1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The isnt the 9986 an overated LCD thread?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by la gran siete, Apr 13, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Well isnt it?Overpriced too.

2. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Actually viewed the 9986 in the flesh yesterday @ Currys, PQ was OK considering the feed, didn't like the styling, but thats a personal opinion of course. But the Price! £2500, yes I know you can get it for 2K online, interestingly I went next door to Miller Bros and spotted the Samsung 32" 41B, the PQ was just as good and the styling was superior IMHO, the price of the Samsung £1269 (which can be had for £959 delivered online).

So either way the Philips is double the price of the Samsung. OK Samsung has its own version of Pixel plus and doesn't have component connections, but it does have a Dot for Dot HDCP compatible DVI input, unlike the Philips which struggles when connected to a HTPC (well documented in these forums) Oh and the Samsung had a better viewing angle.

So I have to conclude that the Philips 9986 is somewhat overpriced and over rated. Just using the Samsung as a direct Brand name comparison, could also compare the Philips with the 32WL48, or the new Hitachi's.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9986 is still unsurpassed with regard to picture quality but it is starting to look a bit expensive...this is really highlighted by the fact that the new 9830 when it arrives later in the summer will actually undercut it quite significantly.

It is getting to the point now that Philips retailers should pull the price down to the £1500+ mark for this model to smooth the transition to the 9830. Having said that, many would say that any item is worth what people will pay for it, and it seems that the 9986 is still seducing the punters with its myriad features to still justify its pricing....

It is still the DB's...

Jimmy

4. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I paid £1900 and am more than happy with it :smoke:

5. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You may well slag this set off for the top price but-
    It has twin tuners for PIP.
    3 Scart sockets (2 RGB)
    Ambi-light
    Comes with glass stand and wall mount.
    Most other sets have one tuner, 2 scart sockets and a cheap looking plastic stand and the wall mount is not included so costs extra. When you way up the pro's and con's of the price I think you will find it not a bad deal really. I was reluctant to spend £1950 on my set but once delivered thought it worth every penny.

6. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Agreed, £1500 would be a sensible price, hope the DVI/PC issues are fixed on the new 9830, look forward to seeing a review, don't think I can hold out that long though! Would of made a decision 6 months ago if not for these forums.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Little titbits on the 9830.

It'll have HDMI, DVI, Component, and 3 Scarts plus assorted other connections. No word on PC compatability just yet.

It is only the expected lower pricing of this set that makes the 9986 look like it is a little expensive now.

Jimmy

Jimmy

8. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Jimsan,
    Just wondering where you get your info re the forthcoming 9830? My 9986 went back to JL two weeks ago due to various probs and I'm really hoping the 9830 will address the contrast hum and (for me, anyway) flicker and uneven back light issues. Has anyone got a firm release date and RRP?

John

9. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.... Dunno if this is the correct thread to put this in but since there are a whole bunch of you folks that own a 9986....

I have a table-top stand that came with my 9986 and I don't use it at all since I bought the suspension stand. If anyone wants it I will consider any reasonable offers + postage....Just drop me a private message and I'll pick it up.

P.S All those skeptics on the 9986....it rocks!

Cheers.
    S

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    La Gran Siete,

Looks kinda like this is turning into another 9986 appreciation thread!

Sorry buddy....

Jimmy

11. Trotsky

Trotsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 9986 for just over a month and think it is brilliant, both the picture quality and looks. If you look on the internet you can get it for around £1,800 as well.

12. sn00p

sn00p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could get it off eBay for £1600 :)

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just Google for 32PF9830 and you'll get the gen....

RRP for the 32" is £2299, so expect £1800 quite quickly with low of £1500 - £1600, depending on supply and demand. Actually, I find these prices hard to believe, but that is what Philips are stating. Even with no discount I suspect this TV will be awesome for the money.

The backlight on the 32" 9830 will be completely different from anything else on the market. It's going to be a scanning backlight, which, if I understand correctly, will 'chase' the pixel changes at the same frequency as the scan. This is going to result in Pixel Response of circa 6ms and, more importantly a 'five fold' improvement in black levels.

I would wait if I were you.....July or August I would say...

Jimmy

14. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I think the idea of the scanning backlight is to make the LCD work in a similar way to a CRT in that you have a scanning spot. This means that the area of the screen which is not being scanned will have no backlight and so will appear dark.

It also means they can hide the pixel reaction time by only lighting up the pixel once it has changed rather than having it lit up while the change is taking place.

It will be interesting to see how well it works.

I suppose it should be less power hungry as you only have a small part of the display lit up at once.

Cheers

15. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks, Jimmy.
    I'd already tried Google and came up with hardly anything. Then I realised I'd been searching for the 9380 not the 9830 :oops:
    July is not too long to wait.....is it ??? :)

16. Cutler

Cutler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I e-mailed Phillips last week to ask them about the new 9830 and they replied telling me that it would definately be launched in August and not before.

17. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's not really your fault as a number of reviews initially had the nomenclature as 9380. It is definitely the 9830.

You're right, there isn't much info around just yet...August eh?

Jimmy

18. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was browsing the various home cinema magazines today in newsagents and read an article on the forthcoming philips range, i think in "what home cinema", this stated £3800 as the price for the 32PF9830. Quite some way more expensive than the £2300 that was previously suggested. I also managed to find a link earlier today quoting the same figure, but unfortuantely I cannot seem to find this link now. Sorry for being a bit vague, will be able to confirm magazine tomorrow.......unless anyone else has seen the same article???

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  20. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, I originally posted that article! Pretty certain it was the 32pf9830 though they suggested retailing at £3,800 - seriously hope this is wrong though!

Found the article (what video and widescreen TV), took cameraphone picture of it. Sorry for poor quality pic, but it does say £3800......

Attached Files:

21. Herb

Herb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd post to bring your attention to my edit above

22. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll stick my neck out and suggest that the PC compatability will be poor...

As for the 9986 I hate the poor connectivity, poor PC support and the fact that the 37" model is taller, wider and possibly even deeper than a 45" sharp!

23. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >possibly even deeper than a 45" sharp

Note that the Philips is an all-in-one unit and the 45" Sharp has an external box.
    The all-in-one Sharps are about the same depth as the Philips.

But indeed the width and height of the Philips design are a lot compared to other designs.
    I meant the maximum I could setup here is a 32" while a 37" Sharp would have fitted easily.

And I really don't understand why a pixel-for-pixel fullscreen PC mode isn't offered.
    (apart from possible fears for support calls from Windows users who read in the manual that the resolution is 1366x768 but cannot set their PC to that resolution)

24. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps it is that all the LCD TV manufacturers make DVD players too? Why have good PC connectivity when it means someone might not buy your dvd player?

25. ukmgranger

ukmgranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am totally P****d-o** at the PC connectivity of the 9986. I soley use my PC for all my viewing, listening needs (SageTV) so the fact that it doesn't connect is a massive issue for me :mad: .

I have tried everything to get it looking good - but to no avail!

I am currently stuck viewing it at a resolution of 800x600 (VGA not DVI) as this is the only one that I can get a 'full' picture from.

Using 1280x720 is not an option! There are huge black borders around the sdge of the screen. And there is no way I am spending close to 2K on a screen and not use all the pixels.

I have managed to get a 15:9 screen that looked pixel perfect, but again - 15:9 for 2K. I want 16:9!!

I really can't express the anger that I can't get a pixel perfect image from my PC in full screen.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

The image quality of the screen and the styling are great.

DO NOT BUY THIS SCREEN IF YOU WANT TO CONNECT IT TO A PC!!

26. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Wait for the new Sharps to arrive???

27. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one's exactly? The 5 series no longer mentions 1368x786 in the manual I think, so there's a chance that it doesn't support it (I don't think anyone on the forum has tried) The new Sharps use the same panel as the new Loewe Xelos A series, and again, reading the manuals there is no mention of the ability to cope with non VESA resolutions.

If you've got more info that suggests that I'm talking rubbish and they will do 1:1 mapping then please do let me know...

EDIT- Perhaps the LC 37D7U Iain, as dot for dot is mentioned on some of the sales websites...

28. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The current GA3 and GA4 ( but no stock ) worked fine and there are plenty of posts on here to confirm that. The GA5's were meant to be a low cost option, to run along side these higher spec sets. There is no reason to believe that the new models will have less functionality. There are some posts on here somewhere with the specs..

29. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess we'll have to wait and see... I'm just getting a bit tired of waiting though :)

30. sharoe

sharoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a few 9986s and I have to say that given the bog standard feed you usually get in Curry's, Comet etc. they do look to be a cut above the others on display. At least with poor quality signals. With a decent signal I doubt you could better the Sharp, Sony or Toshiba's I've seen.

Anyway, I was discussing makes and models with two of the better quality outlets in Leicester this week. The first one recommended Sharp and wouldn't touch Philips at all because of their poor reliability - they had their reputation to maintain.

In the second the guy said the only Philips product he would buy would be a shaver. Described Philips as 'quite innovative' but poor on reliability and after sales service.

I know what they mean because I've had trouble with Philips products myself. When I eventually get my long awaited LCD I'm in it for the long haul so reliability is important. That's one of the reasons I've gone for the Toshiba. It arrives soon then we'll see if I've made the right choice. But no way would I risk a Philips.