Zone

Reaction score
On Reflection :cool:

A fair few from my Photostream fit the theme including some oldies and goldies

relsyrhC - Chrysler: Reflected
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Fountains Abbey Weir
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Any time, any place, anywhere - tight crop?
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Looks like the last time the theme was "Reflection" and I entered was in February 2014

Tall and Bent
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Le Char d’Apollon, Versailles
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Monet's water garden, Giverny
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Tokyo Skyscrapers
by AMc UK, on Flickr

HiPPO, Upton Staithe
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Homeward bound
by AMc UK, on Flickr

All great shots but #1 is still absolutely stunning - pretty sure you could sell that as a print.... :cool:

All great shots but #1 is still absolutely stunning - pretty sure you could sell that as a print.... :cool:

It's a great shot. But for a print it would need a clear blue sky and some general contrast :) It's an excellent point of view though, and one of those "oh I wish I'd taken that" shots.

@Marika - definitely the first, a very unusual prespective.
@snerkler - the second, the colour makes a big difference.
@MeanDorris - the last one, so much detail and contrast.
@AMc - number four, it takes a few seconds to see what the reflection is.

It's a great shot. But for a print it would need a clear blue sky and some general contrast :) It's an excellent point of view though, and one of those "oh I wish I'd taken that" shots.

It’s quite old, from our first trip to New York. I only took a pocket canon camera and left my DSLR at home.
I spotted the reflection of The Chrysler Building opposite and took the shot. Not noticing that I was stood in one of the entrances.
I spotted an almost identical shot on Flickr just after I uploaded and they had better weather :)
I still like it though.
@AMc - number four, it takes a few seconds to see what the reflection is.
Sadly that was another shot from Manhattan. As much as I’d love to go back I don’t think it’s happening this month ;)

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I've got a fair few, but I may have to be creative this month as my month is packed with events that I'll struggle with reflections on.

London 3rd Nov 18-6142 by Lee aka Rancidpunk, on Flickr

Folkestone October 2018-5184 by Lee aka Rancidpunk, on Flickr

Leeds Castle by Lee aka Rancidpunk, on Flickr

Smew by Lee aka Rancidpunk, on Flickr

Llyn Gwynant by Lee aka Rancidpunk, on Flickr

Cotswold Wildlife Park by Lee aka Rancidpunk, on Flickr

7. Reflection and refraction
RSPB Old Moor (125) by Lee aka Rancidpunk, on Flickr

Number 4 for me, perfect perspective.

I am sorry to say this, but I actually prefer this one :) Sorry! It's always a risk to post the other versions :blush:

Thanks (I think :) ). It was a toss up between this one and the one I posted. Thought the police car took a bit of the focus in this. I could have cropped it out, but it would have taken out the row of taxis that I did like. Also there were 2 rays of light coming in from the top left, and I wasn't quite sure about them.

Look at it this way, you managed to get two different favourites out of this.

A wider view of my entry, showing how I had to be at an angle to get the reflection I wanted.

IMG_5525 by iWanders, on Flickr
I like this. Just to make it even worse for you I've just had a quick play with this photo and using Lightroom you can get a similar pic to your entry that is perfectly straight as well as taking the keystone effect out :facepalm: ;)

But don't worry, your entry pic is still very good imo :smashin:

Thanks (I think :) ). It was a toss up between this one and the one I posted. Thought the police car took a bit of the focus in this. I could have cropped it out, but it would have taken out the row of taxis that I did like. Also there were 2 rays of light coming in from the top left, and I wasn't quite sure about them.

The police car and everything else in the picture are parts of city landscape photography. I am not bothered by the angle in your entry shot in the slightest, I just like this wider view 'because' of the added elements of human life around the buildings. That's just how I roll. I'm sure your entry choice is correct for 99% of the forum members and especially the ones who take part in this competition and vote. So you've done nothing wrong there :)

As my mother is fond of saying "It would be boring if we were all the same".

I like this. Just to make it even worse for you I've just had a quick play with this photo and using Lightroom you can get a similar pic to your entry that is perfectly straight as well as taking the keystone effect out :facepalm: ;)

But don't worry, your entry pic is still very good imo :smashin:
*very friendly rant on*
Getting a bit anal editing other people's competition entries. Please don't ever do that to my shots ;) I enter them as I see them and as they are meant to be for me. If someone's angle doesn't please your eye, I would say that's entirely your problem :) There are multiple ways to see a photo and ramrod straight is not always the only one/only correct one. In fact, there is not correct way, unless you're talking about a very specific photo that has to be taken certain way for it to work (hmm.. can't think of an example right this second, funny that). For me the angle in that shot gives the impression that the building keeps going on up to great heights (although from the other shot I know it doesn't). Photography is all about impressions it makes to people. Picking a photo apart because it doesn't please your perfection seeking aesthetic eye is a bit scary in a very casual photo competition. *very friendly rant off* :p:love::cool::smashin: /peace

I don't mind the "feedback", it's been quite a while since I regularly entered the Photo Comp or even took photos with my DSLR (though this wasn't taken with that), family life has gotten in the way over the last 7 years or so, and with not working at the moment I hope to have more time to get back into it.

I'm just glad it has brought out different opinions and discussion.

To make matter worse (for me), I was at the South Bank today, and took the below.

IMG_5533 by iWanders, on Flickr

I await the "This is better, I would have entered that" :)

Just to keep you happy...

*very friendly rant on*
Getting a bit anal editing other people's competition entries. Please don't ever do that to my shots ;) I enter them as I see them and as they are meant to be for me. If someone's angle doesn't please your eye, I would say that's entirely your problem :) There are multiple ways to see a photo and ramrod straight is not always the only one/only correct one. In fact, there is not correct way, unless you're talking about a very specific photo that has to be taken certain way for it to work (hmm.. can't think of an example right this second, funny that). For me the angle in that shot gives the impression that the building keeps going on up to great heights (although from the other shot I know it doesn't). Photography is all about impressions it makes to people. Picking a photo apart because it doesn't please your perfection seeking aesthetic eye is a bit scary in a very casual photo competition. *very friendly rant off* :p:love::cool::smashin: /peace
It was done purely out of my own curiosity, not as part of a judgement on the photo or that my way is better in any way shape or form, I think you’ve mis-judged what I was doing :smashin:

You ought to see what I’ve done with some of your photos in the past though :eek: :devil: ;)

(Obviously joking :p)

No he's not M he sent them to me to comment on - "Honest Injun'"........ :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom