The "It's not valid" Thread

Zone

Please post any Plastic Fork pictures in here that are not valid for entry to the main competition for whatever reason :D

SprocketRocket

Novice Member
Oh yeah, I got loads of them, I'm just going through them now to try and piock the best ones... :rolleyes:

weaviemx5

Distinguished Member
This is a shot I took for a photo competition a few months ago where I work;

Not a plastic fork but I might have to crack out the hot steam to have a go at one again...

Cheers
Steve

tracymae

Novice Member

hamd01

Last edited by a moderator:

shotokan101

Suspended
...and the "plastic" would be the fake smile I take it ? :devil:

Jim

Zombane

Didn't enter this one as it looses the focus on the fork, so I went for a lower angle, and closer shot.

shotokan101

Suspended
Ah well - I call that a "Junction" or "Give Way" and not a Fork in the road and to be pedantic I wouldn't say that the fork was actually "in the road" either. :)

I think a viewpoint from the back left of that shot looking down on the fork/junction at - say 45 degrees - covering a smaller area might have worked better.

Sorry if this only sounds critical but as I mentioned in the Photo Comp entry for it I too was thinking along similar lines on this one so it's just "my vison" spilling through.

BTW - as it's nearly Halloween I was planning on using a Plastic Devils Pitchfork cut off at an oblique angle to give the illusion of it being plunged into the road.

Jim

Zombane

All forked roads have give way lines ;)

shotokan101

Suspended

mark800

Distinguished Member
This is a shot I took for a photo competition a few months ago where I work;

Not a plastic fork but I might have to crack out the hot steam to have a go at one again...

Cheers
Steve

That's absolutely lovely. It's a very striking image, and I love the reflection. I'm not sure about the dark bit at the bottom though, which is a touch distracting and takes your eye away from the dark fork.

shotokan101

Suspended
Well here's some alternative ideas I was looking at

First is a reshoot at ISO80 similar to my competition entry

This is "Fork Lift - Fork Lift"

Next are some alternative views of a "fork flower arrangement"

Jim

Last edited:

nikonuser11

Well here's some alternative ideas I was looking at

First is a reshoot at ISO80 similar to my competition entry

This is "Fork Lift - Fork Lift"

Next are some alternative views of a "fork flower arrangement"

Jim

WOW you gotta get out more:rotfl:

only kidding

shotokan101

Suspended
LOL - wait till you see the others :rotfl:

Jim

P.S. I get out in another year - if I behave myself - LOL ;)

Last edited:

Jonstone

I'm guessing we all have a lot of alternative shots this month, its one of those subjects where its hard to come up with something different but you can have a lot of fun trying.

Here is one of my other attempts plastic fork on wet granite slab with a very shallow dof trying to get some interesting bokeh but not totally succeeding

shotokan101

Suspended
I really like that one :cool: - I'd personally prefer a little more contrast between the fork and granite colours though and the DOF really works well IMO and this missing feature on my Camera is what will probably force me to eventually move up to a DSLR.

Jim

shotokan101

Suspended
Another couple from my "Forked Up Ideas List"

Tine Clock or Fork Time ?

Pitch Fork or Tuning Fork ?

Jim

Jonstone

I think the clock idea was a very good one.

One comment I would make is that in my limited time taking photos, the piece of advice that has helped me the most was one about the importance of light in a scene.

Simply changing the angle that light hits a scene can greatly enhance a picture, where the highlights are, the effect of shadows etc.

For set piece stuff I just bought a few lights of ebay with the right colour spectrum and it has helped me a lot although I am still very much a novice and still learning how best to light a scene.

If you only have the on camera flash to help light a scene it will tend to hamper your creativity.

shotokan101

Suspended
Thanks for that Jonstone - very much appreciated. :) and I undertnd exactly what you're saying about these shots ;)

I certainly agree about the benefit of having alternative light sources available and the dramatic impact that they can have on an image - you anly have to look at some of the current and previous competition entries to see just how big a differnece lighting can make.

BTW - I also freely admit to how Naff the lighting is in all the "alternatives" I've posted here an I've really been using these as sort of "Storyboarding" shots to capture elements of the ideas I've got on my list from thinking about the "Plastic Forks" topic.

Can I ask what you mean by "the right spectrum" ? is this a specific type of bulb/lighting for indoor shots or does it vary by subject ?

Thanks for the feedback :smashin:

Jim

Jonstone

Can I ask what you mean by "the right spectrum" ? is this a specific type of bulb/lighting for indoor shots or does it vary by subject ?

Bulbs all have their very own colour spectrum or colour temperature, its why you have settings on your camera for different types of light, tungsten fluorescent etc.

If you buy bulbs with a colour temperature and spectrum closer to natural daylight then that requires the least adjustment in the camera or pp.

I am a complete novice though so I am sure someone else here can explain it better, I don't want to give you the wrong advice.

shotokan101

Suspended
Ah - O.K. - I did appreciate the camera white balance settings etc. but I just thought you were talking about perhaps using some specific lighting to "override" this for effect :)

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby honoured by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • By Andy Bassett