The Italian Job (it's a digipack)

Setenza

Prominent Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
3,349
Reaction score
194
Points
803
Great film, great extras, what more could you ask for?

That Paramount refrain from putting such good material in such appalling packaging.

Digipacks (or however you spell them) are the spawn of Satan.

[expletives removed by admin]
 
haven't got mine yet. according to play it was sent recorded delivery (??!!) to my work on friday
 
I received my copy on Friday, watched it last night.

Very good image quality, the sound quality on the 5.1 mix is a little disappointing.
 
What the heck's a digipack when it's at home? Could it possibly be worse than those awful cardboard things that WB still put their stuff in?
 
Hi,

A "digipack" is basically, a fold-out cardbaord package, with clear plastic trays for the disc(s) to fit into. This is then housed, in another cardboard sleeve.

They're okay, but not great! Plus, they look and smack of cheapness!

Pooch
 
An Amray case would have been far more aesthetically pleasing.

Still, it's nice to get a decent replacement for my trusty old NTSC laser disc version.

Talking of Digipacks, they always make a product look cheap, having a nasty tendency to show wear and tear. With reference to my earlier comment, I'd like to point out that the UK version of the "Omen" trilogy comes in a digipack that folds out into a crucifix (shouldn't that be an inverted crucifx) and really is the spawn of satan...............

I'll shut up now.
 
Ah yes, my R2 Blackadder is in one of them things. Ugh :( I'm going to have to buy some empty cases soon cos of all this naff packaging.
 
Isn't it amazing how opinions and tastes vary - I love digipacks and wish all DVDs were presented this way, I usually go out of my way to find rare digipack alternatives to the standard cheaper plastic amaray versions.
I don't really understand why anyone would describe them as "smacking of cheapness" - I would argue the complete opposite - all my favourite DVDs are in digipacks: Se7en, Raging Bull, Moulin Rouge, Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Apocolypse Now Redux, Memento...
They obviously are not cheap to produce as most DVDs presented in Digipacks are limited editions - after a few months they revert to using plastic amaray cases. And they wont wear out if you look after them properly - I have some that well over two years old and have been watched to death, but they still look as good as the day I got them.

:)
 
I personally don't like 'em. Cardboard will always wear far worse than Plastic.
 
I like 'em.

Never had any wear 'n' tear problems either.

Also, to me, they feel a lot more 'classy' than a plastic box.

Horses for courses it seems.
 
I have 4 'digipacks' and all 4 had to be glued together when I recieved them as the palstic had come away from theh cardboard. As has been said, cardboard is not a hard weraring susbtance, and corners are very hard to keep square, now matter how careful you are.
 
just got mine... and no it's not just a digipack... it's the smartest, best designed dvd digipack i have ever seen. I appreciate good design and layout and someone has actually put some thought into this one. it looks gorgeous.
 
Digipacks might look nice but they dont wear well. I too had to stick some of mine back together. My Predator SE has only sat on the shelf since I got it and even that had to be re-stuck. I much prefer the good old plastic case.
 
I much prefer digipacks they look far more classy

when you compare the packaging of a digipack such as Fight Club to say a 2 disk plastics such as Gladiator

Fight Club wins hands down

I know it's down to taste but if you prefer plastic to digipacks clearly you have none

;)
 
Digipacks are a rammy piece of card board with a transparent inlay tray for the DVD glued in.

The cardboard is prone to knocks, glue drying out, getting crushed in the post.

Take the UK version of Abyss: Special Edition. Foul, tacky, nasty, revolting, fifth grade, cheapo, uninspiring, verminous, cak, digipack.

US version, nice double amray case. Robust, neat, functional.

Digipacks are tasteful? I have more taste in my c*ck!
 
Originally posted by Xusia Of Delos
Digipacks are a rammy piece of card board with a transparent inlay tray for the DVD glued in.

The cardboard is prone to knocks, glue drying out, getting crushed in the post.

Take the UK version of Abyss: Special Edition. Foul, tacky, nasty, revolting, fifth grade, cheapo, uninspiring, verminous, cak, digipack.

US version, nice double amray case. Robust, neat, functional.

Digipacks are tasteful? I have more taste in my c*ck!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
 
Originally posted by Lex
Isn't it amazing how opinions and tastes vary - I love digipacks and wish all DVDs were presented this way, I usually go out of my way to find rare digipack alternatives to the standard cheaper plastic amaray versions.
I don't really understand why anyone would describe them as "smacking of cheapness" - I would argue the complete opposite - all my favourite DVDs are in digipacks: Se7en, Raging Bull, Moulin Rouge, Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Apocolypse Now Redux, Memento...
They obviously are not cheap to produce as most DVDs presented in Digipacks are limited editions - after a few months they revert to using plastic amaray cases. And they wont wear out if you look after them properly - I have some that well over two years old and have been watched to death, but they still look as good as the day I got them.

:)
I like a quality digipak but received C.E. pulp fiction R1 this morning, it's in what I would call a pretend digipak-thin cardboard with poorly glued trays made from leftover easter egg plastic packaging, it starts to come apart as you unfold it.
 
No.

All references with regard to the splendid flavour of my love truncheon, are supported by sworn statements of my previous female sexual partners.

This however, does not alter the fact that digipacks are cheap and nasty.

Bit like the level of humour abounding at the present.
 
NO, they are cheap and nasty in some peoples opinion.

And the simple solution to stop them looking tatty is to take care of them, like I do :)
 
The product does not lend itself to being kept well.

Plus I resent the implication that I do not handle these items with the same level of care that you do. Do you have some exclusive talent that others don't? Like a force field or something? ;)

Even if you touched this packaging whilst wearing an enviroment suit, it would still spoil.

I would assume that digipacks are cheaper to produce that amray cases.

As for nasty, that is a subjective choice, but I would like to put this to a vote, to once and for all lay this matter to rest.
 
Originally posted by Confucius
NO, they are cheap and nasty in some peoples opinion.

And the simple solution to stop them looking tatty is to take care of them, like I do :)
the new pulp fiction digipak comes apart as it is being unpacked, normally I like digipaks but not this type of cheapo crap.
 
I find it does lend itself to being kept well.

Whether you resent the implication or not is none of my concern - I own a large number of digipack'd discs, all of which are in fine fettle. I merely speak as I find. I would add of course, that it wasn't intended as an insult - but then there does seem to be something about the internet that makes people take things the wrong way.

Well, no, it doesn't spoil when I touch it - no suit of any kind needed.

I have my doubts that a digipack is cheaper than an amaray - an amary has simply been moulded, or more likely a flat sheet of plastic that has been 'stamped'.

What point would a vote serve. If it were 100 to 1 in favour of either sort it wouldn't alter the '1s' opinion, would it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't yet have the Pulp Fiction or Jackie Brown digipacks in my possession , both are somewhere over the Atlantic, so I am unable to comment on their merits or otherwise.
 
;) The inclusion of this icon usual denotes a humour.

A vote would indeed not change anyones opinion. But would give a good indication of users feelings towards products packaged this way.
 

The latest video from AVForums

StormAudio ISR Fusion 20 AV Receiver - review coming soon #HomeCinema #Amplifier #VideoShort
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom