The Italian Job - 40th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 20th May 2011.
Depending what age, sex and nationality you are, the quintessentially British 60s heist caper The Italian Job is either massively overrated or unquestionably iconic. I can see the value in both arguments, as the film is, technically, quite flimsy - in terms of script and performances - and meanders through a very lightweight plot to get to what it an undeniably standout closing car chase. Bolstered by the charm of Michael Caine, peppered with some of the most memorable, oft-quoted lines in British film history, and brimming with all the trademarks of the glam, camp, swinging sixties, yes, the film is not great, but it is fabulous.

On Region Free UK Blu-ray we get video that may frustrate purists - it looks very good for its age, but leaves the grain structure far from intact - and a couple of key audio options which should please both those who prefer their 40 year old classics to be presented in their original mono, and those who are perfectly happy to have a fairly decent remix. There's a wealth of comprehensive, quality extras, including everything from the previous SD-DVD special edition, and fans should consider this a quality upgrade, especially considering its now-bargain price. Lightweight saturday afternoon fare it may be, but bloody good fun it is nonetheless.

Read the full review...

Yeah, not a patch on Transformers (8/10), or Tron Legacy (9/10)... REAL Classics those are... people'll be quoting from those for decades, and admiring the ground breaking stunts... Oh Wait....

KBeee said:
Yeah, not a patch on Transformers (8/10), or Tron Legacy (9/10)... REAL Classics those are... people'll be quoting from those for decades, and admiring the ground breaking stunts... Oh Wait....

Did you actually read the review or just look at the score?

It may have great quotes and great stunts but how do those alone make it a good movie? Really I'd be quite happy just to go on quoting the movie and never actually sit through the whole thing again. Sorry but I agree with the reviewer - this one's better talked about, rather than actually seen again in the cold, harsh light of day.

Did you actually read the review or just look at the score?

It may have great quotes and great stunts but how do those alone make it a good movie? Really I'd be quite happy just to go on quoting the movie and never actually sit through the whole thing again. Sorry but I agree with the reviewer - this one's better talked about, rather than actually seen again in the cold, harsh light of day.

I've got to agree there - the pacing of The Italian Job is just bizarre to a modern viewer at times, and the constant one-liners during the legendary chase even rob that of much of its power. The individual stunts are impressive, but the chase as a whole outstays its welcome with some horrible longueurs.

Mind you, I'd also rate Transformers about a 3/10, so I'm not saying it's worse than that.

Guys - I'm 90% sure that it's actually treason to be British and not love The Italian Job!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom