The Joys of a Proper HiFi Store

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Butters, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Butters

Butters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    So i have been looking for some new cans for a while now and taking sneaky dems in department stores in between shopping trips with the missus and basing selection on reviews. I am blessed with a fabulous store just a 25 minute drive away (Custom Cable / Unilet) and found the time to take a visit there today - and man am i glad i did!

I was fairly set on shipping in some Sennheiser Momentum's, either on ear or over. I had tried out both variants but never back to back as the likes of John Lewis or the dreaded Currys/PC World didn't have them available. I had also demoed B&W P7s against the Momentum Over ears at the Apple Store but discounted them at the time.

So - the magic of a proper store, greeted by Phil who passed over a pair of Momentums and the P7s - i had to give them a retry :), the big difference was the environment and the advise. There was no upsell or pushiness, just the invite to take a seat in a lovely quiet environment in a comfy leather chair and left alone whilst i thrashed through my playlists........bliss.

The outcome....well my ears upsold me to the P7s, when positioned in a comfortable chair instead of hunched over a display stand with impossibly short leads and security tags hanging on the headband i actually got to properly test both cans, back to back in comfort, and my ears let me know the best choice for me.

Thank heavens there are still quality stores with knowledgeable people around. Thanks to Phil @Custom-Cable, and to top it all i was cut a more than very fair deal after my ears were intent on breaking my bank managers heart.

2. ChisChas

ChisChas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I popped into a nearby Apple store with my Colorfly C4 Pro last Friday and didn't enjoy the P7/C4 Pro combo, I found the bass wasn't controlled properly on some tracks and was too dominant at times also. I spent about 45 mins listening to the P7's.
    Just proves the importance of a dem and how some kit works with other kit and not with other things.
    What are using your P7's with?

3. Butters

Butters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Nothing special - just a plain old iPhone5s, but compared to my Bose QC15, Sennheiser MMX450, Klipsche Ones and B&W P5s they were just on a completely different level. It really is horses for courses with these things and agreed you really do need to take some proper time to listen to your favorite selection of demo tracks to see what works for you. I have genuinely found that the more i listen with them, the more i love them. Good luck with your hunt and finding what works for you. I still say the best way to do this is finding a quality dealer with a great selection of cans and a comfy chair to do back to back testing on the same set of tracks :)

4. ChisChas

ChisChas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Agree re finding a good hi fi dealer, I have purchased from Unilet, know Phil & Jo! They sell the Colorfly C4 Pro if you ever feel like upgrading your portable music source. Also consider the new Sony NWZ-ZX1 and the Astell & Kern 100.

5. Butters

Butters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Holy moley..........how much! ;)