as there is a decent amount of life left in what I am paying for.

Early this year, I picked up an old Eltax subwoofer for £30, and gives me all the heft and weight of something I was prepared to buy new and pay £150 for. I do as much research on the seller as possible first, asking questions about what I'm buying, and get guarantees/assurances where possible.

Conversely, when I have sold the pieces of equipment I have upgraded over the years (TVs, amps, etc), they have all been in superb condition, and those buying from me have picked up a bargain.

My wife (a full soft-Southerner) is a professional child-minder, and is forever seeing parents spend so much money on things their infant offspring is going to grow out of very quickly. Their warped believe that their preciously ickle bubkin is only going to have new stuff is insanity, and a madness many don't have the luxury of affording at the best of times, let alone of late.

In the end, it's all a bit of a gamble, but if you are buying from an honest trader, then you can save yourself a packet as long a you can keep your pride in check.
The point you make on the kids stuff is particularly pertinent. Gear for kids, lasts only weeks, spending big money on designer outfits is, i agree insanity, when you can get comparable from George for pennys in comparison.
I am constantly surprised also by how much of peoples income they spend on cars, i was at a house the other day ( house bought last year for £135k according to zoopla) homeowners had on there driveway a Tesla and a range rover, both on lease, now thats insanity , both work from home.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Second-hand cars can be a bit of a nightmare though. I speak from experience. There can, of course, be problems with new vehicles, but you have a lot more redress.

keithwiggins

Second-hand cars can be a bit of a nightmare though. I speak from experience. There can, of course, be problems with new vehicles, but you have a lot more redress.
Fully agree, however something used maybe a couple of years old with balance of 7 year warranty left is a good bet.

keithwiggins

Quick update collected Huawei sound x, all working via echo dot on Bluetooth ( low cost smart speaker after all)
sounds really very good, plenty of power, bass and clarity. For 90 quid unused brand spanking , exceptional value warranty till next year.
Far better sq than a homepod/sonus at a similar rrp, just lacks wifi outside china but happy to live with that.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom