1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Joy of Ebay

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by WSB, May 4, 2005.

1. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just thought I'd share the miracle that is ebay(!)

I've been using it for a few weeks to pick up cheap dvds and can really encourage it- ok- they arent all new but all that means is i dont have to worry about unwrapping the plastic wrapper(!)

Last thing i bought was Romper Stomper and got it for a bargain £2.02 including shipping.

Just thought I'd share that with all you folks so hooray for ebay :clap:

2. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
  3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    I avoid eBay as I never know what’s real or pirate. I’ve had a few unpleasant surprises in the past. However, if you can trust the seller I do agree that are some genuine bargains on eBay.

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Tejstar. I bought the HOFD Acrylic set which was sealed (good price and respected seller), and have bought one or 2 others, but would say to any new e-bay members to tread really carefully especially with new titles.

5. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    Have bought three off e-bay and two were pirates despite image of genuine product, 100% feedback and British location etc. Even managed to receive a GBA cartridge which was counterfeit. Now I only buy things like walking socks and very old CDs from there.
    Best sticking to the forums classifieds. E-Bay simply don't police their listings and aren't bothered when you report pirate items to them.

6. yeah_baby

yeah_baby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought several times and never had any pirates. Also depends whether you mind a slightly scruffy sleeve and case - I'd never buy a DVD I really really wanted on there because in all likelihood it'll arrive looking like what it is - a DVD someone else has finished with! But for films you just fancy having a look at I would definitely recommend.

Recently I've had Spider-man SE, X-Men, Crouching Tiger, Flatliners, Flawless and City By The Sea each for less than £3.50 inc delivery (cheapest was £2.20). Sometimes it's worth taking a risk!

7. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    Glad to hear someone's had a good experience with eBay.
    I never managed it when I tried to buy discs.The few (four) I tried were all pirates,and despite advising eBay of this,the sellers are still on there hawking their stolen goods.
    I think the idea of eBay as a global car boot sale is great.But car boot sales can be raided by TSO's and police,and those caught can be prosecuted.eBay just ignores anything pirated on their site,so does this mean they're happy to comply with criminals?Surely they have a duty of care?

8. scott666

scott666
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ebay used to crack down on the pirates but I think there's been a change of policy recently.....last time i checked there were a couple of pages of pirated Incredibles DVDs available from the UK, they're obvious to spot with buy-it-now prices of 5-6quid....now they seem to be using the same arguement as the file-sharing sites that they are not doing anything illegal are are not responsible for other peoples actions. If anyone is really bothered about it then the pirates should be reported to trading standards as it's their responsibility to deal with it......

9. halfacandan

halfacandan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've never had a pirate DVD and I've bought loads. Of course, I never go for foreign sellers, "region free" or new releases that aren't out yet. I find that if you ask the sellers before the auction then they won't lie about their product. Of course some still avoid the truth rather than lie so you are best to cover all avenues of escape. Here's what I always ask:

"Is this item a copy/bootleg/pirated version or anything other than an original, licensed, retail edition, published with express consent from the owner of the rights?"

Perhaps a bit extreme but it's worked so far :thumbsup: .

10. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,316
    Thread moved.

11. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do something like that as well (one the few occasions I've used eBay) but on one occasion the seller got really upset thinking I was calling him a thief or something & sent a really long angry email. :eek:

Generally I avoid purchasing DVDs from eBay because there's far too many pirated copies going around and I would rather buy from a legitimate seller than take the risk on eBay.